Learn more about November 5
November 5 is the 309th day of the year (310th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 56 days remaining.
- 1530 - St. Felix's Flood destroys the city of Reimerswaal in the Netherlands
- 1556 - Second Battle of Panipat: Fifty miles north of Delhi, a Mogul Army defeats Hindu forces of General Hemu to ensure Akbar the throne of India.
- 1605 - Gunpowder Plot: A plot led by Robert Catesby to blow up the English Houses of Parliament is thwarted when Sir Thomas Knyvet, a justice of the peace, finds Guy Fawkes in a cellar below the Parliament building.
- 1688 - Glorious Revolution begins: William of Orange lands at Brixham.
- 1757 - Seven Years' War: Frederick the Great defeated the allied armies of France and the Holy Roman Empire in the Battle of Rossbach.
- 1780 - French-American force under Colonel LaBalme is defeated by Miami Chief Little Turtle.
- 1838 - The United States of Central America began to disintegrate when Nicaragua separated from the federation.
- 1854 - The Battle of Inkerman was fought during the Crimean War.
- 1862 - American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln removes George McClellan as commander of the Union Army for the second and final time.
- 1862 - Indian Wars: In Minnesota, more than 300 Santee Sioux are found guilty of rape and murder of white settlers and are sentenced to hang.
- 1872 - Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100.
- 1895 - George B. Selden is granted the first U.S. patent for an automobile.
- 1911 - After declaring war on the Ottoman Empire on September 29, 1911, Italy annexes Tripoli and Cyrenaica.
- 1912 - U.S. presidential election, 1912: Democratic challenger Woodrow Wilson wins a victory over the Progressive former President Theodore Roosevelt and Republican incumbent William Howard Taft.
- 1913 - The insane king Otto of Bavaria is deposed by his cousin, Prince Regent Ludwig, who assumed the title Ludwig III.
- 1913 - United Kingdom annexes Cyprus, and together with France declares war on the Ottoman Empire.
- 1916 - The Kingdom of Poland proclaimed by the November 5th Act of the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
- 1916 - The Everett Massacre takes place as political differences lead to a shoot-out between IWW organizers and local police
- 1917 - St. Tikhon of Moscow was elected the Patriarch of Moscow and of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- 1930 - Sinclair Lewis is awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- 1935 - Parker Brothers releases the board game Monopoly.
- 1937 - World War II: Adolf Hitler holds a secret meeting and states his plans for acquiring "living space" for the German people.
- 1940 - U.S. presidential election, 1940: Democrat incumbent Franklin D. Roosevelt defeats Republican challenger Wendell Willkie and becomes the United States' only third-term president.
- 1945 - Colombia joins the United Nations.
- 1951 - I Love Lucy airs for the first time.
- 1962 - A mining accident kills 21 miners at the government-owned Kings Bay Coal Company on Svalbard, leading the Norwegian government to close the mine.
- 1965 - State of Emergency declared in Rhodesia after collapse of negotiations with Great Britain over Rhodesian independence (UDI would follow six days later)
- 1968 - U.S. presidential election, 1968: Republican challenger Richard M. Nixon defeats Vice President Hubert Humphrey and American Independent Party candidate George C. Wallace.
- 1970 - Vietnam War: The United States Military Assistance Command in Vietnam reports the lowest weekly American soldier death toll in five years (24).
- 1979 - Ayatollah Khomeini declares the USA to be "the great Satan".
- 1985 - Reliquary of St Maurus from the 13th century discovered in a cache in the chapel of Bečov Castle.
- 1986 - USS Rentz (FFG-46), USS Reeves (DLG-24) and USS Oldendorf (DD-972) visit Qingdao (Tsing Tao) China—the first US Naval visit to China since 1949.
- 1987 - Apartheid: In South Africa, Govan Mbeki is released from custody after serving 24 years in the Robben Island prison. He had been sentenced to life for treason against the white minority South Africa government.
- 1990 - Rabbi Meir Kahane, founder of the far-right Kach movement, is shot dead after a speech at a New York City hotel.
- 1994 - A letter by former U.S. President Ronald Reagan is released that announces he has Alzheimer's disease.
- 1994 - Forty-five year old George Foreman becomes boxing's oldest heavyweight champion when he knocks out Michael Moorer.
- 1995 - André Dallaire attempts to assassinate Jean Chretien, he is thwarted when the Prime Minister's wife locks the door.
- 1996 - President of Pakistan Farooq Ahmed Khan Leghari dismissed the government of Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and dissolved National Assembly of Pakistan.
- 2000 - Emperor Haile Selassie I given an Imperial funeral by the Ethiopian Orthodox church
- 2006 - Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging for crimes against humanity.
