London County Council
Learn more about London County Council
|Territory||County of London|
|HQ||County Hall, Lambeth|
|Created|| 1889 |
Local Government Act 1888
London Government Act 1963
London County Council (LCC) was the principal local government body for the County of London, throughout its 1889-1965 existence, and the first London-wide general municipal authority to be directly elected. It covered the area today known as Inner London and was replaced by the Greater London Council. The LCC was the largest, most significant and ambitious municipal authority of its day. <ref>Saint, A., Politics and the people of London: the London County Council (1889-1965), (1989)</ref>
The creation of the LCC in 1889, as part of the Local Government Act 1888, was forced by a succession of scandals involving the Metropolitan Board of Works (MBW), its predecessor, which had not been directly elected. While the Conservative government of the day would have preferred not to create a single body covering the whole of London, their electoral pact with Liberal Unionists led them to this policy. A later Government created the 28 metropolitan boroughs as lower tier authorities to replace the various local vestries and boards in 1899; they assumed some powers of the LCC and shared others.
The LCC inherited the powers of its predecessor the MBW, but also had wider authority over matters such as education, city planning and council housing. It took over the functions of the London School Board in 1903, and Dr C W Kimmins was appointed chief inspector of the education department in 1904.
From 1899 the Council progressively acquired and operated the tramways in the county, which it electrified from 1903. By 1933, when the LCC Tramways were taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board, it was the largest tram operator in the United Kingdom, with more than 167 miles of route and over 1,700 tramcars.
Initially, it had been hoped by many that elections to the LCC would be conducted on a non-partisan basis, but in the Council two political groups formed. The majority group in 1889 was the Progressives, who were unofficially allied with the Liberal Party in national politics. Those who allied with the Conservative Party formed the Moderate group. In 1906, the Moderates added the name Municipal Reform.
The LCC was elected every three years. The Progressives were in control continuously from 1889 until 1907, when they lost power to the Municipal Reformers. Municipal Reform control lasted until 1934 when Labour won power, which they kept until the LCC was abolished.
The LCC initially used the Spring Gardens headquarters of the Metropolitan Board of Works but by 1906 decided to buy three adjoining plots of land on the eastern side of Westminster Bridge as a site for a single headquarters. The County Hall designed by Ralph Knott was built there from 1909–1933 and passed into private ownership following the abolition of the Greater London Council. A London Residuary Body was appointed with the express purpose of managing the transfer of the assets of the GLC after 1985, making the task of re-establishing metropolitan authority rather more difficult for any post-Thatcher government.
 Leaders of the London County Council
The post of Leader was only officially recognised in 1933. This table gives the Leaders of the majority parties on the council before this time, although in the first term this had little relevance in terms of the leadership of the Council.
- Sir Thomas Farrer (March 21, 1889 - March 27, 1890)
- James Stuart (March 27, 1890 - March 9, 1892)
- Charles Harrison (March 9, 1892 - March 10, 1898)
- Thomas McKinnon Wood (March 10, 1898 - March 8, 1907)
- Richard Robinson (March 8, 1907 - March 11, 1908)
- Hon. William Wellesley Peel (March 11, 1908 - March 8, 1910)
- William Hayes Fisher (March 8, 1910 - December 19, 1911)
- Cyril Jackson (December 19, 1911 - March 16, 1915)
- Ronald Collett Norman (March 16, 1915 - March 1, 1918)
- Sir George Hume (March 1, 1918 - March 11, 1925)
- Sir William Ray (March 11, 1925 - March 9, 1934)
- Herbert Morrison (March 9, 1934 - May 27, 1940)
- Lord Latham (May 27, 1940 - July 29, 1947)
- Sir Isaac Hayward (July 29, 1947 - March 31, 1965)
 See also
|Government of London from 1855 to present|
Metropolitan Board of Works (MBW) 1855 - 1889
London County Council (LCC) 1889 - 1965
Greater London Council (GLC) 1965 - 1986