Learn more about September 29
September 29 is the 272nd day of the year (273rd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 93 days remaining in the year on this date.
- 522 BC - Darius the Great kills the Magian usurper Gaumâta. Thereafter Darius takes his rightful place as the true king of the Persian Empire.
- 61 BC - Pompey the Great celebrates his third triumph, for victories over the pirates and the end of the Mithridatic Wars on his 45th birthday.
- 48 BC - Pompey the Great is assassinated after landing in Egypt on his 58th birthday (records are unclear, may have occurred September 28).
- 440 - Leo I becomes pope.
- 855 - Benedict III becomes pope.
- 1066 - William the Conqueror invades England.
- 1364 - Battle of Auray: English forces defeat French at Brittany; end of the Breton War of Succession.
- 1567 - The second War of Religion in France breaks out.
- 1567 - At a dinner, the Duke of Alba arrests the Count of Egmont and the Count of Horne for treason.
- 1650 - Henry Robinson opens his Office of Addresses and Encounters - the first historically documented dating service - in Threadneedle Street, London.
- 1789 - The U.S. War Department first establishes a regular army with a strength of several hundred men.
- 1789 - The first U.S. Congress adjourns.
- 1829 - The Metropolitan Police of London, also known as the Met, is founded.
- 1850 - The Roman Catholic hierarchy is re-established in England and Wales by Pope Pius IX.
- 1864 - Sign of the Treaty of Lisbon between Spain and Portugal.
- 1864 - American Civil War: The Battle of Chaffin's Farm is fought.
- 1907 - The cornerstone is laid at Washington National Cathedral in the U.S. capital.
- 1911 - Italy declares war to the Ottoman Empire.
- 1918 - The Hindenburg Line is broken by Allied forces during World War I.
- 1924 - Plutarco Elías Calles is proclaimed President of Mexico.
- 1938 - Britain, France, Nazi Germany and Italy sign the Munich Agreement, allowing Germany to occupy the Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia.
- 1939 - World War II: capitulation of Poland to Germany.
- 1941 - Holocaust in Kiev, Ukraine: German Einsatzgruppe C starts Babi Yar massacre. According to the Einsatzgruppen Operational Situation Report No. 101, at least 33,771 Jews from Kiev and its suburbs were killed at Babi Yar on September 29 - 30, 1941.
- 1943 - U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower and Italian Marshal Pietro Badoglio sign an armistice aboard the British ship Nelson off the shore of Malta.
- 1954 - The convention establishing CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) is signed.
- 1954 - Major League Baseball: Willie Mays of the then New York Giants makes "The Catch" at The Polo Grounds in game one of the World Series.
- 1957 - 20 MCi (740 petabecquerels) of radioactive material is released in an explosion at the Soviet Mayak nuclear plant at Chelyabinsk.
- 1962 - Alouette 1, the first Canadian satellite, is launched.
- 1963 - The second period of the Second Vatican Council opens.
- 1964 - The Argentine comic strip Mafalda is published for the first time.
- 1965 - The NSA memorial lists ten agents lost on this date.
- 1972 - Sino-Japanese relations: Japan establishes diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China after breaking official ties with the Republic of China.
- 1988 - NASA resumes space shuttle flights, grounded after the Challenger disaster, with STS-26.
