Learn more about November 3
November 3 is the 307th day of the year (308th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 58 days remaining.
- 625 - Honorius I is elected as Pope.
- 644 - Umar ibn al-Chattab, the second Muslim caliph, is killed by a Persian slave in Medina.
- 1462 - Henry IV of Castile is proclaimed prince of Catalunya.
- 1468 - Liege is sacked by Charles I of Burgundy's troops.
- 1481 - Francis I of Navarre is proclaimed king.
- 1483 - Giuliano della Rovere is appointed as Bishop of Bologna.
- 1493 - Christopher Columbus first sights the island of Dominica in the Caribbean Sea.
- 1792 - The University of Guadalajara, Mexico, is opened.
- 1793 - French playwright, journalist and feminist Olympe de Gouges is guillotined.
- 1810 - Giacchino Rossini's La cambiale di matrimonio is premiered.
- 1812 - Napoleonic armies defeated at Vyazma
- 1817 - The Bank of Montreal, Canada's oldest chartered bank, opens in Montreal, Quebec.
- 1838 - The Times of India, the world's largest circulated English language daily broadsheet newspaper is founded as The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce.
- 1844 - Debut of Giuseppe Verdi's I due Foscari, at Teatro Argentina, Rome.
- 1848 - A greatly revised constitution, drafted by Johan Rudolf Thorbecke, severely limiting the powers of the Dutch monarchy, and strengthening the powers of the parliament and the ministers, is proclaimed. This constitution is still in effect today.
- 1856 - A British fleet bombs Canton.
- 1868 - U.S. presidential election: Republican Ulysses S. Grant is elected to the first of his two terms in a victory over Democrat Horatio Seymour.
- 1883 - American Old West: Self-described "Black Bart the poet" gets away with his last stagecoach robbery, but leaves an incriminating clue that eventually leads to his capture.
- 1891 - Marshal Teodoro de Fonseca proclaim himself dictator of Brazil.
- 1896 - U.S. presidential election: Republican William McKinley is elected over Democrat William Jennings Bryan.
- 1898 - Manuel Antonio San Clemente becomes president of Colombia.
- 1903 - With the encouragement of the United States, Panama proclaims itself independent from Colombia. US President Theodore Roosevelt had wanted the United States to build the Panama Canal, but was not willing to pay what Colombia asked.
- 1905 - Zar Nicholas II of Russia signs a document of amnesty for the political prisoners.
- 1908 - U.S. presidential election: Republican William Howard Taft defeats William Jennings Bryan, Democratic candidate in his third and final nomination.
- 1911 - Chevrolet officially enters the automobile market in competition with the Ford Model T.
- 1913 - The USA introduces an income tax.
- 1930 - Getúlio Dornelles Vargas became Head of the Provisional Government in Brazil after a bloodless coup on October 24.
- 1935 - George II of Greece regains his throne through a popular plebiscite.
- 1936 - U.S. presidential election, 1936: Franklin D. Roosevelt is reelected to a second term in a landslide victory over Alf Landon.
- 1942 - World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein ends - German forces under Erwin Rommel are forced to retreat during the night.
- 1944 - World War II: Two supreme commanders of the Slovak National Uprising, Generals Ján Golian and Rudolf Viest are captured, tortured and later executed by German forces.
- 1954 - The first in the Godzilla series of films is released in Japan.
- 1957 - Sputnik program: The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 2. On board is the first animal to enter orbit: a dog named Laika.
- 1958 - The UNESCO Palace is inaugurated.
- 1959 - Ben Gurion's Israeli Labourist Party wins the elections.
- 1964 - U.S. presidential election, 1964: Incumbent US President Lyndon B. Johnson defeats Republican challenger Barry Goldwater, Sr with over 60 percent of the popular vote.
- 1967 - Vietnam War: Battle of Dak To begins.
- 1969 - Vietnam War: U.S. President Richard M. Nixon addresses the nation on television and radio, asking the "silent majority" to join him in solidarity on the Vietnam War effort and to support his policies.
- 1970 - Salvador Allende is inaugurated as president of Chile.
- 1972 - Salvador Allende forms a civil-military government in Chile.
- 1973 - Mariner program: NASA launches the Mariner 10 toward Mercury, on March 29, 1974 becoming the first space probe to reach that planet.
- 1975 - An independent audit of Mattel, one of the United States's largest toy manufacturers, reveals that company officials fabricated press releases and financial information to "maintain the appearance of continued corporate growth."
- 1978 - Dominica gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1979 - Greensboro massacre: Five members of the Communist Workers Party are shot dead and seven are wounded by a group of Klansmen and neo-Nazis during a "Death to the Klan" rally.
- 1982 - The Salang tunnel fire in Afghanistan kills up to 2,000+ people.
- 1984 - Indira Gandhi was cremated at Shakti Sthal.
- 1988 - Sri Lankan Tamil mercenaries try to overthrow the Maldivian government. At President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom's request, the Indian military suppresses the coup attempt within 24 hours.
