Learn more about October 3
October 3 is the 276th day of the year (277th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 89 days remaining in the year.
3rd October Organization is also the name of a Marxist terrorist group.
- 2333 BC - Legendary establishment of the Kingdom of Korea (in the name of Joseon).
- 42 BC - First Battle of Philippi: Triumvirs Mark Antony and Octavian fight an indecisive battle with Caesar's assassins Brutus and Cassius.
- 1283 - Dafydd ap Gruffydd, prince of Gwynedd in Wales, becomes the first person executed by drawing and quartering.
- 1574 - The Siege of Leiden is lifted by the Watergeuzen.
- 1712 - The Duke of Montrose issues a warrant for the arrest of Rob Roy MacGregor
- 1739 - The Treaty of Nissa is signed by the Ottoman Empire and Russia at the end of the Russian-Turkish War, 1736-1739.
- 1778 - British Captain James Cook anchors in Alaska.
- 1789 - George Washington proclaims the first Thanksgiving Day.
- 1795 - General Napoleon Bonaparte first rises to national prominence being named to defend the French National Convention against armed counter-revolutionary rioters threatening the three year old revolutionary government.
- 1863 - Thanksgiving Day declared as the fourth Thursday in November by President Abraham Lincoln.
- 1873 - Captain Jack and companions are hanged for their part in the Modoc War
- 1918 - King Boris III of Bulgaria takes the throne
- 1929 - The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes is renamed to Kingdom of Yugoslavia, "Land of the South Slavs".
- 1932 - Iraq gains independence from Britain.
- 1935 - Italy invades Ethiopia under General de Bono (replaced November 11 by Pietro Badoglio).
- 1942 - First successful launch of A4-rocket from Test Stand VII at Peenemünde, Germany: the first man-made object to reach space.
- 1951 - New York Giants beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 5-4, winning the National League pennant, with Bobby Thomson's "The Shot Heard 'Round the World".
- 1952 - United Kingdom successfully tests a nuclear weapon.
- 1953 - Petrobras is founded by the Brazilian government.
- 1955 - Captain Kangaroo debuts on CBS.
- 1955 - The Mickey Mouse Club debuts on ABC.
- 1960 - Niger gains independence from France.
- 1962 - At Cape Canaveral the Mercury 8 blasts off with Astronaut Wally Schirra aboard for a nine-hour flight.
- 1981 - The Hunger Strike by Irish Republican Army prisoners at the Maze jail in Belfast ends after seven months and 10 deaths.
- 1981 - The Communist Party of Namibia is founded at a conference in Angola.
- 1985 - Space Shuttle Atlantis flys its maiden voyage. (STS-51-J)
- 1990 - Re-unification of Germany. The German Democratic Republic ceases to exist, and East German citizens become part of the European Community, which later became the European Union. Now celebrated as German Unity Day.
- 1993 - Battle of Mogadishu: In an attempt to capture officials of warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid's organization in Mogadishu, Somalia, 18 US Army Rangers and about 1000 Somalis are killed in heavy fighting.
- 1995 - O.J. Simpson is found not guilty of murder.
