Learn more about August 17
August 17 is the 229th day of the year (230th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 136 days remaining.
- 1427 - First band of gypsies visits Paris, according to an account of the citizen of Paris.
- 1807 - Robert Fulton's first American steamboat leaves New York City for Albany, New York on the Hudson River, inaugurating the first commercial steamboat service in the world.
- 1862 - Indian Wars: Lakota (Sioux) uprising begins in Minnesota as desperate Lakota attack white settlements along the Minnesota River.
- 1863 - American Civil War: In Charleston, South Carolina, Union batteries and ships bombard Confederate-held Fort Sumter.
- 1864 - American Civil War: Battle of Gainesville - Confederate forces defeat Union troops near Gainesville, Florida.
- 1877 - After he is fatally wounded, Arizona blacksmith F.P. Cahill becomes the first person killed by Billy the Kid.
- 1883 - The first public performance of the Dominican Republic's national anthem, Quisqueyanos valientes.
- 1914 - World War I: Battle of Stalluponen - The German army of General Hermann von François defeats the Russian force commanded by Pavel Rennenkampf near modern-day Nesterov, Russia.
- 1915 - Jewish American Leo Frank is lynched for the alleged murder of a 13-year-old girl in Marietta, Georgia.
- 1918 - Bolshevik revolutionary leader Moisei Uritsky is assassinated.
- 1933 - New York Yankees first baseman Lou Gehrig played his 1,308th consecutive game, breaking Everett Scott's record. He would continue the streak until 1939.
- 1942 - U.S. Marines raid the Japanese-held Pacific island of Makin (Butaritari).
- 1943 - World War II: The U.S. Eighth Air Force suffers the loss of 60 bombers on the Schweinfurt-Regensburg mission.
- 1943 - World War II: The U.S. Seventh Army under General George S. Patton arrive in Messina, Italy, followed several hours later by the British 8th Army under Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery, thus completing the Allied conquest of Sicily.
- 1943 - World War II: First Québec Conference of Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and William Lyon Mackenzie King begins.
- 1945 - Indonesian Declaration of Independence.
- 1953 - Addiction: First meeting of Narcotics Anonymous in Southern California.
- 1960 - Gabon gains independence from France.
- 1962 - East German border guards kill 18-year-old Peter Fechter as he attempts to cross the Berlin Wall into West Berlin. He thus became the first victim of the wall.
- 1963 - A ferry linking remote islands off the coast of Okinawa sinks, killing 112.
- 1969 - Category 5 Hurricane Camille hits the Mississippi coast, killing 248 people and causing $1.5 billion in damage.
- 1970 - Venera Program: Venera 7 launched. It will later become the first spacecraft to successfully transmit data from the surface of another planet (Venus).
- 1978 - Double Eagle II becomes first balloon to cross the Atlantic Ocean when it lands in Miserey near Paris, 137 hours after leaving Presque Isle, Maine.
- 1979 - Two Soviet Aeroflot jetliners collide in mid-air over Ukraine, killing 156
- 1980 - Azaria Chamberlain disappears, likely taken by a dingo, leading to what was then the most publicised trial in Australian history.
- 1988 - Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq and US Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed in a plane crash.
- 1991 - Wade Frankum starts his killing spree in Strathfield, Australia, an event that was later dubbed the Strathfield Massacre.
- 1998 - Monica Lewinsky scandal: US President Bill Clinton admits in taped testimony that he had an "improper physical relationship" with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. On the same day he admits before the nation that he "misled people" about his relationship.
- 1999 - A 7.4-magnitude earthquake strikes İzmit, Turkey, killing more than 17,000 and injuring 44,000.
- 2004 - MD5 collision found by Chinese researchers.
- 2004 - The National Assembly of Serbia unanimously adopts new state symbols for Serbia: Boze Pravde becomes the new anthem and the coat of arms is adopted for the whole country.
- 2005 - The first forced evacuation of settlers, as part of the Israel unilateral disengagement plan, starts.