- 1991 - Fifteen people are killed in the Barrios Altos massacre in Lima, Peru.
- 1992 - U.S. presidential election: Democratic challenger Bill Clinton defeats incumbent Republican George H.W. Bush and independent candidate Ross Perot.
- 1998 - Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura is elected Governor of the U.S. state of Minnesota.
- 2006 - The journal Science warns that by 2048, 90% of all maritime life may be extinct.
- 39 - Lucan, Roman poet (d. 65)
- 1500 - Benvenuto Cellini, Italian artist (d. 1571)
- 1558 - Thomas Kyd, author of The Spanish Tragedy (d. 1594)
- 1560 - Annibale Carracci, Italian painter (d. 1609)
- 1587 - Samuel Scheidt, German composer (d. 1654)
- 1604 - Osman II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1622)
- 1618 - Aurangzeb, Mughal Emperor of India (d. 1707)
- 1633 - Bernardino Ramazzini, Italian physician (d. 1714)
- 1718 - John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, English statesman (d. 1792)
- 1793 - Stephen F. Austin, American pioneer (d. 1836)
- 1794 - William Cullen Bryant, American poet and journalist (d. 1878)
- 1801 - Karl Baedeker, German author and publisher (d. 1859)
- 1801 - Vincenzo Bellini, Italian composer (d. 1835)
- 1816 - Jubal Early, American Confederate general (d. 1894)
- 1816 - Calvin Fairbank, American abolitionist minister (d. 1898)
- 1845 - Edward Douglass White, 9th Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1921)
- 1852 - Meiji Emperor, Japanese emperor (d. 1912)
- 1856 - Jim McCormick, Baseball player (d. 1918)
- 1857 - Mikhail Alekseev, Russian general (d. 1918)
- 1876 - Stephen Peter Alencastre, Roman Catholic prelate (d. 1940)
- 1877 - Carlos Ibáñez del Campo, Chilean president.
- 1887 - Samuil Marshak, Russian poet (d. 1964)
- 1893 - Edward Adelbert Doisy, American biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1986)
- 1895 - Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna of Russia (d. 1918)
- 1896 - Gustaf Tenggren, Swedish illustrator (d. 1970)
- 1899 - Gleb Wataghin, Ukrainian-Italian physicist (d. 1986)
- 1900 - Adolf Dassler, founder of Adidas (d. 1978)
- 1901 - Léopold III of Belgium (d. 1983)
- 1901 - André Malraux, French writer (d. 1976)
- 1903 - Walker Evans, American photographer (d. 1975)
- 1908 - Bronko Nagurski, American football player (d. 1990)
- 1909 - James Reston, American journalist (d. 1995)
- 1910 - Richard Hurndall, British actor (d. 1984)
- 1912 - Alfredo Stroessner, President of Paraguay (d. 2006)
- 1918 - Bob Feller, baseball player
- 1918 - Russell B. Long, U.S. Senator from Louisiana (d. 2003)
- 1918 - Dean Riesner, film and television screenwriter (d. 2002)
- 1919 - Jesús Blasco, Spanish comic book author (d. 1995)
- 1920 - Oodgeroo Noonuccal, Australian writer (d. 1993)
- 1921 - Charles Bronson, American actor (d. 2003)
- 1923 - Tomás Cardinal Ó Fiaich, Northern Irish clergyman (d. 1990)
- 1924 - Samuel Ruiz García, Mexican Roman Catholic bishop
- 1926 - Valdas Adamkus, President of the Republic of Lithuania
- 1930 - Brian Robinson, British cyclist
- 1931 - Yon Hyong-muk, North Korean politician (d. 2005)
- 1931 - Monica Vitti, Italian actress
- 1933 - Ken Berry, American actor
- 1933 - Jeremy Brett, English actor (d. 1995)
- 1933 - Michael Dukakis, American politician
- 1933 - Amartya Sen, Indian economist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1933 - John Barry, English composer
- 1936 - Roy Emerson, Australian tennis champion
- 1938 - Martin Dunwoody, British mathematician
- 1938 - Jean Rollin, French director and screenwriter
- 1941 - Brian Poole, English musician (The Tremeloes)
- 1945 - J. D. Souther, American country-rock singer/songwriter & actor
- 1945 - Gerd Müller, German footballer
- 1946 - Tom Savini, American actor
- 1948 - Lulu, British actress and singer
- 1949 - Larry Holmes, American boxer
- 1950 - Joe Queenan, American writer
- 1950 - Massimo Mongai, Italian writer
- 1952 - Roseanne, American actress and comedienne
- 1952 - Jim Cummings, American voice actor
- 1952 - David Ho, Taiwanese-American AIDS researcher
- 1953 - Kate Capshaw, American actress
- 1953 - Dennis Miller, American comedian
- 1953 - Larry Herndon, baseball player