- 1271 - Mahmud Ghazan, Mongol ruler (d. 1304)
- 1549 - Philippe de Mornay, French writer (d. 1623)
- 1592 - Charles Chauncy, English-born president of Harvard College (d. 1672)
- 1613 - Isaac de Benserade, French poet (d. 1691)
- 1615 - Ibrahim I, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1648)
- 1667 - Christoph Ludwig Agricola, German painter (d. 1719)
- 1701 - Pietro Longhi, Venetian painter (d. 1785)
- 1715 - John Brown, English writer (d. 1766)
- 1722 - William Byron, 5th Baron Byron, English duelist (d. 1798)
- 1742 - Richard Cosway, English artist (d. 1821)
- 1846 - Duncan Gordon Boyes, English recipient of the Victoria Cross (d. 1869)
- 1851 - Charles Dupuy, French prime minister (d. 1923)
- 1854 - Paul Sabatier, French chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1941)
- 1854 - Alphonse Desjardins, Québécois founder of the Caisses populaires Desjardins (d. 1920)
- 1855 - Léon Teisserenc de Bort, French meteorologist (d. 1913)
- 1855 - Eugene V. Debs, American socialist leader (d. 1926)
- 1857 - Ida Tarbell, American journalist (d. 1944)
- 1885 - Will Durant, American historian (d. 1981)
- 1890 - Jan Zrzavý, Czech painter (d. 1977)
- 1892 - J. B. S. Haldane, Scottish geneticist (d. 1964)
- 1895 - Walter Gieseking, French pianist (d. 1956)
- 1895 - Charles MacArthur, American author (d. 1956)
- 1900 - Martin Dies, Jr., American politician (d. 1972)
- 1900 - Natalie Schafer, American actress (d. 1991)
- 1904 - Cooney Weiland, Canadian hockey player (d. 1985)
- 1905 - Joel McCrea, American actor (d. 1990)
- 1906 - Fred Lawrence Whipple, American astronomer (d. 2004)
- 1911 - Roy Rogers, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1913 - Vivien Leigh, English actress (d. 1967)
- 1914 - Alton Tobey, American artist (d. 2005)
- 1917 - Jacqueline Auriol, French aviatrix (d. 2000)
- 1919 - Hasan Askari, Pakistani philosopher (d. 1978)
- 1919 - Myron Floren, American accordianist The Lawrence Welk Show (d. 2005)
- 1920 - Douglass North, American economist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1921 - Georges Cziffra, Hungarian pianist (d. 1994)
- 1921 - Fawzia of Egypt, Queen of Iran
- 1931 - Ike Turner, American musician
- 1934 - Victor Argo, American actor (d. 2004)
- 1935 - Lester Piggott, British jockey
- 1938 - César Luis Menotti, Argentine footballer
- 1938 - Joe Dassin, French-speaking American singer (d. 1980)
- 1940 - Elke Sommer, German actress
- 1941 - Art Garfunkel, American musician
- 1943 - Sam Shepard, American playwright and actor
- 1945 - Peter Pace, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- 1946 - Herman Brood, Dutch musician and artist
- 1946 - Gram Parsons, American musician (d. 1973)
- 1947 - Peter Noone, English musician (Herman's Hermits)
- 1948 - Hrdayananda Gosvami, ISKCON guru
- 1948 - Mel Ab-Owain, Welsh poltician
- 1948 - Bernard-Henri Lévy, French public intellectual
- 1948 - Peter Hammill, British musician
- 1948 - William Daniel Phillips, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1949 - Armin Shimerman, American actor
- 1950 - Thorbjørn Jagland, former Norwegian prime minister
- 1952 - Bill Walton, American basketball player and commentator
- 1952 - Oleg Blokhin, Ukrainian footballer
- 1953 - Joyce Maynard, American writer
- 1955 - Bernard Chazelle, French computer scientist
- 1955 - Nestor Serrano, American actor
- 1958 - Robert Patrick, American actor
- 1959 - Bryan Adams, Canadian musician
- 1960 - Tilda Swinton, English actress
- 1961 - Gina Mastrogiacomo, American actress (d. 2001)
- 1962 - Abédi Pelé, Ghanian footballer
- 1963 - Andrea McArdle, American actress
- 1963 - Tatum O'Neal, American actress
- 1965 - Famke Janssen, Dutch model and actress
- 1968 - Sam Rockwell, American film actor
- 1971 - Dana Jacobson, ESPN's Cold Pizza hostess
- 1971 - Corin Nemec, American actor
- 1971 - Jonny Greenwood, guitarist (Radiohead)
- 1971 - Sergei Berezin, National Hockey League player
- 1973 - Johnny Damon, baseball player
- 1973 - Alexei Yashin, Russian ice hockey player
- 1974 - Ryan Adams, American musician
