Learn more about September 14
September 14 is the 257th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (258th in leap years). There are 108 days remaining.
- 786 - Harun al-Rashid becomes the Abbasid caliph upon the death of his brother al-Hadi.
- 1752 - The British Empire adopts the Gregorian calendar, skipping eleven days (the previous day was September 2).
- 1812 - French grenadiers enter Moscow.
- 1814 - Francis Scott Key writes The Star-Spangled Banner.
- 1829 - Ottoman Empire signs the Treaty of Adrianople with Russia, thus ending the Russo-Turkish War
- 1847 - Mexican-American War: Winfield Scott captures Mexico City.
- 1886 - Typewriter ribbon patented.
- 1901 - President of the United States William McKinley dies after an assassination attempt on September 6, and is succeeded by Theodore Roosevelt.
- 1917 - Republican government declared in Russia.
- 1923 - Miguel Primo de Rivera becomes dictator of Spain.
- 1944 - United States Marines land on the island of Peleliu.
- 1948 - Groundbreaking for the United Nations headquarters in New York City.
- 1958 - Two rockets designed by the German engineer Ernst Mohr, the first German post-war rockets, reach the upper atmosphere.
- 1959 - The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.
- 1960 - The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is founded.
- 1964 - The opening of the third period of the Second Vatican Council.
- 1965 - The opening of the fourth and final period of Second Vatican Council.
- 1975 - The first American saint, Elizabeth Ann Seton, is canonized by Pope Paul VI.
- 1984 - Joe Kittinger becomes the first person to fly a hot air balloon alone across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1987 - ITV Schools was broadcast on Channel 4 for the very first time.
- 1990 - Ken Griffey, Jr. and his father, Ken Griffey, Sr. become the first father-son duo to hit back-to-back home runs.
- 1994 - The Major League Baseball season is canceled due to strike.
- 1998 - Telecommunications companies MCI Communications and WorldCom complete their $37 billion merger to form MCI WorldCom.
- 1999 - Kiribati, Nauru and Tonga join the United Nations.
- 2001 - Historic National Prayer Service held at Washington National Cathedral for victims of the September 11 attacks. A similar service is held in Canada on Parliament Hill, the largest vigil ever held in the nation's capital.
- 2003 - In a referendum Sweden rejects adopting the euro.
- 2003 - Estonia approves joining the European Union in a referendum.
- 1388 - Claudius Clavus, Danish geographer
- 1486 - Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, German alchemist (d. 1535)
- 1543 - Claudio Aquaviva, Italian Jesuit (d. 1615)
- 1547 - Johan van Oldenbarnevelt, Dutch statesman (d. 1619)
- 1656 - Thomas Baker, British antiqurian (d. 1746)
- 1713 - Johann Kies, German mathematician (d. 1781)
- 1721 - Eliphalet Dyer, American statesman and judge (d. 1807)
- 1737 - Michael Haydn, Austrian composer (d. 1806)
- 1760 - Luigi Cherubini, Italian composer (d. 1842)
- 1769 - Alexander von Humboldt, German naturalist and explorer (d. 1859)
- 1771 - Nikolay Raevsky, Russian general and statesman (d. 1829)
- 1804 - John Gould, British ornithologist (d. 1881)
- 1804 - Louis Maigret, French Catholic prelate (d. 1882)
- 1837 - Nikolai Bugaev, Russian mathematician (d. 1903)
- 1849 - Ivan Pavlov, Russian scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1936)
- 1860 - Hamlin Garland, American writer (d. 1940)
- 1864 - Robert Cecil, 1st Viscount Cecil of Chelwood, British politician and diplomat, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1958)
