Learn more about November 4
November 4 is the 308th day of the year (309th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 57 days remaining.
- 1576 - Eighty Years' War: In Belgium, Spain captures Antwerp (after three days the city was nearly destroyed).
- 1677 - The future Mary II of England marries William, Prince of Orange. They would later be known as William and Mary.
- 1737 - The Teatro di San Carlo was inaugurated.
- 1825 - The Erie Canal was completed with DeWitt Clinton performing the Wedding of The Waters ceremony.
- 1842 - Abraham Lincoln, future US President, marries Mary Todd in Springfield, Illinois.
- 1852 - Count Camillo Benso di Cavour became the prime minister of Piedmont-Sardinia, which soon expanded to become Italy.
- 1861 - The University of Washington opens in Seattle, Washington as the Territorial University
- 1864 - American Civil War: Battle of Johnsonville - Confederate troops bombard a Union supply base and destroy millions of dollars in material.
- 1869 - The first issue of the scientific journal Nature is published.
- 1884 - U.S. presidential election, 1884: Democrat Grover Cleveland defeats Republican James G. Blaine in a very close contest to win the first of his two non-consecutive terms.
- 1889 - Menelek of Shoa obtains the allegiance of a large majority of the Ethiopian nobility, paving the way for him to be crowned emperor.
- 1890 - City & South London Railway: London's first deep-level tube railway opens between King William Street and Stockwell.
- 1899 - Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published.
- 1918 - World War I: Austria-Hungary surrenders to Italy.
- 1918 - The German Revolution begins when 40,000 sailors take over the port in Kiel.
- 1921 - The Sturmabteilung or SA is formally formed by Adolf Hitler
- 1921 - Japanese Prime Minister Hara Takashi assassinated in Tokyo.
- 1922 - In Egypt, British archaeologist Howard Carter and his men find the entrance to King Tutankhamun's tomb in the Valley of the Kings.
- 1924 - Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming elected as the first woman governor in the United States.
- 1928 - Arnold Rothstein, New York City's most notorious gambler, is shot dead over a poker game.
- 1939 - World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt orders the United States Customs Service to implement the Neutrality Act of 1939, allowing cash-and-carry purchases of weapons by belligerents.
- 1942 - World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein - Disobeying a direct order by Adolf Hitler, General Field Marshal Erwin Rommel leads his forces on a five-month retreat.
- 1944 - World War II: Adolf Hitler takes over the USSR.
- 1948 - T. S. Eliot wins the Nobel Prize in Literature.
- 1952 - U.S. presidential election, 1952: Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower defeats Democrat Adlai Stevenson.
- 1955 - The rebuilt Vienna State Opera reopens with Ludwig van Beethoven's Fidelio after it was totally destroyed in World War II.
- 1956 - Soviet troops enter Hungary to end the Hungarian revolution that started on October 23. Thousands are killed, more are wounded, and nearly a quarter million leave the country.
- 1960 - Filming wraps on The Misfits, starring Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable -- the last film for both.
- 1966 - Two-thirds of Florence, Italy is submerged as the Arno and Po rivers flood; 113 people die, 30,000 are rendered homeless, and countless Renaissance artworks and books are destroyed.
- 1970 - Vietnam War: Vietnamization - The United States turns control of the Binh Thuy Air Base in the Mekong Delta over to South Vietnam.
- 1970 - Genie, a 13 year old feral child was found in Los Angeles, California having been locked in her bedroom for most of her life.
- 1979 - Iran hostage crisis begins: Iranian radicals, mostly students, invade the United States embassy in Tehran and take 90 hostages (63 of whom are American).
- 1980 - U.S. presidential election, 1980: Republican challenger Ronald Reagan defeats incumbent Democrat Jimmy Carter by a wide margin.
- 1986 - Chief Justice Rose Bird and two colleagues are removed by the electorate from the Supreme Court of California for their opposition to capital punishment.
- 1989 - The congress of the Solidarity Party is inaugurated in Sweden. The congress decides, contrary to the proposal of the central committee, not to disband the party.
- 1993 - Jean Chrétien takes office as Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1993 - Bolivia becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1993 - A series of fires destroy 1000 homes in southern California, causing between 500 million and 1 billion USD of damage. Half of the fires turn out to be arson.
- 1993 - A China Airlines Boeing 747 overran Runway 13 at Hong Kong's Kai Tak International Airport while landing during a typhoon, injuring 22 people.
- 1994 - San Francisco: First conference that focused exlusively on the subject of the commercial potential of the World Wide Web.
- 1995 - Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin assassinated by an extreme right-wing Israeli.
