Learn more about Catshuis
As Huis Sorgvliet it was built on the site of a former farm (probably part of the living quarters was worked in the left wing) by Jacob Cats (1577-1660), a prominent poet and politician who lived there since 14 July 1652. Originally it had only one story.
In 1675 estate Sorghvliet came into the possession of Hans Willem Bentinck, chamberlain of the future king-stadholder William III (1650-1702). His son, Willem Bentinck, had a bronze bell and tower installed in 1738.
To conform with modern norms of security, logistics, climatisation, hygiene, comfort and technical aspects of managament, it was extensively renovated in 1999-2004.
- Introductiedossier Ministerie van Algemene Zaken, d.d. 22 juli 2002 op: http://www.minaz.nl/minister-president/
- Dutch ministry of General Affairs- Virtual tournl:Catshuis