- 1867 - Charles Dana Gibson, American artist (d. 1944)
- 1869 - Kid Nichols, baseball player (d. 1953)
- 1879 - Margaret Sanger, American birth control advocate (d. 1966)
- 1880 - Archie Hahn, American athlete (d. 1955)
- 1886 - Jan Masaryk, Czech foreign minister and diplomat (d. 1948)
- 1889 - Maria Capovilla, Previous oldest living person (d. 2006)
- 1891 - Ivan Matveyevich Vinogradov, Russian mathematician (d. 1983)
- 1898 - Hal B. Wallis, American film producer (d. 1986)
- 1909 - Peter Scott, British naturalist, artist, and explorer (d. 1989)
- 1910 - Jack Hawkins, British actor (d. 1973)
- 1913 - Jacobo Arbenz, President of Guatemala (d. 1971)
- 1914 - Lída Baarová, Czech actress (d. 2000)
- 1914 - Clayton Moore, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1914 - Kay Medford, American actress (d. 1980)
- 1920 - Mario Benedetti, Uruguayan writer
- 1920 - Lawrence Klein, American economist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1920 - Alberto Calderón, Argentine mathematician (d. 1998)
- 1921 - Dario Vittori, Argentinean actor (d. 2001)
- 1926 - Michel Butor, French novelist
- 1929 - Larry Collins, American writer (d. 2005)
- 1930 - Allan Bloom, American academic (d. 1992)
- 1932 - Harry Sinden, National Hockey League executive
- 1933 - Harve Presnell, American actor
- 1934 - Sarah Kofman, French philosopher
- 1934 - Kate Millett, American feminist writer
- 1936 - Walter Koenig, American actor
- 1936 - Ferid Murad, American physician and pharmacologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 1936 - Harry Danielsen, Norwegian politician
- 1938 - Nicol Williamson, Scottish-born actor
- 1940 - Larry Brown, American basketball coach
- 1941 - Alberto Naranjo, Venezuelan musician
- 1942 - Bernard MacLaverty, Northern Irish writer
- 1943 - Irwin Goodman (bor. Antti Hammarberg), Singer
- 1944 - Joey Heatherton, American actress and singer
- 1947 - Jon "Bowzer" Bauman,"Bowzer" singer in musical group "Sha Na Na"
- 1947 - Sam Neill, New Zealand actor
- 1949 - Tommy Seebach, Danish musician (d. 2003)
- 1949 - Eikichi Yazawa, Japanese singer
- 1949 - Steve Gaines, American guitarist (Lynyrd Skynyrd) (d. 1977)
- 1949 - Ed King, American guitarist (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
- 1950 - Paul Kossoff, British guitarist (Free) (d. 1976)
- 1950 - Masami Kuwashima, Japanese Formula One driver
- 1957 - Tim Wallach, Major League Baseball player
- 1956 - Ray Wilkins, English Football player
- 1959 - Morten Harket, Norwegian singer (a-ha)
- 1960 - Callum Keith Rennie, Canadian actor
- 1964 - Faith Ford, American actress
- 1968 - Michelle Stafford, American actress
- 1970 - Ben Garant, American actor
- 1970 - Craig Montoya, American musician (Everclear)
- 1970 - Francesco Casagrande, Italian cyclist
- 1971 - Kimberly Williams, American actress
- 1972 - David Bell, Baseball player
- 1973 - Nas, American rapper
- 1974 - Chad Bradford, Reliever for the New York Mets
- 1974 - Hicham El Guerrouj, Moroccan athlete
- 1978 - Carmen Kass, Estonian model
- 1980 - Phillip Tobias, American illustrator and musician
- 1981 - Miyavi, Japanese singer and actor
- 1981 - Ashley Roberts, American dancer(Pussycat Dolls)
- 1983 - Amy Winehouse, Singer
- 1983 - Frostee Rucker, American football player
- 1984 - Adam Lamberg, American actor
- 1985 - Paolo Gregoletto, American Bassist (Trivium)
- 1985 - Aya Ueto, Japanese actress idol and singer
- 1985 - Delmon Young, American baseball player
- 1986 - Ai Takahashi, Japanese singer (Morning Musume)
- 1986 - Alan Sheehan, Irish footballer
- 1989 - Jesse James, American actor
- 258 - Cyprian, Bishop of Carthage
- 585 - Emperor Bidatsu of Japan (b. 538)
