Learn more about October
October begins in western tropical astrology with the sun in the sign of Libra and ends in the sign of Scorpio. Astronomically speaking, the sun actually begins in the constellation of Virgo and ends in the constellation of Libra.
 October Events and Holidays
- Columbus Day (United States) - Second Monday of October
- Thanksgiving (Canada) - Second Monday of October
- Health and Sports Day (Japan) - Second Monday of October
- Proclamation of Portuguese Republic (Portugal) - October 5
- United Nations Day - October 24
- Independence Day in St. Vincent & the Grenadines - October 27
- Independence Day in Turkmenistan - October 27
- Halloween - October 31
More events are listed on the individual dates of the calendar on this page.
 Month-long Observances
- National Arts & Humanities Month (in United States)
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Sexuality Education Month (in United States) 
- Filipino American History Month (in United States)
 Cultural Celebrations
- National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15 in United States)
- Polish American Heritage Month []
 Health Observances
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (in United States) 
- Campaign for Healthier Babies Month
- Celiac Sprue Awareness Month 
- National Dental Hygiene Month (in United States) 
- National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (in United States) 
- Health Literacy Month 
- Healthy Lung Month 
- National Infertility Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Lupus Erythematosus Awareness Month (in United States) 
- National Orthodontic Health Month (in United States)
- National Physical Therapy Month (in United States) 
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month (in United States) 
- National Spinal Health Month (in United States)
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month (in United States) 
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month (in United States) 
- Talk About Prescriptions Month (in United States)
- World Blindness Awareness Month 
 Other names
- In Albanian, October is called Tetor
- In Slovak, October is called október.
- In Czech, October is called říjen. The origin of this name is in the deer's belling in this month.
- A traditional Dutch name for October is Wijnmaand ("wine month") because the first wines of the year have ripened.
- In Finnish, October is called lokakuu, meaning "month of dirt".
- In German, October is called Oktober.
- In Scottish Gaelic, October is called an Damhar, meaning "rutting time" (of stags).
- In Hungarian, October is called Október.
- In Irish, October is called Deireadh Fómhair, meaning "end of harvest-time".
- In Italian, October is called ottobre.
- In Turkish, October is called Ekim, meaning "sowing" because of the sowing of wheat.
- In the old Japanese calendar, the month is called Kan'na dzuki (神無月), literally meaning the absence of gods, but the original meaning is uncertain.
- In Croatian, October is called Listopad, meaning leaves list fall pad.
- In French, October is called "octobre".
- In Spanish, October is called "octubre".
- In Polish, October is called "Październik".
- In Romanian, October is called "Octombrie"
- In Russian, October is called "Октябрь"
- In Lithuanian, October is called Spalis.
- In Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch and German, October is called Oktober.
- In Portuguese, October is called "Outubro".
- In Welsh, October is called "Hydref", meaning "autumn".
- In Icelandic, October is called október.
- October begins on the same day of the week as January in common years.
- October in the Northern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent to April in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa.
- October's birthstone is the opal or tourmaline.
- October's flower is the calendula or cosmos.
- Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October.
- The month October has become famous as "Red October", due to the Russian October revolution of 1917.
- In the nineteenth century, the month of October was dedication to devotion to the rosary in Roman Catholic countries.
- In the United States, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Where Daylight Saving Time ends in October, it is the longest month of the year, one hour longer than the other 31-day months.
 External linksnov:Oktobre
af:Oktober als:Oktober ang:Winterfylleþ ar:أكتوبر an:Otubre ast:Ochobre az:Oktyabr be:Кастрычнік bs:Oktobar br:Here bg:Октомври ca:Octubre cv:Юпа ceb:Oktubre cs:Říjen co:Uttrovi cy:Hydref da:Oktober de:Oktober et:Oktoober el:Οκτώβριος es:Octubre eo:Oktobro eu:Urri fa:اکتبر fo:Oktober fr:Octobre fy:Oktober fur:Otubar ga:Deireadh Fómhair gd:An Damhair gl:Outubro ko:10월 hr:Listopad io:Oktobro ilo:Octobre id:Oktober ia:Octobre ie:Octobre is:Október it:Ottobre he:אוקטובר jv:Oktober kn:ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ ka:ოქტომბერი csb:Rujan kw:Mys Hedra sw:Oktoba ku:Kewçêr la:October lv:Oktobris lb:Oktober lt:Spalis li:Oktober hu:Október mg:Oktobra mi:Whiringa-ā-nuku mr:ऑक्टोबर ms:Oktober nl:Oktober nds-nl:Oktober ja:10月 nap:Ottovre no:Oktober nn:Oktober nrm:Octobre oc:Octobre pl:Październik pt:Outubro ro:Octombrie qu:Kantarya killa ru:Октябрь war:Oktubre se:Golggotmánnu sco:October sq:Tetori scn:Uttùviru simple:October sk:Október sl:Oktober sr:Октобар sh:Oktobar su:Oktober fi:Lokakuu sv:Oktober tl:Oktubre ta:அக்டோபர் tt:Öktäber te:అక్టోబర్ th:ตุลาคม vi:Tháng mười tg:Октябр tpi:Oktoba tr:Ekim uk:Жовтень ur:اکتوبر vo:Tobul wa:Octôbe yi:אקטאבער zh-yue:10月 bat-smg:Spalis zh:10月