Learn more about Green Park
|Royal Parks of London|
Green Park (officially The Green Park) is one of the Royal Parks of London. Covering an area of about 53 acres, it was originally a swampy burial ground for lepers from the nearby hospital at Saint James's. It was first enclosed in the 16th century by Henry VIII. In 1668 Charles II made it a Royal Park, laying out the park's main walks.
It lies between London's Hyde Park and St. James's Park. Together with Kensington Gardens and the gardens of Buckingham Palace, these parks form an almost unbroken stretch of open land reaching from Whitehall and Victoria station to Kensington and Notting Hill.
By contrast with its neighbours, Green Park has no lakes nor any statues or fountains (except for Canada Memorial by Pierre Granche), but consists entirely of wooded meadows. The park is bounded on the south by Constitution Hill, on the east by the pedestrian Queen's Walk, and on the north by Piccadilly. It meets St. James's Park at Queen's Gardens with the Victoria Memorial at its centre, opposite the entrance to Buckingham Palace. To the south is the ceremonial avenue of The Mall, and the buildings of St James's Palace and Clarence House overlook the park to the east.
Green Park tube station is located on Piccadilly near the north end of Queen's Walk.
 External links