- 1690 - Robert Barclay, Scottish writer
- 1716 - Giovanni Battista Beccaria, Italian physicist (d. 1781)
- 1720 - Johann Peter Uz, German poet (d. 1796)
- 1790 - John Ross (Cherokee chief), Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation (d. 1866)
- 1797 - Leopold II, Grand Duke of Tuscany (d. 1870)
- 1804 - Townsend Harris, first U.S. Consul to Japan (d. 1878)
- 1804 - Allan Kardec, French founder of Spiritism (d. 1869)
- 1806 - Oliver Cowdery, American religious leader (d. 1850)
- 1828 - Woldemar Bargiel, German composer (d. 1897)
- 1858 - Eleonora Duse, Italian actress (d. 1924)
- 1862 - Johnny Briggs, English cricketer (d. 1902)
- 1863 - Pyotr Kuzmich Kozlov, Russian explorer (d. 1935)
- 1873 - Emily Post, American etiquette expert (d. 1960)
- 1880 - Warner Oland, Swedish-born actor (d. 1938)
- 1882 - A. Y. Jackson, Canadian painter (d. 1974)
- 1885 - Langley Collyer, of the Collyer brothers, hoarder (d. 1947)
- 1885 - Sophie Treadwell, American playwright and journalist (d. 1970)
- 1889 - Carl von Ossietzky, German pacifist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1938)
- 1894 - Elmer Robinson, American politician (d. 1982)
- 1894 - Walter Warlimont, German General WWII (d. 1976)
- 1895 - Giovanni Comisso, Italian writer (d. 1969)
- 1896 - Gerardo Diego, Spanish poet (d. 1987)
- 1897 - Louis Aragon, French writer (d. 1982)
- 1898 - Leo McCarey, American film director (d. 1969)
- 1899 - Gertrude Berg, American actress (d. 1966)
- 1900 - Thomas Wolfe, American author (d. 1938)
- 1901 - Jean Grémillon, French film director (d. 1959)
- 1904 - Charles J. Pedersen, American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1989)
- 1915 - Ray Stark, American film producer (d. 2004)
- 1916 - Shelby Storck, American television producer (d. 1969)
- 1916 - James Herriot, English veterinarian and author (d. 1995)
- 1919 - James M. Buchanan, American economist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1922 - Jean Lefebvre, French actor (d. 2004)
- 1923 - Edward Oliver LeBlanc, Dominican politician (d. 2004)
- 1924 - Arkady Vorobyov, Russian weightlifter
- 1925 - Gore Vidal, American author
- 1928 - Erik Bruhn, Danish dancer and choreographer (d. 1986)
- 1931 - Glenn Hall, National Hockey League goaltender
- 1933 - Neale Fraser, Australian tennis player
- 1935 - Charles Duke, American astronaut
- 1936 - Steve Reich, American composer
- 1938 - Eddie Cochran, American singer (d. 1960)
- 1938 - Tereza Kesovija, Croatian singer
- 1940 - Jean Ratelle, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1940 - Alan O'Day, American singer and songwriter
- 1941 - Chubby Checker, American musician
- 1944 - Pierre Deligne, Belgian mathematician
- 1945 - Kay Baxter, American bodybuilder (d. 1988)
- 1946 - Biff Henderson, American television personality
- 1947 - John Perry Barlow, American musician
- 1948 - Michael Medved, American film critic
- 1949 - Lindsey Buckingham, American musician
- 1950 - Pamela Hensley, American actress
- 1951 - Keb' Mo', American singer
- 1951 - Dave Winfield, American baseball player
- 1951 - Bernard Cooper, American writer
- 1954 - Dennis Eckersley, American baseball player
- 1954 - Al Sharpton, American minister and activist
- 1954 - Stevie Ray Vaughan, American musician (d. 1990)
- 1957 - Tim Westwood, Pimp My Ride UK presenter and DJ
- 1959 - Fred Couples, American golfer
- 1959 - Jack Wagner, American actor
- 1959 - Greg Proops, American actor and comedian
- 1962 - Tommy Lee, American musician (Mötley Crüe)
- 1963 - Marion Peck, American artist and painter
- 1964 - Clive Owen, British actor
- 1965 - Jan-Ove Waldner, Swedish table tennis player
- 1966 - Darrin Fletcher, Major League Baseball player
- 1967 - Rob Liefeld, American comic book writer and artist
- 1968 - Paul Crichton, English footballer
- 1969 - Gwen Stefani, American singer (No Doubt)
- 1969 - Tetsu, Japanese bassist (L'Arc~en~Ciel)
- 1971 - Kevin Richardson, American singer (Backstreet Boys)
- 1971 - Wil Cordero, Baseball player
- 1972 - Garrett Dutton, American Musician (G. Love and Special Sauce)
