Learn more about Wikimedia Foundation
|Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.|
|Founded||June 20, 2003|
|Headquarters|| Image:Flag of the United States.svg St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
<tr><th style="text-align:right; padding-right:0.75em;">Key people</th><td>Florence Nibart-Devouard, Chair of the Board
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is the parent organization of the Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikibooks (including Wikijunior), Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons, Wikispecies, Wikinews, Wikiversity, and Meta-Wiki collaborative projects. It is a not-for-profit corporation based in St. Petersburg, Florida, USA, and organized under the laws of the state of Florida. Its existence was officially announced by Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, who was hitherto running Wikipedia within his company Bomis, on June 20, 2003. Its approval by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, by letter in April 2005, as an educational foundation in the category "Adult, Continuing Education" means all contributions to the Wikimedia Foundation are tax deductible for U.S. federal income tax purposes.
 Foundation goals
In addition to the multilingual general encyclopedia Wikipedia, the Foundation manages a multi-language dictionary and thesaurus named Wiktionary, an encyclopedia of quotations named Wikiquote, a repository of source texts in any language named Wikisource, and a collection of e-book texts for students (such as textbooks and annotated public domain books) named Wikibooks. Wikijunior is a subproject of Wikibooks that specializes in books for children.
The continued growth of each of the Wikimedia projects is dependent mostly on donations but the Wikimedia Foundation tries to increase its revenue by finding alternative means of funding such as grants and sponsorship.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a 501(c)(3) with a vision to bring a free and accurate encyclopedia to every single person on the planet. This includes people who currently do not have electricity, computers, Internet access, or even clean drinking water. All proceeds from donations, as with all proceeds from all Foundation fundraisers, are fully dedicated to that charitable purpose.
 Foundation history and growth
The name "Wikimedia" was coined by Sheldon Rampton in a post to the English Wikipedia's mailing list in March 2003.<ref>Wikipedia English mailing list message, March 2003.</ref> The name has been criticized for its similarity to the name of Wikipedia and the software it runs on, MediaWiki; this sometimes leads to confusion among people new to the project.
With the Foundation's announcement, Wales also transferred ownership of all Wikipedia, Wiktionary and Nupedia domain names to Wikimedia along with the copyrights for all materials related to these projects that were created by Bomis employees or Wales himself. The computer equipment used to run all the Wikimedia projects was also donated by Wales to the Foundation. The domain names wikimedia.org and wikimediafoundation.org were secured for the Foundation by Wikipedia contributor Daniel Mayer. Wikimedia's bandwidth and power are covered by donations to the project from various companies and individuals.
In January 2004, Jimmy Wales appointed his business partners Tim Shell and Michael Davis to the Board of the Wikimedia Foundation. In June 2004, an election was held for two user representative Board members. Following one month of campaigning and two weeks of online voting, Angela Beesley and Florence Nibart-Devouard were elected to join the board; they were re-elected in July 2005. Wales and Beesley later launched a startup company, Wikia, which is affiliated with neither Wikimedia nor Bomis, though it donates to Wikimedia.
Later, other official positions were developed: Tim Starling was appointed Developer Liaison to help improve the organisation of the development of the MediaWiki software, and Daniel Mayer was appointed Chief Financial Officer to help keep a budget and coordinate fund drives. Erik Möller had been the Chief Research Officer, but resigned in August 2005 due to differences with the board.<ref>Wikimedia Foundation mailing list message, August 2005.</ref> James Forrester was subsequently appointed to the position.
On June 16, 2006, Brad Patrick, theretofore a practicing attorney engaged in pro bono work with the Foundation, was named as general counsel and interim executive director; in the latter capacity, Patrick was designated to assist the Board in its search for a permanent executive director<ref>Wikimedia Foundation press release</ref>.
On July 1, 2006, Angela Beesley resigned from the board effective upon election of her successor, expressing concern about "certain events and tendencies that have arisen within the organisation since the start of this year," but stating her intent to continue to participate in the Wikimedia projects, and in the formation of an Australian chapter.<ref>Wikimedia Foundation mailing list message, July 2006</ref> After her resignation, a special election was held and the winner, Erik Möller, will finish Angela Beesley's term, ending with the ordinary 2007 election.<ref>Wikimedia Foundation mailing list message</ref>
 Wikimedia coordination and projects
 Wikimedia projects
The launch dates shown below are when official domains were established for the projects and/or beta versions were launched; preliminary test versions at other domains are not considered.