- 1954 - Adam Ant, English singer
- 1954 - Brigitte Lin, Taiwanese actress
- 1955 - Phil Simms, American football player
- 1956 - Kevin Murphy, American actor and puppeteer
- 1956 - Gary Ross, American film director
- 1957 - Dolph Lundgren, Swedish actor
- 1959 - Hal Hartley, American film director and writer
- 1960 - Karch Kiraly, American volleyball player
- 1962 - Marilyn, British musician
- 1963 - Ian Wright, English footballer
- 1964 - Han Suk-kyu, South Korean actor
- 1967 - Steven Wilson, English musician and producer (Porcupine Tree)
- 1968 - Debbie Rochon, American actress
- 1969 - Luciana Gimenez, Brazilian model and hostess
- 1970 - Dawn Marie Psaltis, American professional wrestler
- 1971 - Dwight Yorke, Trinidadian footballer
- 1971 - Dylan Moran, Irish comedian
- 1972 - Ugo Ehiogu, English footballer
- 1973 - Nemone, Athlete and broadcaster
- 1973 - Mick Thompson, American guitarist (Slipknot)
- 1974 - Tariq Abdul-Wahad, French basketball player
- 1976 - Guillermo Franco, Argentine-Mexican footballer
- 1977 - Aria Giovanni, American model
- 1979 - Pablo Aimar, Argentine footballer
- 1981 - Jackie Gayda, American professional wrestler
- 1982 - Evgeny Plushenko, Russian figure skater
- 1982 - Travis Richter, American guitarist From First To Last
- 1986 - Jasmine Trias, American singer
- 1987 - Gemma Ward, Australian model
- 1987 - Elizabeth Smart, American kidnapping victim
- 361 - Constantius II, Roman Emperor (b. 317)
- 1254 - John III Ducas Vatatzes, Byzantine Emperor (b. 1193)
- 1428 - Thomas Montacute, 4th Earl of Salisbury, English military leader (mortally wounded in battle) (b. 1388)
- 1580 - Jeronimo Zurita y Castro, Spanish historian (b. 1512)
- 1600 - Richard Hooker, English theologian (b. 1554)
- 1643 - John Bainbridge, English astronomer (b. 1582)
- 1643 - Paul Guldin, Swiss astronomer and mathematician (b. 1577)
- 1711 - John Ernest Grabe, German-born Anglican theologian (b. 1666)
- 1787 - Robert Lowth, British bishop and grammarian (b. 1710)
- 1793 - Olympe de Gouges, French feminist and revolutionary (b. 1748)
- 1794 - François-Joachim de Pierre de Bernis, French cardinal and statesman (b. 1715)
- 1890 - Ulrich Ochsenbein, Swiss Federal Councilor (b. 1811)
- 1891 - Louis Lucien Bonaparte, French politician and linguist (b. 1813)
- 1918 - Aleksandr Mikhailovich Lyapunov, Russian scientist (b. 1857)
- 1926 - Annie Oakley, American sharp-shooter (b. 1860)
- 1929 - Olav Aukrust, Norwegian poet (b. 1883)
- 1933 - Emile Roux, French scientist (b. 1853)
- 1939 - Charles Tournemire, French composer and organist (b. 1870)
- 1954 - Henri Matisse, French artist (b. 1869)
- 1957 - Wilhelm Reich, Austrian psychotherapist (b. 1897)
- 1964 - John Henry Barbee, American guitarist and singer (b. 1905)
- 1970 - Peter II of Yugoslavia (b. 1923)
- 1990 - Mary Martin, American actress (b. 1913)
- 1993 - Leon Theremin, Russian inventor (b. 1895)
- 1995 - Gordon S. Fahrni, physician and president of the Canadian Medical Association (b. 1887)
- 1996 - Abdullah Çatlı, a Turkish nationalist and neofascist activist (b. 1956)
- 1996 - Jean-Bédel Bokassa, President of the Central African Republic (b. 1921)
- 1998 - Bob Kane, comic artist & Batman co creator (b. 1915)
- 1999 - Ian Bannen, Scottish actor (b. 1928)
- 2001 - Ernst Gombrich, Austrian art historian (b. 1909)
- 2002 - Lonnie Donegan, Scottish musician (b. 1931)
- 2002 - Jonathan Harris, American actor (b. 1914)
- 2003 - Rasul Gamzatov, Russian poet (b. 1923)
- 2004 - Sergei Zholtok, Latvian hockey player (b. 1972)
- 2006 - Paul Mauriat, French musician (b. 1925)
- 2006 - Alberto Spencer, Ecuadorean footballer (b. 1937)
- 2006-Marie Rudisill, American Author and Fruitcake Lady (b. 1911)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
November 2 - November 4 - October 3 - December 3 – more historical anniversaries
an:3 de nobiembre
ast:3 de payares
ca:3 de novembre
es:3 de noviembre
eo:3-a de novembro
fur:3 di Novembar
gd:3 an t-Samhain
gl:3 de novembro
io:3 di novembro
ia:3 de novembre
nap:3 'e nuvembre
nov:3 de novembre
oc:3 de novembre
pt:3 de Novembro
scn:3 di nuvèmmiru
vi:3 tháng 11
vec:3 de novenbre
wa:3 d' nôvimbe