Learn more about September 26
September 26 is the 269th day of the year (270th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 96 days remaining in the year on this date.
- 46 BC - Julius Caesar dedicates a temple to his mythical ancestor Venus Genetrix in fulfilment of a vow he made at the battle of Pharsalus.
- 715 - Ragenfrid defeats Theudoald at the Battle of Compiègne.
- 1580 - Sir Francis Drake circumnavigates the globe.
- 1687 - The Parthenon in Athens is partially destroyed after an explosion caused by the bombing from Venetian forces led by Morosini who were besieging the Ottoman Turks stationed in Athens.
- 1777 - British troops occupy Philadelphia, Pennsylvania during the American Revolution.
- 1783 - Fayette County, Pennsylvania created
- 1789 - Thomas Jefferson is appointed the first United States Secretary of State, John Jay is appointed the first Chief Justice of the United States, Samuel Osgood is appointed the first United States Postmaster General, and Edmund Randolph is appointed the first United States Attorney General.
- 1810 - A new Act of Succession is adopted by the Riksdag of the Estates and Jean Baptiste Bernadotte becomes heir to the Swedish throne.
- 1907 - New Zealand and Newfoundland each becomes a dominion of the British Empire.
- 1914 - The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is established by the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- 1918 - World War I: Battle of Meuse.
- 1934 - Steamship RMS Queen Mary is launched.
- 1944 - World War II: Operation Market Garden fails.
- 1950 - United Nations troops recapture Seoul from the North Koreans.
- 1954 - Japanese rail ferry Toya Maru sinks during a typhoon in the Tsugaru Strait, Japan killing 1,172.
- 1957 - West Side Story, by Arthur Laurents, Leonard Bernstein, and Stephen Sondheim, directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins opens on Broadway.
- 1960 - In Chicago, the first televised debate takes place between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- 1960 - Fidel Castro announces Cuba's support for the U.S.S.R.
- 1961 - Bob Dylan makes his public debut.
- 1962 - Yemen Arab Republic is proclaimed.
- 1969 - The Chicago Seven trial begins.
- 1969 - The Beatles album Abbey Road is released in the UK.
- 1969 - The Brady Bunch debuts on ABC-TV and would run for five years.
- 1970 - The Laguna Fire starts in San Diego County, California, burning 175,425 acres (710 km²).
- 1973 - Concorde makes its first non-stop crossing of the Atlantic in record-breaking time.
- 1981 - Baseball: Nolan Ryan sets a Major League record by throwing his fifth no-hitter.
- 1983 - Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war.
- 1983 - Australia II, the first non-American winner, wins the Americas Cup.
- 1984 - United Kingdom agrees handover of Hong Kong.
- 1986 - Metallica Bassist Cliff Burton killed in tour bus accident.
- 1988 - Ben Johnson is stripped of his gold medal in the 100 m sprint at the Seoul Olympics for failing a drug test.
- 1997 - A Garuda Indonesia Airbus A-300 crashes near Medan, Indonesia, airport, killing 234.
- 1997 - An earthquake strikes the Italian regions of Umbria and the Marche, causing part of the Basilica of St. Francis at Assisi to collapse.
- 2000 - Anti-globalization protests in Prague (some 20,000 protesters) turned violent during the IMF and World Bank summits.
- 2000 - Express Samina, capsized after running aground near the isle of Paros. 82 people where killed.
- 2002 - The overcrowded Senegalese ferry MV Joola capsizes off the coast of Gambia killing more than 1,000.
- 2002 - Thirty people are killed in a shooting by terrorists at a temple in Gandhinagar, India.
- 2006 - Diet of Japan elects Shinzō Abe as new Prime Minister of Japan succeeding Junichiro Koizumi.
- 2006 - Charity concert by Green Day and U2 at New Orleans Superdome
- 1406 - Thomas de Ros, 9th Baron de Ros, English soldier and politician (d. 1430)
- 1711 - Richard Grenville-Temple, 2nd Earl Temple, English politician (d. 1779)
- 1750 - Cuthbert Collingwood, 1st Baron Collingwood, British admiral (d. 1810)
- 1758 - Cosme Argerich, Argentine physician, founder of the Medicine School of Buenos Aires.
