World Police and Fire Games
Learn more about World Police and Fire Games
The World Police and Fire Games (WPFG) are a biennial athletic event open to active and retired law enforcement and fire service personnel throughout the world. The WPFG Federation is an arm of the California Police Athletic Federation (CPAF), a U.S. organisation.
Held every two years, the Games offer approximately sixty sports (and almost 80 disciplines), including Angling, Wrestling and Pistol Shooting. Participation is approximately 10,000 entrants, slightly fewer than the Summer Olympic Games, and exceeding the third position holder, the Commonwealth Games.
The California Police Olympics were first held in 1967 in San Diego, California, USA, and have been held annually since. In 2000, they became the California Police and Fire Games, when firefighters were invited to compete. In 2005, they changed yet again to become the Western States Police and Fire Games (WSPFG). Eight western US states are currently invited to participate: California, Arizona, Hawaii, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington. The 2005 Games were held in Reno, Nevada, the first time they have been held outside of California. San Diego, California will Host the 2006 WSPFG, and Mesa, Arizona was recently selected to host the 2007 Games.
- 2011: New York, New York, USA
- 2009: Vancouver area, British Columbia, Canada
- 2007: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia http://www.2007wpfg.com
- 2005: Québec City, Québec, Canada http://www.2005wpfg.com
- 2003: Barcelona, Spain http://www.2003wpfg.org
- 2001: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- 1999: Stockholm, Sweden
- 1997: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- 1995: Melbourne, Australia
- 1993: Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA http://www.coloradospringswpfg.org
- 1991: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
- 1989: Vancouver, Canada
- 1987: San Diego, California, USA
- 1985: San Jose, California, USA
Each instance of the Games has its own logo since at least 1999, and there is a flag sporting that logo as well (the 2005 flag is attested, but not the earlier Games).ca:Jocs Mundials de Policies i Bombers fr:Jeux mondiaux des policiers et pompiers de:World Police and Fire Games ja:世界警察消防競技大会