Learn more about Counter-intelligence
Counter-intelligence is the activity of preventing the enemy from obtaining secret information, such as careful classification and control of sensitive information and spreading disinformation.
Counter-espionage is spying directed against an enemy's spy system, such as by recruiting agents in foreign intelligence organs.
Most governments and militaries have organizations which specifically fulfill this role. Methods include surveillance of suspects and their communications, undercover agents, monitoring the behavior of legally accredited 'diplomatic personnel' (some of whom are sometimes actually spies or spy handlers), and similar means.
When spying is discovered, counter-intelligence agencies are usually formally legally empowered to arrest espionage suspects, but it is often more productive to keep a careful eye on them to see what they know, where they go, and whom they talk to. Furthermore, disinformation can be used to deceive inimical organizations' (such as terrorist groups) or hostile countries' spies and their sponsors, or make them cease their activities if they learn their information has become unreliable and/or their secrecy has been compromised. Intelligence and counterintelligence activities occur not only between governments but between industries as well as criminal and, as stated before, terrorist groups.
 Counter-intelligence agencies
- Agência Brasileira de Inteligência (Abin) - Brazil
- Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) - Australia
- Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) - Germany
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) - Canada
- Direction de la Surveillance du Territoire (DST) - France
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) - United States
- Counterintelligence Field Activity (CIFA) - United States
- Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive (NCIX) - United States
- FSB - Russian Federation
- Shabak - Israel
- KGB - Soviet Union
- MI5 (the Security Service) - United Kingdom
- National Intelligence Agency (NIA) - South Africa
- Inter-Services Intelligence - Pakistan
- Swedish Security Service (Säpo) - Sweden
- Serviço de Informações e Segurança (SIS) - Portugal