Learn more about Finance minister
A minister of finance (also called financial affairs, the treasury, the economy, or economic affairs) has many different jobs in a government. He or she helps form the budget, stimulate the economy, or helps control finances. Finance ministers are often found in state or provincial governments if that country has a form of federalism.
Finance ministers powers can vary from governments, but not like a foreign minister. Sometimes the finance minister is the most powerful cabinet post, like in Canada or New Zealand. Other times they are unpopular posts if they must raise taxes or cut spending.
In the United States, the finance minister is called the Secretary of the Treasury, though there is a separate Treasurer of the United States and it is the director of the Office of Management and Budget who drafts the budget. In the United Kingdom, the finance minister is called the Chancellor of the Exchequer. In Hong Kong it is called the Financial Secretary, though there is a Secretary for the Treasury subordinate to him.
 Related articles and lists
- Australia: Treasurer of Australia (with list) - There is also a Finance Minister who is junior to the Treasurer.
- Canada: Minister of Finance (list)
- Denmark: Finance Minister (list)
- France: Minister of the Economy, Finance and Industry (list)
- Germany: Minister of Finance (list)
- Hong Kong: Financial Secretary (with list), Secretary for the Treasury (under Financial Secretary)
- India: Union Cabinet Minister of Finance, (list)
- Ireland: Minister for Finance (with list)
- Japan: Minister of Finance (with list)
- Mexico:Secretary of Finance
- New Zealand: Minister of Finance (with list)
- Norway: Minister of Finance (with list)
- Pakistan: Finance Minister of Pakistan (with list)
- Russia: Finance Minister of Russia
- Samoa: Minister for Finance (with list)
- Scotland: Minister for Finance (with list)
- Serbia: Mlađan Dinkić
- Singapore: Minister for Finance, Ministry of Finance
- South Korea: Ministry of Finance and Economy
- Spain: Minister of Economy and Finance
- Switzerland: Member of the Federal Council heading the "Federal Department of Finance" (with list)
- United Kingdom: Chancellor of the Exchequer (with list). Junior posts include the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, and others detailed at Secretary to the Treasury.
- United States: Secretary of the Treasury (with list)da:Finansminister