Learn more about November 22
(Redirected from 22 November
November 22 is the 326th day (327th on leap years) of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 39 days remaining.
- 498 - After the death of Anastasius II, Symmachus is elected pope in the Lateran Palace, while Laurentius is elected pope in Santa Maria Maggiore.
- 1718 - Off the coast of North Carolina, British pirate Edward Teach (best known as "Blackbeard") is killed in battle with a boarding party led by Lieutenant Robert Maynard.
- 1830 - Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1859 - Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection.
- 1864 - American Civil War: Sherman's March to the Sea: Confederate General John Bell Hood invades Tennessee in an unsuccessful attempt to draw Union General William T. Sherman from Georgia.
- 1880 - Vaudeville actress Lillian Russell makes her debut at Tony Pastor's Theatre in New York City.
- 1917 - In Montreal, Canada, the National Hockey Association breaks up (on November 26 it was replaced with the National Hockey League).
- 1922 - Egyptology: Howard Carter, assisted by Lord Carnarvon, opens the tomb of Tutankhamun.
- 1935 - The China Clipper takes off from Alameda, California in an attempt to deliver the first airmail cargo across the Pacific Ocean (the airplane later reached its destination, Manila, and delivered over 110,000 pieces of mail).
- 1940 - World War II: Following the Italian invasion, Greek troops advance into Albanian soil and liberate Korytsa.
- 1942 - World War II: Battle of Stalingrad - General Friedrich von Paulus sends Adolf Hitler a telegram saying that the German 6th army is surrounded.
- 1943 - World War II: War in the Pacific - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Chinese leader Chiang Kai-Shek meet in Cairo, Egypt, to discuss ways to defeat Japan (see Cairo Conference)
- 1943 - Lebanese Independence Day. Lebanon gains independence from France.
- 1963 - John F. Kennedy assassination: In Dallas, Texas, US President John F. Kennedy is assasinated by Lee Harvey Oswald and Texas Governor John B. Connally is seriously wounded. Later the same day, US Vice-President Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as the 36th President of the United States.
- 1967 - UN Security Council Resolution 242 is adopted by the UN Security Council, establishing a set of the principles aimed at guiding negotiations for an Arab-Israeli peace settlement.
- 1968 - The Beatles release the double album The Beatles, commonly known as The White Album.
- 1972 - Vietnam War: The United States loses its first B-52 Stratofortress of the war.
- 1974 - The United Nations General Assembly grants the Palestine Liberation Organization observer status.
- 1975 - Juan Carlos is declared King of Spain following the death of Francisco Franco.
- 1977 - British Airways inaugurates a regular London to New York City supersonic Concorde service.
- 1986 - Boxing: Mike Tyson knocks out Trevor Berbick in the second round, becoming the youngest world heavyweight champion at the age of 20 years and 4 months.
- 1988 - In Palmdale, California, the first prototype B-2 Spirit stealth bomber is revealed.
- 1989 - In West Beirut, a bomb explodes near the motorcade of Lebanese President Rene Moawad, killing him.
- 1990 - Margaret Thatcher resigns as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1999 - Wayne Gretzky is inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, his number 99 permanently retired by the NHL.
- 2002 - In Nigeria, more than 100 people are killed at an attack aimed at the contestants of the Miss World contest.
- 2003 - In Tbilisi, Georgia, opponents of President Eduard Shevardnadze seize the parliament building and demand the president's resignation.
- 2003 - The Heritage Classic, the first outdoor hockey game in the history of the NHL, is played in Edmonton, Alberta
- 2003 - England defeat Australia to win England's first Rugby World Cup.
- 2004 - The Orange Revolution begins in Ukraine, resulting from the presidential elections.
- 2005 - Ted Koppel retires after hosting Nightline for over 26 years.
- 2005 - Angela Merkel becomes the first female Chancellor of Germany.
