Clyde V. Prestowitz Jr.
Learn more about Clyde V. Prestowitz Jr.
Founder and President of the Economic Strategy Institute, Clyde Prestowitz served as counselor to the Secretary of Commerce in the Reagan Administration. There, he led many U.S. trade and investment negotiations with Japan, China, Latin America, and Europe.
He is the author of the best-selling book on U.S.-Japan relations, Trading Places, and co-author and editor of several other books on international trade and business strategy including Asia After the Miracle, Powernomics, Bit by Bit, and The New North American Trade Order. Before joining the Commerce Department, Prestowitz was a senior businessman in the United States, Europe, Japan, and throughout Asia and Latin America.
He regularly writes for leading publications, including the New York Times, Washington Post, and Foreign Affairs. He was the vice chairman of the President's Committee on Trade and Investment in the Pacific and sits on the board of the US Member Committee of Pacific Basin Economic Council (PBEC).
Mr. Prestowitz has a B.A. with honors from Swarthmore College, an M.A. in East-West Policies and Economics from the East-West Center of the University of Hawaii, and an M.B.A. from the Wharton Graduate School of Business. He also studied at Keio University in Tokyo. He is fluent in Japanese, Dutch, German, and French.
 Books & Articles
- Don't Pester Europe on Genetically Modified Food New York Times Op-Ed January 24, 2003
- The South Korean Firehose The Globalist July 25, 2005, link
- Three Billion New Capitalists: The Great Shift of Wealth And Power to the East, 2005
- Rogue Nation - American Unilateralism and The Failure of Good Intentions, 2003
- Three Billion New Capitalists. Audio of discussion from Carnegie Council on June 1, 2005.
- The World Turned Upside Down: The Impact of the Return of India and China to their Historical Global Weight MIT world Video. given on April 4, 2006
- In Depth: Tuff Enough? Can the US continue to command the attention of world markets when the dollar is dropping and free trade is flourishing? PBS' Foreign Exchange with Fareed Zakaria, aired on August 4, 2006. Transcript
- Three Billion New Capitalists book interview on ABC Radio Australia, July 11, 2006
 External links
- Economic Strategy Institute
- Clyde Prestowitz discusses, Three Billion New Capitalists, at the Carnegie Council
- Clyde Prestowitz discuess, Rogue Nation, at the Carnegie Council.