Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation
Learn more about Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation
On 25 June 1992, the Heads of State and Government of eleven countries signed in Istanbul the Summit Declaration and the Bosphorus Statement giving birth to the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC). It came into existence as a unique and promising model of multilateral political and economic initiative aimed at fostering interaction and harmony among the Member States, as well as to ensure peace, stability and prosperity encouraging friendly and good-neighbourly relations in the Black Sea region.
With the entry into force of its Charter on 1 May 1999, BSEC acquired international legal identity and was transformed into a full-fledged regional economic organization: Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation. With the accession of Serbia and Montenegro in April 2004, the Organization’s Member States increased to twelve.
The BSEC Headquarters - the Permanent International Secretariat of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC PERMIS) - was established in March 1994 in Istanbul.
Founding members are:
- Image:Flag of Albania.svg Albania
- Image:Flag of Armenia.svg Armenia
- Image:Flag of Azerbaijan.svg Azerbaijan
- Image:Flag of Bulgaria (bordered).svg Bulgaria
- Image:Flag of Georgia (bordered).svg Georgia
- Image:Flag of Greece.svg Greece
- Image:Flag of Moldova.svg Moldova
- Image:Flag of Romania.svg Romania
- Image:Flag of Russia (bordered).svg Russia
- Image:Flag of Turkey.svg Turkey
- Image:Flag of Ukraine.svg Ukraine
Image:Flag of Cyprus.svg Cyprus and Image:Flag of Montenegro.svg Montenegro applied to join, but were denied for new due to rivalry between Greece and Turkey, who vetoed Montenegro and Cyprus respectively.
As seen above, membership has not been restricted to countries which have access to the Black Sea.
Observer nations are the following:
- Image:Flag of Belarus.svg Belarus
- Image:Flag of Croatia.svg Croatia
- Image:Flag of the Czech Republic (bordered).svg Czech Republic
- Image:Flag of France.svg France
- Image:Flag of Germany.svg Germany
- Image:Flag of Israel (bordered).svg Israel
- Image:Flag of Italy.svg Italy
- Image:Flag of Poland (bordered).svg Poland
- Image:Flag of Slovakia.svg Slovakia
- Image:Flag of Tunisia.svg Tunisia
- Image:Flag of the United States.svg United States
Observer organizations are the:
 See also
- Stability Pact for Southeastern Europe (SP for SEE)
- Southeast European Cooperation Process (SEECP)
- Central European Free Trade Agreement (CEFTA)
- Central European Initiative (CEI)
- Southeast European Cooperative Initiative (SECI)
- Black Sea Forum (BSF)
- Black Sea Trade and Development Bank (BSTDB)