Learn more about July 1
July 1 is the 182nd day of the year (183rd in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 183 days remaining. It is the middle day of a leap year.
- 251 - The battle of Abrittus is won by Goths against Romans. Roman Emperors Decius and Herennius Etruscus are killed.
- 1097 - Battle of Dorylaeum: Crusaders under Bohemond of Taranto defeat a Seljuk army under Qilich Arslan I.
- 1690 - Battle of the Boyne as reckoned under Julian calendar.
- 1782 - American privateers attack Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
- 1858 - The joint reading of Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace's papers on evolution to the Linnean Society.
- 1862 - Russian State Library is founded.
- 1862 - American Civil War: The Battle of Malvern Hill takes place, the final battle in the Seven Days Campaign, part of the George McClellan's Peninsula Campaign.
- 1863 - American Civil War: the Battle of Gettysburg begins.
- 1867 - The British North America Act, 1867 takes effect as the Constitution of Canada, creating the Canadian Confederation; John A. Macdonald sworn as first Prime Minister.
- 1870 - The United States Department of Justice formally comes into existence.
- 1873 - Prince Edward Island joins the Canadian Confederation.
- 1878 - Canada joins the Universal Postal Union.
- 1881 - World's first international telephone call takes place between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, USA.
- 1881 - General Order 70, the culmination of the Cardwell-Childers reforms of the British Army's organisation, came into effect.
- 1885 - United States terminates reciprocity and fishery agreement with Canada.
- 1890 - Canada and Bermuda linked by telegraph cable.
- 1916 - First day on the Somme: On the first day of the Battle of the Somme 20,000 soldiers of the British Army are killed and 40,000 wounded.
- 1921 - Communist Party of China was founded.
- 1933 - Canadian Parliament suspends all Chinese immigration.
- 1935 - Regina, Saskatchewan police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police ambush strikers participating in On-to-Ottawa-Trek.
- 1942 - World War II: First Battle of El Alamein.
- 1943 - Tokyo City merged with Tokyo Prefecture and was dissolved. Since then, no city in Japan has had the name "Tokyo." (Present-day Tokyo is not a city.)
- 1948 - Quaid-i-Azam inaugrates Pakistan's central bank, the State Bank of Pakistan.
- 1957 - The International Geophysical Year begins (until December 31, 1958).
- 1958 - The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation links television broadcasting across Canada via microwave.
- 1958 - Flooding of the St. Lawrence Seaway begins.
- 1959 - The Party of the African Federation (PFA) holds its constitutive conference.
- 1960 - Independence of Somalia.
- 1962 - Independence of Rwanda.
- 1962 - Independence of Burundi.
- 1963 - ZIP Codes are introduced for United States mail.
- 1963 - The British Government admits that former diplomat Kim Philby had worked as a Soviet agent.
- 1963 - The Beatles release She Loves You as a single in the United Kingdom.
- 1966 - First colour television transmission in Canada, from Toronto.
- 1967 - The European Community is formally created out of a merger with the Common Market, the European Coal and Steel Community, and the European Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1968 - The CIA's Phoenix Program is officially established.
- 1968 - The Nuclear non-proliferation treaty signed by about sixty countries in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1968 - Formal separation of the United Auto Workers from the AFL-CIO.
- 1970 - President General Yahya Khan abolished One-Unit of West Pakistan restoring the provinces.
- 1972 - Andreas Baader, Jan-Carl Raspe and Holger Meins of the Red Army Faction are captured in Frankfurt after a shootout with the police.
- 1972 - First Gay Pride march in England
- 1976 - Portugal granted autonomy to Madeira.
- 1979 - Sony introduces the Walkman.
- 1980 - O Canada officially becomes the national anthem of Canada.
- 1983 - A North Korean Ilyushin Il-62M jet en route to Conakry Airport in Guinea crashes into the Fouta Djall Mountains in Guinea-Bissau, killing all 23 people on board.
- 1983 - Australian Broadcasting Commission become Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- 1987 - Excavation begins on the Channel Tunnel.
- 1988 - Bologna, Italy: Quartetto Cetra's last concert after over forty years' musical career.
- 1990 - East Germany accepts the Deutsche Mark as its currency, thus uniting the economies of East and West Germany.
- 1991 - The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved at a meeting in Prague.
- 1997 - The United Kingdom hands sovereignty over Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China.
- 1999 - The Scottish Parliament is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth on the day powers are officially transferred from the old Scottish Office in London to the new devolved Scottish Executive in Edinburgh.