- 2001 - Hurricane Michelle hits Cuba, destroying crops and thousands of homes.
- 2001 - The Police Service of Northern Ireland is established.
- 2001 - World Series: The Arizona Diamondbacks defeat the New York Yankees four games to three. They would become the youngest team in Major League Baseball to win the World Series.
- 2002 - Chinese authorities arrest cyber-dissident He Depu for signing pro-democracy letter to the 16th Communist Party Congress
- 2003 - The most powerful solar flare as observed by satellite instrumentation is recorded.
- 2003 - Former HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy becomes the first person indicted under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. He was eventually acquitted.
- 2004 - 12 French Soldiers, 3 UN personnel and hundreds of civilians die during the Côte d'Ivoire civil war.
- 1448 - King Alphonso II of Naples (d. 1495)
- 1470 - King Edward V of England, one of the two princes in the Tower
- 1575 - Guido Reni, Italian painter (d. 1642)
- 1631 - Mary of Orange, eldest daughter of Charles I of England and mother of William III of England (d. 1660)
- 1661 - Karl III Philip, Elector Palatine (d. 1742)
- 1740 - Augustus Montague Toplady, author of hymn, "Rock of Ages" (d. 1778)
- 1765 - Pierre Girard, French mathematician (d. 1836)
- 1836 - Henry J. Lutcher, Business leader (d. 1912)
- 1845 - Vasudeo Balwant Phadke, Indian revolutionary (d. 1883)
- 1874 - Aleksandr Vasilevich Kolchak, Russian military commander (d. 1920)
- 1879 - Will Rogers, American humorist (d. 1935)
- 1883 - Nikolaos Plastiras, Greek general (d. 1953)
- 1884 - Harry Ferguson, aviator, plane and farm equipment designer (Ferguson Company) (d. 1960)
- 1899 - Nicolas Frantz, Luxembourgish cyclist (d. 1985)
- 1900 - Lucreţiu Pătrăşcanu, Romanian communist activist and sociologist (d. 1954)
- 1901 - Princess Bang-ja of Korea (d. 1989)
- 1908 - Józef Rotblat, Polish physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 2005)
- 1908 - Stanley Cortez, American cinematographer (d. 1997)
- 1909 - Skeeter Webb, baseball player (d. 1986)
- 1909 - Bert Patenaude. American soccer player (d. 1974)
- 1912 - Vadim Salmanov, Russian composer (d. 1978)
- 1913 - Gig Young, American actor (d. 1978)
- 1916 - Walter Cronkite, American news broadcaster
- 1918 - Art Carney, American actor (d. 2003)
- 1918 - Cameron Mitchell, American actor (d. 1994)
- 1919 - Martin Balsam, American actor (d. 1996)
- 1922 - Benno Besson, Swiss actor (d. 2006)
- 1923 - Freddy Heineken, Dutch businessman (d. 2002)
- 1924 - Howie Meeker, National Hockey League player, politician
- 1930 - Doris Roberts, American actress
- 1930 - Dick Groat, baseball player
- 1932 - Thomas Klestil, President of Austria (d. 2004)
- 1933 - Tito Francona, baseball player (d. 2004)
- 1936 - C. K. Williams, American poet
- 1937 - Loretta Swit, American actress
- 1937 - Michael Wilson, Canadian politician
- 1943 - Marlène Jobert, French actress
- 1944 - Scherrie Payne, American singer (The Supremes)
- 1944 - Linda Gary, American voice-actress (d. 1995)
- 1946 - Laura Bush, First Lady of the United States
- 1946 - Robert Mapplethorpe, American photographer (d. 1989)
- 1950 - Charles Frazier, American author
- 1951 - Traian Băsescu, President of Romania
- 1953 - Carlos Gutierrez, American politician
- 1953 - Jacques Villeneuve (elder), motorsport driver
- 1955 - Matti Vanhanen, Prime Minister of Finland
- 1956 - Jordan Rudess, American musician (Dream Theater)
- 1956 - James Honeyman-Scott, English guitarist (The Pretenders) (d. 1982)
- 1960 - Marc Awodey, American artist and writer
- 1961 - Kathy Griffin, American comedienne
- 1961 - Edward Knight, American composer
- 1961 - Daron Hagen, American composer
- 1961 - Ralph Macchio, American actor
- 1961 - Les Sampou, American musician
- 1961 - Nigel Worthington, Northern Irish footballer
- 1962 - Jeff Probst, American television host