- Encyclopedia containing more than 5 million articles in 250 languages (launched 2001-01-15).
- Dictionary cataloging meanings, synonyms, etymologies and translations (launched 2002-12-12).
- Collection of free educational textbooks and learning materials (launched 2003-07-10).
- Collection of quotations structured in numerous ways (launched 2003-07-10).
- Project to provide and translate free source documents, such as public domain texts (launched 2003-11-24).
- Wikimedia Commons
- Repository of images, sounds, videos and general media, containing more than 700,000 files (launched 2004-09-07).
- Wikimedia Incubator
- Used to test possible new Wikimedia projects and new languages for existing projects.
- Directory of species data on animalia, plantae, fungi, bacteria, archaea, protista and all other forms of life (launched 2004-09-13).
- News source containing original reporting by citizen journalists from many countries (launched 2004-12-03).
- Courses, course materials, tests. Announced to go into beta testing, little has been officially decided on its structure (launched 2006-08-15).
 Project coordination
 Recent project history
- September 7, 2004: The Wikimedia Commons was launched.
- December 3, 2004: After a brief demonstration phase in November, the English beta version of Wikinews became operational. Wikinews is meant to be a free content news source which allows anybody to report news on a wide variety of subjects.
- April 2005: 501(c)(3) non-profit status granted by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service with the NTEE Code: B60 (Adult, Continuing Education).
- November 2005: Wikimedia awarded membership in the World Technology Network.
 Board of Directors
 External links
- Wikimedia Foundation website
- Wikimedia Foundation bylaws (PDF file)
- Corporate Charter of Wikimedia Foundation Inc. two page TIFF file located on Florida Department of State, Divisions of Corporations web site
- Public Record for Wikimedia Foundation Inc. from Florida Department of State web site
- Sheldon Rampton's WikiEN-l post
- Interview with Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder
- 2005 IRS Form 990 for the Wikimedia Foundation
- "WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION, INC." is registered as a Florida Non Profit entity with the Division of Corporations of the Florida Department of State 
| Projects of the Wikimedia Foundation
<td style="vertical-align: middle; width: 1px" rowspan="2"> Image:Wikimedia.png </td>
|Wikibooks (Wikijunior) • Wikiversity • Wikimedia Commons • Wiktionary • Wikinews • Wikipedia • Wikiquote • Wikisource • Wikispecies • Meta-Wiki • Wikimedia Incubator|
ar:مؤسسة ويكيميديا ast:Wikimedia az:Wikimedia zh-min-nan:Wikimedia bg:Уикимедия ca:Wikimedia cs:Wikimedia da:Wikimedia de:Wikimedia el:Wikimedia es:Fundación Wikimedia eo:Wikimedia eu:Wikimedia fo:Wikimedia fr:Wikimedia gl:Wikimedia ko:위키미디어 재단 hr:Wikipedija:Wikimedija id:Wikimedia ia:Wikimedia it:Wikimedia Foundation he:קרן ויקימדיה jv:Wikimedia csb:Wikimedia lb:Wikimedia lt:Vikimedija li:Wikimedia Foundation hu:Wikimedia Alapítvány mk:Викимедија mo:Викимедия nl:Wikimedia Foundation nds-nl:Wikimedia Foundation ja:ウィキメディア財団 no:Wikimedia nn:Wikimedia pl:Wikimedia Foundation pt:Wikimedia ro:Wikimedia ru:Фонд Викимедиа sco:Wikimedia sq:Wikimedia simple:Wikimedia Foundation sk:Wikimedia sl:Ustanova Wikimedia sr:Задужбина Викимедија sh:Wikimedia fi:Wikimedia sv:Wikimedia tl:Wikimedia Foundation tt:Wikipedia:Wikimedia Foundation th:มูลนิธิวิกิมีเดีย vi:Wikimedia tr:Wikimedia uk:Wikimedia vec:Wikimedia Foundation yi:וויקימעדיע zh-yue:維基媒體基金會 bat-smg:Vikimedėjė zh:维基媒体基金会