- 1428 - Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, English politician (d. 1471)
- 1458 - Jacob Obrecht, Dutch composer (d. 1505)
- 1515 - Marie of Guise, Queen of James V of Scotland and regent of Scotland (d. 1560)
- 1564 - Henry Brooke, 11th Baron Cobham, English conspirator (d. 1610)
- 1602 - Elisabeth of France, Queen of Philip IV of Spain (d. 1644)
- 1635 - Francis Willughby, English biologist (d. 1672)
- 1643 - Robert Cavelier de La Salle, French explorer (d. 1687)
- 1698 - Pierre de Rigaud, Canadian-born French Governor (d. 1778)
- 1710 - Wilhelm Friedemann Bach, German composer (d. 1784)
- 1721 - Joseph Frederick Wallet DesBarres, Swiss-born Canadian statesman (d. 1824)
- 1722 - Hryhori Skovoroda, Ukrainian poet (d. 1794)
- 1767 - Andreas Hofer, Tyrolian patriot (d. 1810)
- 1787 - Rasmus Christian Rask, Danish linguist (d. 1823)
- 1808 - Thomas Cook, British travel entrepreneur (d. 1892)
- 1819 - George Eliot, British novelist (d. 1880)
- 1849 - Christian Rohlfs, German artist (d. 1938)
- 1852 - Paul-Henri-Benjamin d'Estournelles de Constant, French diplomat, Nobel laureate (d. 1924)
- 1856 - Heber J. Grant, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (d. 1945)
- 1868 - John Nance Garner, U.S. Vice President (d. 1967)
- 1869 - André Gide, French writer and Nobel laureate (d. 1951)
- 1877 - Endre Ady, Hungarian poet (d. 1919)
- 1884 - Syed Sulaiman Nadvi, Pakistani biographer of Muhammad (d. 1953)
- 1890 - Charles de Gaulle, President of France (d. 1970)
- 1893 - Harley J. Earl, automobile designer (d. 1969)
- 1897 - Paul Oswald Ahnert, German astronomer (d. 1989)
- 1898 - Wiley Post, American pilot (d. 1935)
- 1899 - Hoagy Carmichael, American composer (d. 1981)
- 1901 - Joaquin Rodrigo, Spanish composer (d. 1999)
- 1902 - Philippe Leclerc de Hauteclocque, French general (d. 1947)
- 1902 - Sir Humphrey Gibbs, Governor of Rhodesia (d. 1990)
- 1902 - Albert Leduc, National Hockey League defenseman (d. 1990)
- 1904 - Louis Eugène Félix Néel, French physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 2000)
- 1913 - Benjamin Britten, British composer (d. 1976)
- 1914 - Peter Townsend, British Equerry and air pilot (d. 1995)
- 1917 - Andrew Fielding Huxley, British scientist, Nobel laureate
- 1918 - Claiborne Pell, American politician
- 1921 - Rodney Dangerfield, American comedian (d. 2004)
- 1921 - Brian Cleeve, Irish broadcaster (d. 2003)
- 1923 - Dika Newlin, American composer and singer (d. 2006)
- 1923 - Arthur Hiller, Canadian film director
- 1923 - Gunther Schuller, American composer and conductor
- 1924 - Geraldine Page, American actress (d. 1987)
- 1926 - Lew Burdette, Baseball player
- 1932 - Robert Vaughn, American actor
- 1936 - James Burke, British writer
- 1939 - Tom West, American astrophysicist, computer engineer, inventor, yachtsman
- 1940 - Terry Gilliam, American/British comedian
- 1941 - Tom Conti, British actor
- 1941 - Jacques Laperriere, National Hockey League defenseman and coach
- 1943 - Billie Jean King, American tennis player
- 1943 - Yvan Cournoyer, National Hockey League player
- 1945 - Tom Freston, American television executive
- 1946 - Aston Barrett, Jamaican musician (The Wailers Band)
- 1947 - Valerie Wilson Wesley, American author
- 1949 - Richard Carmona, former surgeon general
- 1950 - Lyman Bostock, baseball player (d. 1978)
- 1950 - Steve Van Zandt, American musician
- 1950 - Tina Weymouth, American musician (Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club)
- 1950 - Paloma San Basilio, Spanish singer
- 1951 - Kent Nagano, American conductor
- 1958 - Jamie Lee Curtis, American actress
- 1958 - Lee Guetterman, baseball player
- 1958 - Horse McDonald, Scottish singer/songwriter
- 1960 - Bruce Payne, English actor
- 1960 - Léos Carax, French film director
- 1961 - Mariel Hemingway, American actress
- 1961 - Randal L. Schwartz, American computer programmer
- 1962 - Victor Pelevin, Russian writer
- 1963 - Scoop Jackson, American sports journalist
- 1965 - Mads Mikkelsen, Danish actor
- 1966 - Richard Stanley, South African director
- 1967 - Mark Ruffalo, American actor
- 1967 - Boris Becker, German tennis player
- 1967 - Bart Veldkamp, Dutch-born speed skater
- 1970 - Stel Pavlou, British novelist
- 1974 - David Pelletier, Canadian figure skater
