Forum of Constantine

Learn more about Forum of Constantine

Jump to: navigation, search

The Forum of Constantine was built at the foundation of Byzantium immediately outside of the old walls. It was circular in shape and had two monumental gates to the east and west. The column of Constantine which still stands upright and is known today in Turkish as Çemberlitaþ was erected in the centre of the square.

It was originally crowned with a statue of Constantine, but this fell down in 1106 and was replaced under Manuel Comnenus (1143-1180) by a cross. Otherwise the forum remained nearly intact until 1204. The Senate House lay on the north side of it. We know from the sources that the square was decorated with a number of antique statues, but it is impossible to determine their exact appearance and location.

The Forum suffered major damage in a fire started by soldiers of the Fourth Crusade in 1203. After the Sack of 1204, the antique statues decorating the Forum were melted down by the Crusaders.

Forum of Constantine

Views
Personal tools
what is world wizzy?
  • World Wizzy is a static snapshot taken of Wikipedia in early 2007. It cannot be edited and is online for historic & educational purposes only.