- 1473 - Richard, Duke of York, one of the Princes in the Tower (d. 1483?)
- 1562 - Hans Leo Hassler (baptised), German composer (d. 1612)
- 1578 - Francesco Albani, Italian painter (d. 1660)
- 1601 - Pierre de Fermat, French mathematician (d. 1665)
- 1629 - King John III of Poland (d. 1696)
- 1768 - Louis Charles Antoine Desaix, French general (d. 1800)
- 1786 - Davy Crockett, American frontiersman and soldier (d. 1836)
- 1828 - Jules Bernard Luys, French neurologist (d. 1897)
- 1844 - Emperor Menelek II of Ethiopia (d. 1913)
- 1863 - Gene Stratton-Porter, American author, screenwriter and naturalist (d. 1924)
- 1866 - Julia Marlowe, Shakespearean actress (d. 1950)
- 1882 - Samuel Goldwyn, Hollywood producer (d. 1974)
- 1887 - Marcus Garvey, Jamaican leader, Rastafari prophet (d. 1940)
- 1887 - Emperor Charles I of Austria (d. 1922)
- 1890 - Harry Hopkins, 8th United States Secretary of Commerce (d. 1946)
- 1890 - Stefan Bastyr, Polish aviator, first flight in independent Poland (d. 1920)
- 1893 - Mae West, American actress and playwright (d. 1980)
- 1896 - Leslie Groves, American military engineer, built The Pentagon,directed Manhattan Project (d. 1970)
- 1904 - Leopold Nowak, Austrian musicologist (d. 1991)
- 1911 - Mikhail Botvinnik, chess player (d. 1995)
- 1913 - W. Mark Felt, FBI associate director and Deep Throat Watergate informant
- 1913 - Rudy York, baseball player (d. 1970)
- 1920 - Maureen O'Hara, actress
- 1926 - Jiang Zemin, 3rd President of the People's Republic of China
- 1929 - Francis Gary Powers, U-2 pilot (d. 1977)
- 1930 - Glenn Corbett, actor (d. 1993)
- 1930 - Ted Hughes, English poet (d. 1998)
- 1932 - V. S. Naipaul, West Indian-born writer, Nobel Prize Laureate
- 1933 - Gene Kranz, NASA flight director
- 1935 - Oleg Tabakov, Russian actor
- 1938 - Abu Bakar Bashir, Indonesian Muslim cleric
- 1939 - Luther Allison, American blues guitarist
- 1943 - Robert De Niro, American actor
- 1943 - Dave "Snaker" Ray, American blues guitarist (d. 2002)
- 1948 - Rod MacDonald, American musician
- 1951 - Alan Minter, boxer
- 1952 - Nelson Piquet, Brazilian formula one driver
- 1952 - Guillermo Vilas, Argentinian tennis player
- 1954 - Eric Johnson, guitarist
- 1955 - Richard Hilton, American heir
- 1956 - Gail Berman, president of Paramount Pictures
- 1957 - Robin Cousins, British figure skater
- 1958 - Belinda Carlisle, American singer
- 1958 - Kirk Stevens, Canadian snooker player
- 1959 - David Koresh, American cult leader (d. 1993)
- 1959 - Jonathan Franzen, American author
- 1960 - Sean Penn, American actor, director
- 1962 - Gilby Clarke, American musician Guns N' Roses
- 1964 - Colin James, blues musician
- 1966 - Rodney Mullen, American skateboarder
- 1966 - William E. Dudley, American poet
- 1968 - Ed McCaffrey, American football player
- 1969 - Donnie Wahlberg, American actor and singer
- 1970 - Jim Courier, American tennis player
- 1970 - Rupert Degas, English actor and voice artist
- 1970 - Oyvind Leonhardsen, Norwegian footballer
- 1971 - Jorge Posada, Puerto Rican Major League Baseball player