- 1974 - Jerry Stackhouse, American basketball player
- 1974 - Angela Gossow, singer
- 1975 - Jamie Madrox, Twiztid
- 1977 - Brittney Skye, American porn star
- 1977 - Richard Wright, English footballer
- 1980 - Christoph Metzelder, German footballer
- 1982 - Han Ji-min, South Korean actress
- 1983 - Mike Hanke, German footballer
- 1985 - Kate DeAraugo, Australian Idol 2005
- 1986 - BoA, Korean singer
- 1986 - Kasper Schmeichel, Danish footballer
- 1515 - Mariotto Albertinelli, Italian painter (b. 1474)
- 1559 - Kano Motonobu, Japanese painter (b. 1476)
- 1660 - Lucy Hay, Countess of Carlisle, English socialite (b. 1599)
- 1660 - Alexandre de Rhodes, French Jesuit missionary (b. 1591)
- 1701 - Charles Gerard, 2nd Earl of Macclesfield, French-born English politician (c. 1659)
- 1714 - Bernardino Ramazzini, Italian physician (b. 1633)
- 1752 - Carl Andreas Duker, German classical scholar (b. 1670)
- 1758 - Hans Egede, Norwegian Lutheran missionary (b. 1686)
- 1828 - Maria Fyodorovna of Russia, second wife of Tsar Paul I of Russia (b. 1759)
- 1836 - Karel Hynek Mácha, Czech poet (b. 1810)
- 1879 - James Clerk Maxwell, Scottish physicist (b. 1831)
- 1930 - Christiaan Eijkman, Dutch physician and pathologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1858)
- 1933 - Texas Guinan, American saloon keeper, actress, and musician (b. 1884)
- 1941 - Arndt Pekurinen, Finnish pacifist (b. 1905)
- 1942 - George M. Cohan, American musician, actor, writer, and composer (b. 1878)
- 1944 - Alexis Carrel, French surgeon and biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1873)
- 1951 - Reggie Walker, South African athlete (b. 1889)
- 1955 - Maurice Utrillo, French artist (b. 1883)
- 1956 - Art Tatum, American musician (b. 1909)
- 1960 - Ward Bond, American actor (b. 1903)
- 1960 - Johnny Horton, Country music singer, (b.1925)
- 1960 - Mack Sennett, Canadian producer and director (b. 1880)
- 1964 - Lansdale Sasscer, U.S. Congressman for Maryland's 5th District.
- 1964 - Buddy Cole, American jazz pianist and orchestra leader (b. 1916)
- 1971 - Sam Jones, baseball player (b. 1925)
- 1974 - Stafford Repp, American actor (b. 1918)
- 1975 - Edward Lawrie Tatum, American geneticist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1909)
- 1975 - Lionel Trilling, American critic and writer (b. 1905)
- 1977 - René Goscinny, French comic book writer (b. 1926)
- 1977 - Guy Lombardo, Canadian conductor (b. 1902)
- 1979 - Al Capp, American cartoonist (b. 1909)
- 1982 - Jacques Tati, French actor and director (b. 1908)
- 1985 - Spencer W. Kimball, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (b. 1895)
- 1985 - Arnold Chikobava, Georgian linguist (b. 1898)
- 1986 - Claude Jutra, Québécois actor and film director (b. 1930)
- 1989 - Vladimir Horowitz, Russian pianist (b. 1903)
- 1990 - Meir Kahane, Israeli rabbi and activist (b. 1932)
- 1991 - Fred MacMurray, American actor (b. 1908)
- 1991 - Robert Maxwell, Slovakian-born media entrepreneur (b. 1923)
- 1992 - Arpad Elo, American physicist and chess player (b. 1903)
- 1996 - Eddie Harris, American saxophonist (b. 1934)
- 1997 - James Robert Baker, American novelist, screenwriter (b. 1946)
- 1997 - Isaiah Berlin, Latvian-born historian of ideas (b. 1909)
- 2000 - Victor Grinich, American businessman (b. 1924)
- 2000 - Jimmie Davis, singer and politician (b. 1899)
- 2001 - Roy Boulting, English film director and producer (b. 1913)
- 2003 - Bobby Hatfield, American singer (Righteous Brothers) (b. 1940)
- 2005 - Rod Donald, New Zealand environmentalist (b. 1957)
- 2005 - John Fowles, English writer (b. 1926)
- 2006 - Bülent Ecevit, Four term Turkish Prime Minister. (b. 1925)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
November 4 - November 6 - October 5 - December 5 - more historical anniversaries
nov:5 de novembre
an:5 de nobiembre
ast:5 de payares
ca:5 de novembre
es:5 de noviembre
eo:5-a de novembro
fur:5 di Novembar
gd:5 an t-Samhain
gl:5 de novembro
io:5 di novembro
ia:5 de novembre
nap:5 'e nuvembre
oc:5 de novembre
pt:5 de Novembro
scn:5 di nuvèmmiru
vi:5 tháng 11
vec:5 de novenbre
wa:5 di nôvimbe