- 1774 - Johnny Appleseed, American environmentalist (d. 1847)
- 1791 - Théodore Géricault, French painter (d. 1824)
- 1840 - Louis-Olivier Taillon, French Canadian politician (d. 1923)
- 1865 - Mary Russell, Duchess of Bedford, British pilot
- 1869 - Komitas, Armenian composer (d. 1935)
- 1870 - King Christian X of Denmark (d. 1947)
- 1871 - Winsor McCay, American cartoonist (d. 1934)
- 1873 - Aleksey Shchusev, Russian architect (d. 1949)
- 1873 - Wacław Berent, Polish novelist and translator (d. 1940)
- 1874 - Lewis Hine, American photographer and social activist (d. 1940)
- 1875 - Edmund Gwenn, Welsh actor (d. 1959)
- 1876 - Edith Abbott, American social worker, educator, and author (d. 1957)
- 1877 - Ugo Cerletti, Italian neurologist (d. 1963)
- 1877 - Alfred Cortot, Swiss pianist (d. 1962)
- 1886 - Archibald Vivian Hill, English physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1977)
- 1887 - Edwin Keppel Bennett, British writer (d. 1958)
- 1887 - Antonio Moreno, Spanish-born actor (d. 1967)
- 1887 - Sir Barnes Neville Wallis, British scientist, engineer and inventor (d. 1979)
- 1888 - J. Frank Dobie, American folklorist and newspaper columnist (d. 1964)
- 1888 - T. S. Eliot, American-born writer and editor, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965)
- 1889 - Martin Heidegger, German philosopher (d. 1976)
- 1891 - Charles Munch, French conductor and violinist (d. 1968)
- 1893 - Gladys Brockwell, American actress (d. 1929)
- 1895 - George Raft, American actor (d. 1980)
- 1897 - Arthur Rhys Davids, English pilot (d. 1917)
- 1897 - Pope Paul VI (d. 1978)
- 1898 - George Gershwin, American composer (d. 1937)
- 1905 - Emilio Navarro, Puerto Rican Baseball Player
- 1907 - Anthony Blunt, English art historian and Soviet spy (d. 1983)
- 1907 - Bep van Klaveren, Dutch boxer (d. 1992)
- 1909 - Bill France, Sr., American founder of NASCAR (d. 1992)
- 1914 - Jack LaLanne, American fitness advocate
- 1917 - Réal Caouette, French Canadian politician, leader of the Social Credit Party of Canada (d. 1976)
- 1923 - Dev Anand, Indian actor and film producer
- 1925 - Marty Robbins, American singer (d. 1982)
- 1926 - Julie London, American singer and actress (d. 2000)
- 1927 - Patrick O'Neal, American actor (d. 1994)
- 1930 - Fritz Wunderlich, German tenor (d. 1966)
- 1932 - Richard Herd, American actor
- 1932 - Dr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India
- 1932 - Vladimir Voinovich, Russian writer and dissident
- 1933 - Donna Douglas, American actress
- 1936 - Winnie Mandela, South African anti-apartheid activist
- 1937 - Jerry Weintraub, American film producer
- 1941 - Salvatore Accardo, Italian violinist and conductor
- 1942 - Kent McCord, American actor
- 1943 - Ian Chappell, Australian test cricket player and broadcaster
- 1944 - Anne Robinson, British television host
- 1945 - Bryan Ferry, British singer
- 1945 - Gal Costa, Brazilian singer
- 1945 - Louise Beaudoin, Quebec politician
- 1946 - Andrea Dworkin, American feminist (d. 2005)
- 1946 - Christine Todd Whitman, American politician
- 1947 - Lynn Anderson, American singer
- 1948 - Olivia Newton-John, British-born Australian singer and actress
- 1949 - Clodoaldo, Brazilian football player
- 1949 - Jane Smiley, American novelist
- 1951 - Stuart Tosh, Scottish musician
- 1952 - Predrag Miletić, Serbian actor from Nis
- 1953 - Aivars Lembergs, Latvian politician
- 1954 - Kevin Kennedy, baseball manager and television host
- 1956 - Linda Hamilton, American actress
- 1956 - Steve Butler, American racecar driver
- 1959 - Rich Gedman, American baseball player
- 1961 - Will Self, British author
- 1961 - Cindy Herron, American singer (En Vogue)
- 1962 - Melissa Sue Anderson, American actress
- 1962 - Peter Foster, Australian con-man
- 1963 - Lysette Anthony, British actress
- 1964 - Nicki French, British singer
- 1965 - Alexandra Lencastre, Portuguese actress
- 1966 - Jillian Barberie, Canadian actress and television hostess
- 1967 - Shannon Hoon, American singer (Blind Melon) (d. 1995)
- 1968 - James Caviezel, American actor