- 1971 - Uhm Jung-hwa, South Korean singer and actress
- 1977 - Thierry Henry, French footballer
- 1977 - Tarja Turunen, Finnish singer (Nightwish)
- 1977 - William Gallas, French footballer
- 1979 - Antwaan Randle El, American football player
- 1980 - Lene Marlin, Norwegian singer
- 1980 - Keith Dabengwa, Zimbabwean cricketer
- 1982 - Akisha Samia, Hawaiian professional wrestler
- 1982 - Melissa Anderson, independent professional wrestler
- 1985 - Reda Wahid, Lebanese footballer
- 1986 - Rudy Gay, American basketball player
- 1986 - Tyrus Thomas, American basketball player
- 1990 - Rachel Hurd-Wood, British actress
- 1153 - Eustace IV of Boulogne, son of Stephen of England (b. 1130)
- 1304 - Emperor Go-Fukakusa of Japan (b. 1243)
- 1510 - Edmund Dudley, English statesman (b. 1462)
- 1657 - Robert Blake, British admiral (b. 1599)
- 1673 - Regnier de Graaf, Dutch physician and anatomist (b. 1641)
- 1676 - Hans Jakob Christoph von Grimmelshausen, German novelist (b. 1621)
- 1720 - Anne Lefèvre, French scholar (b. 1654)
- 1723 - Joseph Bingham, English scholar (b. 1668)
- 1768 (N. S.) - Vasily Kirillovich Trediakovsky, Russian poet (b. 1703)
- 1785 - Jonathan Trumbull, Governor of the Colony and the state of Connecticut (b. 1710)
- 1786 - King Frederick II of Prussia (b. 1712)
- 1834 - Husein Gradaščević, Bosnian rebel leader (b. 1802)
- 1850 - Don José de San Martín, Argentine general (b. 1778)
- 1850 - Honoré de Balzac, French novelist (b. 1799)
- 1875 - Wilhelm Bleek, linguist (b. 1827)
- 1880 - Ole Bull, Norwegian violinist (b. 1810)
- 1896 - Bridget Driscoll, world's first automobile fatality
- 1901 - Edmond Audran, French composer (b. 1842)
- 1918 - Moisei Uritsky, Russian revolutionary (b. 1873)
- 1920 - Ray Chapman, baseball player (b. 1891)
- 1925 - Ioan Slavici, Transylvanian writer of Romanian origin (b. 1848)
- 1940 - Billy Fiske, American aviator and Olympic athlete (b. 1911)
- 1954 - Billy Murray, recording artist (b. 1877)
- 1962 - Peter Fechter trying to cross the Berlin Wall (b. 1944)
- 1969 - Otto Stern, German physicist, Nobel Prize Laureate (b. 1888)
- 1971 - Wilhelm List, German field marshal (b. 1880)
- 1973 - Jean Barraqué, French composer (b. 1928)
- 1973 - Paul Williams, American singer (The Temptations) (b. 1939)
- 1973 - Conrad Aiken, American author (b. 1889)
- 1979 - Vivian Vance, actress (b. 1909)
- 1983 - Ira Gershwin, American lyricist (b. 1896)
- 1987 - Rudolf Hess, Nazi deputy (b. 1894)
- 1988 - Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, 6th President of Pakistan (b. 1924)
- 1990 - Pearl Bailey, American singer and actress (b. 1918)
- 1992 - Al Parker, actor (b. 1952)
- 2004 - Gérard Souzay, French baritone (b. 1918)
- 2005 - John Bahcall, astrophysicist (b. 1934)
 Holidays and observances
 Liturgical feasts
 External links
August 16 - August 18 - July 17 - September 17 -- listing of all days
nov:17 de auguste
es:17 de agosto
eo:17-a de aŭgusto
fur:17 di Avost
gl:17 de agosto
io:17 di agosto
ia:17 de augusto
nap:17 'e aùsto
pt:17 de Agosto
scn:17 di austu
vi:17 tháng 8
vec:17 de agosto
wa:17 d' awousse