Novaya Gazeta

Learn more about Novaya Gazeta

Jump to: navigation, search

Novaya Gazeta is a Russian newspaper. A semi-weekly covering political and social issues, it is published in Moscow, Russian regions and some foreign countries. The general circulation is now near 550,000 copies. In addition, it has a colour monthly supplement with a 75,000-copy circulation.

Novaya Gazeta is known for being critical of Russian government policy. Anna Politkovskaya wrote for Novaya Gazeta until her assassination on October 7, 2006. The journalist told in an essay that the editors received

"visitors every day in our editorial office who have nowhere else to bring their troubles, because the Kremlin finds their stories off-message, so that the only place they can be aired is in our newspaper, Novaya Gazeta."

(Politkovskaya 2006)

Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and State Duma Deputy Alexander Lebedev own 49% of the newspaper and the paper's staff controls the remaining 51% of shares. (MosNews 2006)

[edit] References

[edit] External links

ca:Nòvaia Gazeta

de:Nowaja Gaseta fr:Novaïa Gazeta nl:Novaja Gazeta ru:Новая газета fi:Novaja gazeta sv:Novaja Gazeta

Novaya Gazeta

Views
Personal tools
what is world wizzy?
  • World Wizzy is a static snapshot taken of Wikipedia in early 2007. It cannot be edited and is online for historic & educational purposes only.