- 1963 - Marc Déry, Québécois singer and guitarist (Zébulon)
- 1963 - Michel Therrien, National Hockey League head coach
- 1965 - Wayne Static, American musician (Static-X)
- 1965 - Jeff Scott Soto, American musician (Yngwie Malmsteen Band, Journey)
- 1965 - Malandra Burrows, British actress and singer
- 1967 - Eric Karros, American baseball player
- 1968 - Carlos Baerga, Puerto Rican baseball player
- 1969 - Matthew McConaughey, American actor
- 1969 - Sean Jean "Diddy" Combs, American rapper
- 1972 - Luís Figo, Portuguese footballer
- 1972 - Tabassum Hashmi, Indian actress
- 1974 - Cedric Bixler-Zavala, American musician (At the Drive-in, The Mars Volta)
- 1975 - Eduard Kokcharov, Russian handball player
- 1975 - Curtis Stone, Australian chef and television personality
- 1976 - Mario Melchiot, Dutch footballer
- 1976 - Bruno Junqueira, Brazilian racing driver
- 1977 - Larry Bigbie, American baseball player
- 1977 - So Ji-sub, South Korean swimmer, model and actor
- 1978 - Carmen Cali, American baseball player
- 1978 - John Grabow, American baseball player
- 1979 - Audrey Hollander, American pornographic actress
- 1985 - Marcell Jansen, German footballer
- 1986 - Alexz Johnson, Canadian singer and actress
- 1990 - Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Canadian actor
- 1254 - John III Ducas Vatatzes, Emperor of the Empire of Nicaea (b. circa 1192).
- 1411 - Khalil Sultan, ruler of Transoxonia (b. 1384)
- 1584 - Saint Charles Borromeo, Italian cardinal (b. 1538)
- 1652 - Jean-Charles de la Faille, Belgian mathematician (b. 1597)
- 1669 - Johannes Cocceius, Dutch theologian (b. 1603)
- 1698 - Rasmus Bartholin, Danish physician and mathematician (b. 1625)
- 1702 - John Benbow, English admiral (b. 1653)
- 1704 - Andreas Acoluthus, German orientalist (b. 1654)
- 1781 - Johann Nikolaus Götz, German poet (b. 1721)
- 1801 - William Shippen, American physician and delegate to the Continental Congress (b. 1712)
- 1847 - Felix Mendelssohn, German composer (b. 1809)
- 1856 - Hippolyte Delaroche, French painter (b. 1797)
- 1893 - Pierre Tirard, French politician (b. 1827)
- 1918 - Wilfred Owen, English poet (b. 1893)
- 1924 - Gabriel Fauré, French composer (b. 1845)
- 1924 - Richard Conner, American Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient (b. 1843)
- 1928 - Arnold Rothstein, American gambler (b. 1882)
- 1930 - Buddy Bolden, American musician (b. 1877)
- 1950 - Grover Cleveland Alexander, American baseball player (b. 1887)
- 1955 - Cy Young, American baseball player (b. 1867)
- 1957 - Shoghi Effendi, Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith (b. 1897)
- 1968 - Michel Kikoine, Belarusian painter (b. 1892)
- 1974 - Bert Patenaude, American soccer player (b. 1909)
- 1980 - Elsie MacGill, Canadian aeronautical engineer (b. 1905)
- 1982 - Dominique Dunne, American actress (b. 1959)
- 1986 - Kurt Hirsch, German mathematician (b. 1906)
- 1987 - Shaike Ofir, Israeli actor (b. 1929)
- 1994 - Fred Sonic Smith, American guitar player MC5 (b. 1949)
- 1995 - Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (assassinated) (b. 1922)
- 1995 - Gilles Deleuze, French philosopher (suicide) (b. 1925)
- 1999 - Malcolm Marshall, Barbadian West Indies cricketer (b. 1958)
- 2003 - Richard Wollheim, British philosopher (b. 1923)
- 2005 - Nadia Anjuman, Afghan poet & journalist (b. 1980)
- 2005 - Sheree North, American actress and singer (b. 1932)
- 2006 - Ernestine Gilbreth Carey, American memoirist (Cheaper by the Dozen) (b. 1908)
 External links
November 3 - November 5 - October 4 - December 4 - more historical anniversaries
an:4 de nobiembre
ast:4 de payares
ca:4 de novembre
es:4 de noviembre
eo:4-a de novembro
fur:4 di Novembar
gd:4 an t-Samhain
gl:4 de novembro
io:4 di novembro
ia:4 de novembre
nap:4 'e nuvembre
nov:4 de novembre
oc:4 de novembre
pt:4 de Novembro
scn:4 di nuvèmmiru
vi:4 tháng 11
vec:4 de novenbre
wa:4 di nôvimbe