- 1972 - Tariq "Black Thought" Trotter, American Rapper (The Roots)
- 1973 - Neve Campbell, Canadian actress
- 1973 - Keiko Agena, Japanese-American actress
- 1973 - Lena Headey, Bermudian actress
- 1974 - Marianne Timmer, Dutch speed skater
- 1975 - India Arie, American singer
- 1975 - Talib Kweli, American Rapper
- 1976 - Seann William Scott, American actor
- 1977 - Jake Shears, singer (Scissor Sisters)
- 1978 - Claudio Pizarro, Peruvian footballer
- 1978 - Gerald Asamoah, German footballer
- 1979 - Shannyn Sossamon, American actress and musician (Law & Order: SVU)
- 1979 - Johnny Nitro, American professional wrestler
- 1979 - Danny Basham, American professional wrestler
- 1981 - Zlatan Ibrahimović, Swedish footballer
- 1981 - Andreas Isaksson, Swedish footballer
- 1981 - Matt Murton, American baseball player
- 1982 - Erik von Detten, American actor
- 1983 - Fred, Brazilian footballer
- 1984 - Ashlee Simpson, American singer
- 1984 - Yoon Eun Hye, South Korean actress, singer, and model
- 1987 - Zuleyka Rivera, Puerto Rican Miss Universe
- 1988 - Tadhg Kelly, American actor
- 42 BC - Gaius Cassius Longinus
- 1226 - Saint Francis of Assisi (b. 1181)
- 1283 - David ap Gruffydd, Welsh prince of Gwynedd (executed)
- 1369 - Margarete Maultasch, Countess of Tyrol (b. 1318)
- 1568 - Elizabeth of Valois, wife of Philip II of Spain (b. 1545)
- 1596 - Florent Chrestien, French writer (b. 1541)
- 1611 - Charles of Lorraine, Duke of Mayenne, French military leader (b. 1554)
- 1629 - Giorgi Saakadze, Georgian military leader (b. 1570)
- 1649 - Giovanni Diodati, Swiss Protestant clergyman (b. 1576)
- 1653 - Marcus Zuerius van Boxhorn, Dutch scholar (b. 1612)
- 1656 - Myles Standish, English-born soldier
- 1701 - Joseph Williamson, English politician (b. 1633)
- 1801 - Philippe Henri, marquis de Ségur, Marshal of France (b. 1724)
- 1833 - François, marquis de Chasseloup-Laubat, French general (b. 1754)
- 1867 - Elias Howe, American sewing machine pioneer (b. 1819)
- 1873 - Captain Jack, Modoc tribal leader
- 1881 - Orson Pratt, American religious leader (b. 1811)
- 1890 - Joseph Hergenröther, German historian (b. 1824)
- 1891 - Edouard Lucas, French mathematician (b. 1842)
- 1929 - Jeanne Eagels, American actress (b. 1929)
- 1929 - Gustav Stresemann, Chancellor of Germany, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1878)
- 1931 - Carl Nielsen, Danish composer (b. 1865)
- 1936 - John Heisman, American football coach (b. 1869)
- 1953 - Arnold Bax, English composer (b. 1883)
- 1965 - Zachary Scott, American actor (b. 1914)
- 1967 - Woody Guthrie, American musician (b. 1912)
- 1967 - Malcolm Sargent, English conductor (b. 1895)
- 1969 - Skip James, American blues musician (b. 1902)
- 1986 - Vince DiMaggio, American Baseball Player (b. 1912)
- 1987 - Jean Anouilh, French writer (b. 1910)
- 1987 - Kalervo Palsa, Finnish artist (b. 1947)
- 1988 - Franz Josef Strauß, Bavarian politician (b. 1915)
- 1990 - Stefano Casiraghi, husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco (b. 1960)
- 1993 - Randy Shughart, Medal of Honor recipient (b. 1958)
- 1994 - Dub Taylor, American actor (b. 1907)
- 1998 - Roddy McDowall, English actor (b. 1928)
- 1999 - Akio Morita, Japanese businessman (b. 1921)
- 2000 - Benjamin Orr, American bassist and singer (The Cars) (b. 1947)
- 2002 - Bruce Paltrow, American television and film producer (b. 1943)
- 2002 - Robert Krausz, Stock market advisor and investor (b. 1936)
- 2003 - Florence Stanley, American actress (b. 1924)
- 2003 - William Steig, American cartoonist and children's author (b. 1907)
- 2004 - John Cerutti, baseball player and announcer (b. 1960)
- 2004 - Janet Leigh, American actress (b. 1927)
- 2005 - Ronnie Barker, English comic actor (b. 1929)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
October 2 - October 4 - September 3 - November 3 – more historical anniversaries
es:3 de octubre
eo:3-a de oktobro
fur:3 di Otubar
ga:3 Deireadh Fómhair
gl:3 de outubro
io:3 di oktobro
ia:3 de octobre
nap:3 'e ottovre
nov:3 de oktobre
pt:3 de Outubro
scn:3 di uttùviru
vi:3 tháng 10
vec:3 de otobre
wa:3 d' octôbe