- 1969 - Paul Warhurst, English football player
- 1969 - Anthony Kavanagh, Québécois comedian, actor and singer
- 1972 - Ras Kass, American rapper
- 1972 - Shawn Stockman, American R&B singer (Boyz II Men)
- 1973 - Marty Casey, American singer (Lovehammers)
- 1973 - Chris Small, Scottish snooker player
- 1974 - Martin Müürsepp, Estonian basketball player
- 1975 - Emma Härdelin, Swedish singer (Garmarna and Triakel)
- 1976 - Michael Ballack, German footballer
- 1977 - Kaylynn, porn star
- 1978 - Robert Kipkoech Cheruiyot, Boston Marathon record holder
- 1979 - Fuifui Moimoi, New Zealand (Tongan) Rugby League Player
- 1979 - Jon Harley, English footballer
- 1980 - Patrick Friesacher, Austrian race car driver
- 1980 - Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Swedish professional ice hockey players
- 1981 - Aras Baskauskas, winner of Survivor: Exile Island
- 1981 - Christina Milian, American actress and singer
- 1981 - Serena Williams, American tennis player
- 1983 - Ricardo Quaresma, Portuguese footballer
- 1986 - Ashley Leggat, Canadian actress
- 1987 - Rosie Munter, Swedish singer and model (Play)
- 1988 - Kiira Korpi, Finnish figure skater
- 1990 - Chris Hardman, English rock singer (Lil Chris)
- 1417 - Francesco Zabarella, Italian jurist (b. 1360)
- 1468 - Juan de Torquemada, Spanish Catholic cardinal (b. 1388)
- 1501 - Džore Držić, Croatian writer (b. 1461)
- 1620 - Taichang Emperor of China (b. 1582)
- 1626 - Wakisaka Yasuharu, Japanese warrior (b. 1554)
- 1716 - Antoine Parent, French mathematician (b. 1666)
- 1763 - John Byron, English poet (b. 1692)
- 1764 - Benito Jerónimo Feijóo y Montenegro, Spanish scholar (b. 1767)
- 1802 - Baron Jurij Vega, Slovenian mathematician, physicist, and military officer (b. 1754)
- 1820 - Daniel Boone, American frontiersman (b. 1734)
- 1868 - August Ferdinand Möbius, German mathematician and astronomer (b. 1790)
- 1877 - Hermann Grassmann, German mathematician and physicist (b. 1809)
- 1902 - Levi Strauss, American clothing manufacturer (b. 1829)
- 1904 - John F. Stairs, Canadian businessman and statesman (b. 1848)
- 1937 - Bessie Smith, American singer (b. 1894)
- 1945 - Béla Bartók, Hungarian composer (b. 1881)
- 1947 - Hugh Lofting, British writer (b. 1886)
- 1951 - Hans Cloos, German geologist (b. 1885)
- 1952 - George Santayana, Spanish philosopher (b. 1863)
- 1965 - James Fitzmaurice, Irish aviation pioneer (b. 1898)
- 1968 - Daniel Johnson, Sr, politician, premier of Québec (b. 1915)
- 1972 - Charles Correll, American radio actor (b. 1890)
- 1973 - Ralph Earnhardt, Race car driver (b. 1923)
- 1973 - Anna Magnani, Italian actress (b. 1908)
- 1976 - Lavoslav Ružička, Croatian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1887)
- 1978 - Manne Siegbahn, Swedish physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1886)
- 1983 - Tino Rossi, French singer and actor (b. 1907)
- 1984 - John Facenda, American broadcaster and sports announcer (b. 1913)
- 1990 - Alberto Moravia, Italian author
- 1991 - Billy Vaughn, orchestra leader (b. 1919)
- 1998 - Betty Carter, American singer (b. 1930)
- 2000 - Richard Mulligan, American actor (b. 1932)
- 2000 - Baden Powell, Brazilian guitarist (b. 1937)
- 2003 - Robert Palmer, British singer (b. 1949)
- 2003 - Shawn Lane, American guitarist (b. 1963)
- 2004 - Marianna Komlos, professional wrestling valet (b. 1969)
- 2006 - Muharrem Qena, Kosovar actor, director and singer (b. 1930)
- 2006 - Byron Nelson, American golfer (b. 1912)
- 2006 - Iva Toguri D'Aquino, Alleged Tokyo Rose (b. 1916)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
September 25 - September 27 - August 26 - October 26 - more historical anniversaries
an:26 de setiembre
ast:26 de setiembre
ca:26 de setembre
co:26 di settembre
es:26 de septiembre
eo:26-a de septembro
fur:26 di Setembar
ga:26 Meán Fómhair
gd:26 an t-Sultain
gl:26 de setembro
io:26 di septembro
ia:26 de septembre
nap:26 'e settembre
nov:26 de septembre
oc:26 de setembre
pt:26 de Setembro
scn:26 di sittèmmiru
vi:26 tháng 9
vec:26 de setenbre
wa:26 di setimbe