- 2000 - Vermont's civil unions law goes into effect.
- 2000 - GST (Goods + Services Tax)introduced.
- 2000 - The Oresund Bridge, connecting Sweden and Denmark, opens for traffic.
- 2001 - Aliso Viejo officially becomes the 34th city in Orange County, California.
- 2002 - The International Criminal Court is established to prosecute individuals for genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression.
- 2002 - A Bashkirian Airlines (flight 2937) Tupolev TU-154 and a DHL (German cargo) Boeing 757 collide in mid-air over Ueberlingen, southern Germany, killing 71.
- 2003 - In Hong Kong, 500,000 people march to protest a new anti-subversion law.
- 2004 - In Hong Kong, 530,000 people march to urge a faster pace of democratisation and universal suffrage.
- 2004 - Saturn Orbit Insertion of Cassini-Huygens begins at 01:12 UT and ends at 02:48 UT.
- 2004 - Horst Köhler becomes the Federal President of Germany.
- 2005 - Revaluation of the Romanian Leu.
- 2006 - The first operation of Qinghai-Tibet Railway in the People's Republic of China.
- 2006 - Austria hands over Presidency of the European Union to Finland.
- 2007 - Europride Gay will be hosted by Madrid, Spain.
- 1481 - Christian II of Denmark, Sweden and Norway (d. 1559)
- 1506 - Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia (d. 1526)
- 1534 - Frederick II of Denmark (d. 1588)
- 1574 - Joseph Hall, English bishop and writer (d. 1656)
- 1586 - Claudio Saracini, Italian composer (d. 1630)
- 1633 - Johann Heinrich Heidegger, Swiss theologian (d. 1698)
- 1646 - Gottfried Leibniz, German mathematician (d. 1716)
- 1676 - Anthony Collins, English philosopher (d. 1729)
- 1723 - Pedro Rodríguez, Conde de Campomanes, Spanish statesman (d. 1802)
- 1725 - Comte de Rochambeau, French soldier (d. 1807)
- 1742 - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, German physicist (d. 1799)
- 1788 - Jean-Victor Poncelet, French mathematician (d. 1867)
- 1804 - George Sand, French writer (d. 1876)
- 1807 - Thomas Green Clemson, American university founder (d. 1888)
- 1818 - Ignaz Semmelweis, Hungarian physician (d. 1865)
- 1863 - William Grant Stairs, Canadian explorer (d. 1892)
- 1869 - William Strunk Jr., American grammarian (d. 1946)
- 1872 - Louis Blériot, French aviator (d. 1936)
- 1873 - Alice Guy-Blaché, American film director (d. 1968)
- 1879 - Léon Jouhaux, Nobel laureate (d. 1954)
- 1883 - Arthur Borton, English recipient of the Victoria Cross (d. 1933)
- 1899 - Thomas A. Dorsey, American gospel music composer (d. 1993)
- 1899 - Charles Laughton, English actor (d. 1962)
- 1902 - William Wyler, French-born film director (d. 1981)
- 1903 - Amy Johnson, English pilot (d. 1941)
- 1906 - Estée Lauder, American entrepreneur (d. 2004)
- 1906 - Jean Dieudonné, French mathematician (d. 1992)
- 1908 - Peg Entwistle, Welsh actress (d. 1932)
- 1909 - Bill Stern, American sportscaster (d. 1971)
- 1912 - David R. Brower, American environmentalist (d. 2000)
- 1912 - Sally Kirkland, American fashion editor (d. 1989)
- 1913 - Frank Barrett, Baseball player (d. 1998)
- 1915 - Willie Dixon, American musician (d. 1992)
- 1915 - Joseph Ransohoff, American neurosurgeon (d. 2001)
- 1916 - Olivia de Havilland, British-American actress
- 1917 - Humphry Osmond, British psychiatrist
- 1920 - Harold Sakata, Japanese-American actor (d. 1982)
- 1921 - Seretse Khama, first President of Botswana
- 1925 - Farley Granger, American actor
- 1926 - Robert Fogel, Nobel laureate
- 1926 - Hans Werner Henze, German composer
- 1926 - Carl Hahn, German automotive executive
- 1929 - Gerald Edelman, Nobel laureate
- 1930 - Bobby Day, American singer (d. 1990)
- 1930 - Moustapha Akkad, American filmmaker (d. 2005)
