Learn more about Golders Green
</div></div> </div> </div> </td></tr>
|OS grid reference:||TQ248876|
|County level:||Greater London|
|Sovereign state:||United Kingdom|
|Ceremonial county:||Greater London|
|Historic county:||Middlesex (1889)|
|Police force:||Metropolitan Police|
|Fire brigade:||London Fire Brigade|
|Ambulance service:||London Ambulance|
|Post office and telephone|
|UK Parliament:||Finchley & Golders Green|
|London Assembly:||Barnet and Camden|
|London | List of places in London|
Golders Green is an area in the London Borough of Barnet in London, England. It is a suburban development and retail district situated 5.3 miles (8.5 km) north west of Charing Cross and centred on the cross roads of Golders Green Road and Finchley Road.
Golders Green is a very cosmopolitan district. It has had a thriving Jewish community since the 1900s. Kosher food, restaurants (notably "Bloom's") and accommodation are available. This is complemented by several Japanese, Turkish, Korean and Italian eateries as well as over a dozen coffee bars; a number of niche food stores, including two Japanese, two Iranian and one oriental, exist. The area is considered a well-to-do district and is also well known for late night bagels and a growing street cafe culture. Dunstan Road synagogue opened in 1922. There are now a number of synagogues and schools in the area. During the winter festival of Hanukkah a large Chanukia, a nine branch candle holder, is lit each night of the festival's eight days. The Golders Green expanding Orthodox, and particularly Haredi, Jewish community is considered to be one of the most important in the United Kingdom with several yeshivas (seminaries) and prominent rabbis. Golders Green also has a sizeable Japanese population as can be seen by the aforementioned Japanese resturants, food stores, and estate agents.
Golders Hill Park, adjoining Hampstead Heath, is a formal park in Golders Green. The site of a large house which burnt down in the 1930s, it has a walled garden, ponds, a water garden and a small children's zoo. The zoo has recently been renovated, and contains many varieties of bird and some animals. The park also contains a cafe, and a renowned ice-cream bar.
During the summer, children's activities are organised and there is often live music on the bandstand. The park is adjoined by The Hill, a formal garden with an extensive and imposing pergola.
Golders Green Crematorium is perhaps the area's most famous feature, an extensive crematorium garden with a range of features such as a special children's section and a pond. Its main buildings are architecturally interesting, having a distinct Italianate air.It is sometimes referred to as the 'celebrity crematorium' because of the high proportion of nationally and internationally renowned public figures to have been cremated there. Famous people whose cremations have taken place there include Anna Pavlova, Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, Kingsley Amis, T. S. Eliot, Keith Moon, Ivor Novello and Sigmund Freud.
It has been a place in the parish and manor of Hendon since around 13th century. The earliest references to the name "Temple Fortune" is on a map (c1754). However this name reveals a much earlier history. It is likely that the name refers to the Knight of St John, who had land here (c1240). Fortune may be derived from a small settlement (tun) on the route from Hampstead to Hendon arrived at before arriving at Hendon. Here a lane from Finchley, called Ducksetters lane (c1475), intersected. It is likely that the settlement was originally the Bleccanham estate (c900s). By the end of the 18th century Temple Fortune Farm was established on the northern side of Farm Close.
The building of the Finchley Road (c1827), replaced Ducksetters lane as a route to Finchley, and resulted in the development of a small hamlet. Hendon Park Row (c1860s) is of this period, and consisted of around thirty small dwellings built by a George Stevens, which were, with two exceptions, demolished (c1956). A small dame school and prayer house run by Anglican Deaconesses existed in the 1890s and 1900s, which developed to become St Barnabas (1915). Along the Finchley Road was a number of villas (c1830s), joined by the Royal Oak public house (c1850s). By the end of the 19th century there were around 300 people living in the area, which included a laundry, a small hospital for children with skin diseases. The principal industry was brick making.
In 1895 a Jewish Cemetery was established adjacent of Hoop Lane, with the first burial in 1897. Golders Green Crematorium was opened in 1902 (although much of it was built after 1905). The significant moment in Temple Fortune's development into a suburban area occurred in 1907. The Carmelite Monastery was established in Bridge Lane in 1908.
Transport links were vastly improved in 1907 with the opening of Golders Green tube station. Although the area had been served by horse drawn omnibuses (since at least the 1880s) and later motor buses (from 1907), it was the tram line of 1910, connecting Church End Finchley with Golders Green Station, which led to the development of the area west of the Finchley road. The establishment of the Hampstead Garden Suburb brought major changes to the area east of the Finchley Road. Temple Fortune Farm was demolished, and along the front of the road, the building of Arcade, and Gateway House (c1911) established the Hampstead Garden Suburbs retail district.
Both the Golders Green Hippodrome, fomer home of the BBC Concert Orchestra, and the Police Station opened in 1913. St Edward the Confessor, a Roman Catholic church, was built in 1916. The now demolished Orpheum Theatre (1930), was intended to rival the Hippodrome in Golders Green.
 Places of interest
- Wessex Gardens Primary School
- Golders Green Crematorium
- Hampstead Heath Youth Hostel
- Golders Green Hippodrome
- Golders Hill Park
 Nearest places
- south is Childs Hill
- west is Hendon and Brent Cross
- east is Hampstead and North End
- north is Hampstead Garden Suburb
 Transport Links