- 775 - Constantine V, Byzantine Emperor (b. 718)
- 786 - Al-Hadi, Abbasid caliph
- 891 - Pope Stephen V
- 1146 - Zengi, ruler of Syria (b. 1087)
- 1164 - Emperor Sutoku of Japan (b. 1119)
- 1214 - Albert Avogadro, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem (b. 1149)
- 1321 - Dante Alighieri, Italian author (b. 1265)
- 1404 - Albert IV of Austria (b. 1377)
- 1435 - John, Duke of Bedford, regent of England (b. 1389)
- 1523 - Pope Adrian VI (b. 1459)
- 1538 - Henry III of Nassau-Breda, German nobleman (b. 1483)
- 1605 - Jan Tarnowski, Archbishop of Krakow (b. 1550)
- 1638 - John Harvard, American clergyman (b. 1607)
- 1646 - Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex, English Civil War general (b. 1591)
- 1712 - Giovanni Domenico Cassini, Italian-born astronomer (b. 1625)
- 1743 - Nicolas Lancret, French painter (b. 1690)
- 1749 - Richard Temple, 1st Viscount Cobham, English soldier and politician (b. 1675)
- 1759 - Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, French military commander (b. 1712)
- 1807 - George Townshend, 1st Marquess Townshend, British field marshal (b. 1724)
- 1836 - Aaron Burr, Vice President of the United States (b. 1756)
- 1851 - James Fenimore Cooper, American author (b. 1789)
- 1852 - Augustus Pugin, English architect (b. 1812)
- 1852 - Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, British general and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1879 - Bernhard von Cotta, German geologist (b. 1808)
- 1898 - William Seward Burroughs, American inventor (b. 1857)
- 1901 - William McKinley, 25th President of the United States (b. 1843)
- 1910 - Huo Yuan Jia, Chinese martial artist
- 1927 - Isadora Duncan, American dancer (b. 1877)
- 1936 - Irving Thalberg, American film producer (b. 1899)
- 1937 - Tomáš Masaryk, 1st President of Czechoslovakia (b. 1850)
- 1942 - Ezra Seymour Gosney, American eugenicist (b. 1855)
- 1959 - Wayne Morris, American actor (b. 1914)
- 1965 - J.W. Hearne English cricketer (b. 1891)
- 1966 - Gertrude Berg, American actress (b. 1899)
- 1974 - Warren Hull, American actor (b. 1903)
- 1981 - Furry Lewis, American blues guitarist (b. 1899)
- 1982 - Bachir Gemayel, President-elect of Lebanon (b. 1947)
- 1982 - John Gardner, American novelist (b. 1933)
- 1982 - Princess Grace of Monaco, American actress (b. 1929)
- 1982 - Christian Ferras, French violinist (b. 1933)
- 1984 - Janet Gaynor, American actress (b. 1906)
- 1989 - Dámaso Pérez Prado, Cuban musician (b. 1916)
- 1991 - Julie Bovasso, American actor and writer (b. 1930)
- 1992 - Paul Joseph James Martin, Canadian politician (b. 1903)
- 1996 - Juliet Prowse, British actress and dancer (b. 1937)
- 1999 - Charles Crichton, English film director (b. 1910)
- 2000 - Beah Richards, American actress (b. 1920)
- 2003 - Yetunde Price, half-sister of American tennis players Venus and Serena Williams (b. 1972)
- 2005 - William Berenberg, American physician (b. 1915)
- 2005 - Robert Wise, American filmmaker (b. 1914)
- 2005 - Vladimir Volkoff, French writer (b. 1932)
- 2006 - Mickey Hargitay, Hungarian-born actor and bodybuilder (b. 1926)
- 2006 - Esme Melville, Australian actress (b. 1918)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
September 13 - September 15 - August 14 - October 14 – more historical anniversaries
nov:14 de septembre
an:14 de setiembre
ast:14 de setiembre
ca:14 de setembre
co:14 di settembre
es:14 de septiembre
eo:14-a de septembro
fur:14 di Setembar
ga:14 Meán Fómhair
gd:14 an t-Sultain
gl:14 de setembro
io:14 di septembro
ia:14 de septembre
nap:14 'e settembre
oc:14 de setembre
pt:14 de Setembro
scn:14 di sittèmmiru
vi:14 tháng 9
vec:14 de setenbre
wa:14 di setimbe