- 1976 - Ville Valo, Finnish singer (HIM)
- 1976 - Torsten Frings, German footballer
- 1976 - Regina Halmich, Boxweltmeisterin
- 1977 - Michael Preston, English footballer
- 1977 - Luciana Duvall, Romanian actor/performer
- 1978 - Karen O, American singer (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
- 1979 - Chris Doran, Irish singer
- 1980 - Shawn Fanning, Creator of Napster
- 1981 - Seweryn Gancarczyk, Polish football player
- 1981 - Song Hye Kyo, South Korean model and actress (official birthday February 26, 1982)
- 1982 - Aiyegbeni Yakubu, Nigerian footballer
- 1982 - Charlene Choi Cheuk Yin, Hong Kong singer, member of the Cantopop girl group Twins
- 1983 - Tyler Hilton, American singer/songwriter and actor
- 1983 - Corey Beaulieu, American Guitarist (Trivium)
- 1984 - Scarlett Johansson, American actress
- 1986 - David Pasqualini, French pianist
- 1286 - Eric V of Denmark, Danish King (b. 1249)
- 1318 - Mikhail Yaroslavich, Russian prince (b. 1271)
- 1594 - Martin Frobisher, English explorer
- 1617 - Ahmed I, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1590)
- 1694 - John Tillotson, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1630)
- 1697 - Libéral Bruant, French architect
- 1710 - Bernardo Pasquini, Italian composer (b. 1637)
- 1718 - Blackbeard (Edward Teach), British pirate
- 1758 - Richard Edgcumbe, 1st Baron Edgcumbe, British politician (b. 1680)
- 1774 - Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, British general (b. 1725)
- 1783 - John Hanson, American Continental Congressman (b. 1715)
- 1794 - John Alsop, American Continental Congressman (b. 1724)
- 1875 - Henry Wilson, United States Vice President (b. 1812)
- 1886 - William Bliss Baker, American painter (b. 1859)
- 1900 - Arthur S. Sullivan, British composer (b. 1842)
- 1916 - Jack London, American writer (b. 1876)
- 1917 - Teoberto Maler, German-born explorer (b. 1842)
- 1919 - Francisco Moreno, Argentine explorer (b. 1852)
- 1932 - William Walker Atkinson, American author (b. 1862)
- 1943 - Lorenz Hart, American lyricist (b. 1895)
- 1944 - Arthur Stanley Eddington, English astrophysicist (b. 1882)
- 1946 - Otto Georg Thierack, German jurist (b. 1889)
- 1953 - Syed Sulaiman Nadvi, Pakistani religious scholar and biographer of Muhammad (b. 1884)
- 1955 - Shemp Howard, American actor (b. 1895)
- 1956 - Theodore Kosloff, Russian-born choreographer (b. 1882)
- 1963 - John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States (b. 1917)
- 1963 - C. S. Lewis, Irish author (b. 1898)
- 1963 - Aldous Huxley, British author (b. 1894)
- 1967 - Pavel Korin, Russian painter (b. 1892)
- 1980 - Norah McGuinness, Northern Irish painter (b. 1901)
- 1980 - Mae West, American actress and writer (b. 1893)
- 1980 - Jules Léger, Governor General of Canada (b. 1913)
- 1981 - Hans Adolf Krebs, German physician and biochemist, Nobel laureate (b. 1900)
- 1986 - Scatman Crothers, American actor (b. 1910)
- 1986 - William Bradford Huie, American writer (b. 1910)
- 1988 - Luis Barragán, Mexican architect (b. 1908)
- 1989 - Rene Moawad, President of Lebanon (b. 1925)
- 1989 - C.C. Beck, American Cartoonist (b. 1910)
- 1992 - Sterling Holloway, American voice actor (b. 1905)
- 1993 - Anthony Burgess, British author (b. 1917)
- 1996 - Mark Lenard, American actor (b. 1924)
- 1996 - María Casares, Spanish-born Frenh actress (b. 1922)
- 1997 - Michael Hutchence, Australian singer (b. 1960)
- 1998 - Stu Unger, Professional poker player (b. 1953)
- 2000 - Christian Marquand, French actor, director and screenwriter (b. 1927)
- 2000 - Emil Zátopek, Czech athlete (b. 1922)
- 2001 - Mary Kay Ash, American businesswoman, founded Mary Kay Cosmetics (b. 1915)
- 2005 - Bruce Hobbs, American jockey (b. 1920)
- 2006 - Holy Cross High School (Delran), Principal Joseph lemme placed on indefinite leave
 Holidays and observances
 External links
November 21 - November 23 - October 22 - December 22 -- listing of all days
nov:22 de novembre
an:22 de nobiembre
ast:22 de payares
ca:22 de novembre
es:22 de noviembre
eo:22-a de novembro
fur:22 di Novembar
gd:22 an t-Samhain
gl:22 de novembro
io:22 di novembro
ia:22 de novembre
nap:22 'e nuvembre
oc:22 de novembre
pt:22 de Novembro
scn:22 di nuvèmmiru
vi:22 tháng 11
vec:22 de novenbre
wa:22 d' nôvimbe