Philip Hardwick

Learn more about Philip Hardwick

Jump to: navigation, search

Philip Hardwick (1792-1870) was an eminent English architect (son of architect Thomas Hardwick (junior) (1752-1829), and grandson of Thomas Hardwick Senior (1725-1798)). He is particularly associated with transport-related buildings (eg: railway stations, warehouses) in London and elsewhere.

Hardwick was born at 9 Rathbone Place in Westminster London and trained as an architect under his father before entering the Royal Academy Schools in 1808 and then furthering his studies by visiting France and Italy from 1815 to 1819. The Hardwick name is one of the most famous in architecture, spanning over 150 years of work - in 1760, Thomas Senior became a master mason at Syon House for the brothers Robert and John Adam.

After travelling Europe furthering his architectural studies, Philip Hardwick took over from his father as Surveyor to St Bartholomew's Hospital, London. This post later passed on to Philip's son - Philip Charles Hardwick (meaning that three successive Hardwick generations held the post of Surveyor to St Bartholomew's). Hardwick gained a reputation as a surveyor and was employed by the Westminster Bridge estates, the Portman London estate, Greenwich Hospital, and to Lord Salisbury's estate (1829-1835). In 1839 he was one of the judges for the then new Royal Exchange building in the City of London, and was then appointed to select the design for the Oxford Museum in 1854.

Image:Euston Station - 1851 - from Project Gutenberg - eText 13271.jpg
"Euston Arch:" the original entrance to Euston Station, as enlarged, ca 1851

Like Inigo Jones some 200 years earlier, Hardwick was inspired by Italian architecture, following a trip to Italy in 1818-19. These influences manifested themselves particularly in his famous 'Propylaeum' or Doric Euston Arch at the old Euston station (1837), designed for the London and Birmingham Railway at the cost of £35,000; Euston was London's very first train station. The Arch was demolished in the early 1960s to make way for construction of the current Euston Station building. The gates of the arch are stored at the National Railway Museum in York. At the Birmingham terminus, Hardwick also designed Birmingham Curzon Street Station (1838).


His other credits include:

He was also surveyor to the Portman London estate, to Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (from 1842) and assisted Sir Francis Smith in designing Wellington Barracks next to Buckingham Palace in 1833. During his lifetime he was fortunate to become a founder member of the Institute of British Architects (1834) - later (1837) the RIBA and was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. In 1854 he received the Royal Gold Medal for architecture.

Philip married a daughter of the architect John Shaw Senior (1776-1832) and his brother-in-law was the architect John Shaw Jr (1803-1870) The two families lived close by within the boroughs of Westminster and Holborn, were among the finest architectural families London has ever produced (rivalled by the Charles Barry dynasty, among others), and lay buried at Kensal Green Cemetery. Hardwick's son Philip Charles Hardwick (1822-1892) was the last architect in the family line.

[edit] Pupil

Gothic architect John Loughborough Pearson studied under Philip Hardwick senior before setting up his own practice in 1843 and designing many notable cathedral buildings, including that at Truro. Thomas Henry Wyatt (1807-1880) was also a pupil.

[edit] External links

Philip Hardwick

Views
Personal tools
what is world wizzy?
  • World Wizzy is a static snapshot taken of Wikipedia in early 2007. It cannot be edited and is online for historic & educational purposes only.