- 106 BC - Pompey the Great, consul of Rome, (d. 48 BC)
- 1321 - John of Artois, Count of Eu, French soldier (d. 1387)
- 1328 - Joan of Kent, wife of Edward, the Black Prince (d. 1385)
- 1388 - Thomas of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Clarence, son of Henry IV of England (d. 1421)
- 1511 - Michael Servetus, Spanish humanist (d. 1553)
- 1547 - Miguel de Cervantes, Spanish author (d. 1616)
- 1548 - William V, Duke of Bavaria (d. 1626)
- 1561 - Adriaan van Roomen, Flemish mathematician (d. 1615)
- 1571 - Caravaggio, Italian artist (d. 1610)
- 1636 - Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury (d. 1715)
- 1639 - Lord William Russell, English politician (d. 1683)
- 1640 - Antoine Coysevox, French sculptor (d. 1720)
- 1678 - Adrien-Maurice, 3rd duc de Noailles, French soldier (d. 1766)
- 1691 - Richard Challoner, English Catholic prelate (d. 1781)
- 1703 - François Boucher, French painter (d. 1770)
- 1725 - Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, British general and statesman (d. 1774)
- 1758 - Horatio Nelson, British admiral (d. 1805)
- 1786 - Guadalupe Victoria, 1st President of Mexico (d. 1843)
- 1803 - Jacques Charles François Sturm, French mathematician (d. 1850)
- 1810 - Elizabeth Gaskell, British novelist (d. 1865)
- 1842 - Louis J. Weichmann, chief witness in the trial of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln (d. 1902)
- 1843 - Mikhail Skobelev, Russian general (d. 1882)
- 1853 - Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX of Denmark (d. 1933)
- 1864 - Alexandra Kitchin, British model for Lewis Carroll (d. 1925)
- 1864 - Miguel de Unamuno, Spanish writer and philosopher (d. 1936)
- 1895 - J.B. Rhine, American parapsychologist (d. 1980)
- 1895 - Roscoe Turner, American aviator and racer (d. 1970)
- 1898 - Trofim Lysenko, Stalinist biologist (d. 1976)
- 1901 - Enrico Fermi, Italian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1954)
- 1901 - Lanza del Vasto, Italian philosopher and activist (d. 1981)
- 1904 - Greer Garson, British actress (d. 1996)
- 1907 - Gene Autry, American actor and businessman (d. 1998)
- 1908 - Eddie Tolan, American athlete (d. 1967)
- 1910 - Virginia Bruce, American actress (d. 1982)
- 1912 - Michelangelo Antonioni, Italian film director
- 1913 - Trevor Howard, English actor (d. 1988)
- 1913 - Stanley Kramer, American film director (d. 2001)
- 1920 - Peter D. Mitchell, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1922 - Lizabeth Scott, American actress
- 1924 - Steve Forrest, American actor
- 1930 - Colin Dexter, British author of Inspector Morse novels
- 1931 - Anita Ekberg, Swedish actress
- 1931 - James Watson Cronin, American nuclear physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1932 - Robert Benton, American screenwriter and director
- 1934 - Lance Gibbs, West Indian cricketer
- 1935 - Jerry Lee Lewis, American musician
- 1936 - Silvio Berlusconi, former Prime Minister of Italy
- 1938 - Wim Kok, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- 1939 - Tommy Boyce, American songwriter
- 1939 - Molly Haskell, American film critic
- 1939 - Larry Linville, American actor (d. 2000)
- 1940 - Nicola Di Bari, Italian singer
- 1941 - Fred West, British serial killer
- 1942 - Madeline Kahn, American actress (d. 1999)
- 1942 - Felice Gimondi, Italian cyclist
- 1942 - Ian McShane, British actor
- 1942 - Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator from Florida
- 1942 - Jean-Luc Ponty, French jazz violinist
- 1942 - Steve Tesich, Serbian screenwriter (d. 1996)
- 1943 - Gary Boyd Roberts, American genealogist
- 1943 - Lech Wałęsa, President of Poland, Nobel Peace Prize winner
- 1944 - Mike Post, American composer
- 1947 - Martin Ferrero, American actor
- 1948 - Bryant Gumbel, American television personality
- 1948 - Mark Farner, American guitarist Grand Funk
- 1951 - Michelle Bachelet, President of Chile
- 1951 - Andrés Caicedo, Colombian writer (d. 1977)
- 1951 - Maureen Caird, Australian hurdler
- 1951 - Mike Enriquez, Philippine broadcaster
- 1952 - Max Sandlin, American politician
- 1953 - Warren Cromartie, Major League Baseball player
- 1956 - Sebastian Coe, British athlete
