Learn more about Wikia
| Wikia, Inc.
<tr><td colspan="2" style="text-align:center; padding:16px 0 16px 0;">Image:Wikia.png</td></tr>
|Headquarters|| Image:Flag of the United States.svg San Mateo, California, USA
<tr><th style="text-align:right; padding-right:0.75em;">Key people</th><td>Jimmy Wales
Wikia is a selective wiki hosting service (or wiki farm) founded in 2004 by Jimmy Wales and Angela Beesley under the name Wikicities. Wikia particularly targets communities, both those established offline and those with a purely online following. It is free of charge for readers and editors, and gets its income from the AdSense advertisements present in most of its wikis.
Wikia covers a broad range of topics; most widely-scoped community projects are accepted, with the exception of ideas that compete with the Wikimedia projects, which the Wikia founders are heavily involved in. Wikia requires all content to be licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License, or multi-licensed under the GFDL and another free content licence. Wikia also has some crossover with Wikipedia, with the communities of Wikia being linked on the relevant Wikipedia article in many cases.
Wikia uses MediaWiki software on Linux servers, and claims to provide both technical and social support for all aspects of running a wiki community.<ref>Template:Cite web</ref> The project announced the creation of its one hundredth wiki on February 3, 2005.<ref>Template:Cite web</ref> As of August 2006, it had over 1,500 wikis in 48 languages,<ref name="forprofitspinoff">Template:Cite web</ref> and its Alexa traffic ranking was around 3000,<ref>Template:Cite web</ref> (Uncyclopedia and Memory Alpha, two of their most popular wikis, are not included in this figure).
Wikia changed its name from Wikicities on March 27, 2006 to prevent confusion; some had mistakenly thought that Wikicities provided city guides.<ref>Template:Cite web</ref> Following this change, Wikia announced that it had received US$4 million in venture capital from Bessemer Venture Partners.<ref name="VentureCapital">Template:Cite web</ref>
Wikia, Inc. is a company based in San Mateo, California, USA.<ref>Template:Cite web</ref> The company was originally incorporated in Florida in December 2004 and re-incorporated in Delaware as Wikia, Inc. on 10 January 2006. Angela Beesley has served since the beginning as Wikia's Vice-President of Community Relations,<ref name="Venture">Template:Cite web</ref> while Gil Penchina, a former vice president and general manager at eBay, was hired as CEO on June 5, 2006. Gil had previously been one of a group of angel investors in the company.<ref name="CEO">Template:Cite web</ref><ref name="Venture">Template:Cite web</ref> Michael E. Davis, a former business partner of Wales, who now serves as a member of the Wikimedia Foundation board and that organization's Treasurer, was named Treasurer and Secretary of Wikia in January 2006.
Wikia has some technical staff in the USA, but also opened an office in Poznań, Poland in 2006. Explaining his choice of location, Wales commented "It's about reasonable salaries and high quality. You can find cheaper programmers in other parts of the world, but the quality's not there."<ref name="forprofitspinoff" />
 Active Wikia sites
- Uncyclopedia* (home), a satirical parody of Wikipedia, in over 20 languages
- Wookieepedia (home), a Star Wars Wiki, along with a non-canon Star Wars fanon wiki (home) and SW1ki (home), a Star Wars MUSH database
- Memory Alpha* (home), a reference to the Star Trek series, and its non-canon partner (home)
- Wikiality, an "internets tube dedicated to truthiness" (and Stephen Colbert's Colbert Report in general)
- WikiFur (home), an encyclopedia of furry fandom
- Dofus (home), a wiki dedicated to the MMORPG-like tactical game of the same name
- 香港網絡大典 (home), an encyclopedia of virtual communities in Hong Kong
- Cyber Nations Wiki (home), a wiki for players of the nation simulation game Cyber Nations
- Muppet Wiki (home), a database on the works of Jim Henson, particularly The Muppets
- Teletraan-1 (home), a fan-maintained database of Transformers knowledge
- RuneScape Wiki (home), a encyclopedia for the MMORPG RuneScape
* Note: Uncyclopedia and Memory Alpha were founded separately, and are hosted by Wikia (in a variety of languages) under Creative Commons licenses.
 Further reading
 News reports
- From Wikipedia's Creator, A New Site for Anyone, Anything — Wall Street Journal, March 28, 2005
- Global Villages Convene in wiki town halls — St. Petersburg Times, April 4, 2005
- For-profit wiki - Marketplace (radio program) August 30, 2006de:Wikia