- 1957 - Andrew Dice Clay, American comedian and actor
- 1961 - Stephanie Miller, American comedian
- 1962 - Roger Bart, American actor
- 1963 - Dave Andreychuk, Canadian hockey player
- 1963 - Les Claypool, American bassist (Primus)
- 1966 - Jill Whelan, American actress
- 1967 - Brett Anderson, British musician/singer (Suede, The Tears)
- 1968 - Patrick Burns, American television presenter
- 1968 - Samir Soni, Indian film actor
- 1969 - Erika Eleniak, American actress and Playboy Playmate
- 1969 - Aleks Syntek, Mexican singer
- 1970 - Yoshihiro Tajiri, Japanese Professional wrestler
- 1970 - Natasha Gregson Wagner, American actress
- 1970 - Emily Lloyd, British actress
- 1971 - Sibel Tüzün, Turkish singer
- 1972 - Robert Webb, British actor, comedian, and writer
- 1974 - Brian Ash, American film producer
- 1976 - Andriy Shevchenko, Ukrainian football player
- 1976 - Darren Byfield, English football player
- 1976 - Oscar Sevilla, Spanish cyclist
- 1977 - Debelah Morgan, American R&B singer
- 1977 - Won Bin, South Korean actor
- 1978 - Kurt Nilsen, Norwegian singer
- 1978 - Mohini Bhardwaj, American gymnast
- 1978 - Gunner McGrath, American guitarist (Much the Same)
- 1981 - Siarhei Rutenka, Belarusian handball player
- 1982 - Ariana Jollee, American porn actress
- 1984 - Per Mertesacker, German football player
- 1986 - Benoit Pouliot, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1989 - Sebastian Elmaloglou, Australian soap actor
- 48 BC - Pompey the Great, consul of Rome (b. 106 BC)
- 1364 - Charles, Duke of Brittany
- 1560 - King Gustav I of Sweden (b. 1496)
- 1637 - Lorenzo Ruiz, Filipino saint
- 1642 - René Goupil, French Catholic missionary, one of Canadian Martyrs (b. 1608)
- 1703 - Charles de Saint-Évremond, French soldier (b. 1610)
- 1800 - Michael Denis, Austrian poet (b. 1729)
- 1804 - Michael Hillegas, first Treasurer of the United States (b. 1728)
- 1833 - King Ferdinand VII of Spain (b. 1784)
- 1887 - Bernhard von Langenbeck, German surgeon (b. 1810)
- 1889 - Louis Faidherbe, French general (b. 1818)
- 1900 - Samuel Fenton Cary, congressman, prohibitionist (b. 1814)
- 1902 - William Topaz McGonagall, British poet (b. 1825)
- 1902 - Émile Zola, French writer (b. 1840)
- 1908 - Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, Brazilian writer (b. 1839)
- 1925 - Léon Bourgeois, French statesman, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1851)
- 1927 - Willem Einthoven, Dutch inventor, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1860)
- 1930 - Ilya Yefimovich Repin, Russian painter (b. 1844)
- 1937 - Ray Ewry, American athlete (b. 1873)
- 1967 - Carson McCullers, American author (b. 1917) (
- 1970 - Edward Everett Horton, American actor (b. 1886)
- 1973 - W. H. Auden, English poet (b. 1907)
- 1975 - Casey Stengel, baseball player and manager (b. 1890)
- 1981 - Bill Shankly, Scottish football manager (b. 1913)
- 1982 - Monty Stratton, baseball player (b. 1912)
- 1987 - Henry Ford II, president of Ford Motor Company (b. 1917)
- 1988 - Charles Addams, American cartoonist (b. 1912)
- 1994 - Cheb Hasni, Algerian singer (b. 1968)
- 1997 - Roy Lichtenstein, American artist (b. 1923)
- 1998 - Tom Bradley, Mayor of Los Angeles, California (b. 1917)
- 1998 - Jared High, bully victim, committed suicide at age of 13.
- 2001 - Nguyễn Văn Thiệu, President of South Vietnam (b. 1923)
- 2004 - Richard Sainct, French motorcycle rally rider (b. 1970)
- 2005 - Austin Leslie, American chef, the "Godfather of Fried Chicken" (b. 1934)
- 2006 - Jan Werner Danielsen, Norwegian singer (b. 1976)
- 2006 - Khalique Ibrahim Khalique, Pakistani journalist and Urdu poet and critic (b. 1926)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
September 28 · September 30 · August 29 · October 29 · Historical anniversaries
an:29 de setiembre
ast:29 de setiembre
ca:29 de setembre
co:29 di settembre
es:29 de septiembre
eo:29-a de septembro
fur:29 di Setembar
ga:29 Meán Fómhair
gd:29 an t-Sultain
gl:29 de setembro
io:29 di septembro
ia:29 de septembre
nap:29 'e settembre
nov:29 de septembre
oc:29 de setembre
pt:29 de Setembro
scn:29 di sittèmmiru
vi:29 tháng 9
vec:29 de setenbre
wa:29 di setimbe