- 1931 - Leslie Caron, French actress
- 1934 - Jamie Farr, American actor
- 1934 - Jean Marsh, English actress
- 1934 - Sydney Pollack, American film director
- 1938 - Craig Anderson, American baseball player
- 1941 - Alfred G. Gilman, Nobel laureate
- 1941 - Myron Scholes, Nobel laureate
- 1941 - Twyla Tharp, American choreographer
- 1941 - Rod Gilbert, Canadian hockey player
- 1942 - Karen Black, American actress
- 1942 - Geneviève Bujold, Canadian actress
- 1942 - Andraé Crouch, American singer
- 1945 - Deborah Harry, American musician, (Blondie)
- 1946 - June Montiero, American singer (Toys)
- 1949 - John Farnham, Australian singer
- 1950 - John S. Chen, Hong Kong businessman
- 1951 - Fred Schneider, American singer (The B-52's)
- 1952 - Dan Aykroyd, Canadian actor
- 1961 - Kalpana Chawla, astronaut(d. 2003)
- 1961 - Diana, Princess of Wales, (d. 1997)
- 1961 - Carl Lewis, American athlete
- 1961 - Michelle Wright, Canadian musician
- 1961 - Malcolm Elliott, British cyclist
- 1963 - Roddy Bottum, American musician (Faith No More, Imperial Teen)
- 1965 - Harald Zwart, Norwegian film director
- 1967 - Pamela Anderson, Canadian model and actress
- 1968 - Tim Abell, American film and television actor
- 1971 - Missy Elliott, American singer
- 1971 - Julianne Nicholson, American actress
- 1972 - Alex Machacek, Austrian musician
- 1972 - Claire Forlani, American actress
- 1975 - Sufjan Stevens, American musician
- 1976 - Patrick Kluivert, Dutch footballer
- 1976 - Ruud van Nistelrooy, Dutch footballer
- 1977 - Jarome Iginla, Canadian hockey player
- 1977 - Liv Tyler, American actress
- 1981 - Tadhg Kennelly, Australian footballer
- 1982 - Adrian Ward, American football player
- 1982 - Carmella DeCesare, American model
- 1982 - Hilarie Burton, American actress
- 1983 - Marit Larsen, Norwegian musician
- 1984 - Morgane Dubled, French fashion model
- 251 - Decius, Roman Emperor (b. 207)
- 251 - Herennius Etruscus, Roman Emperor (b. ca. 227)
- 868 - Ali al-Hadi, Shia Imam (b. 828)
- 1109 - King Alfonso VI of Castile (b. 1040)
- 1277 - Baibars, Mameluk sultan of Egypt (b. 1223)
- 1592 - Marc Antonio Ingegneri, Italian composer
- 1614 - Isaac Casaubon, French-born classical scholar (b. 1559)
- 1622 - William Parker, 4th Baron Monteagle, British politician (b. 1575)
- 1681 - Oliver Plunkett, Irish saint (b. 1629)
- 1708 - Emperor Tekle Haymanot I of Ethiopia (b. 1706)
- 1774 - Henry Fox, 1st Baron Holland, English statesman (b. 1705)
- 1782 - Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1730)
- 1784 - Wilhelm Friedemann Bach, German composer (b. 1710)
- 1819 - Jemima Wilkinson, American preacher (b. 1752)
- 1860 - Charles Goodyear, American inventor (b. 1800)
- 1863 - John Fulton Reynolds, Union General, American Civil War (b. 1820)
- 1894 - Allan Pinkerton, American private detective (b. 1819)
- 1896 - Harriet Beecher Stowe, American author (b. 1811)
- 1925 - Erik Satie, French composer (b. 1866)
- 1944 - Tanya Savicheva, Russian diarist (b. 1930)
- 1948 - Achille Varzi, Italian race car driver (b. 1904)
- 1950 - Eliel Saarinen, Finnish architect (b. 1873)
- 1961 - Louis-Ferdinand Céline, French writer (b. 1894)
- 1964 - Pierre Monteux, French conductor (b. 1875)
- 1965 - Wally Hammond, English cricketer (b. 1903)
- 1971 - William Lawrence Bragg, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1890)
- 1974 - Juan Perón, President of Argentina (b. 1895)
- 1981 - Carlos de Oliveira, Portuguese writer (b. 1921)
- 1981 - Rushton Moreve, American bass player (b. 1948)
- 1983 - R. Buckminster Fuller, American architect and philosopher (b. 1903)
- 1984 - Moshe Feldenkrais, Ukrainian-born educator (b. 1904)
- 1991 - Michael Landon, American actor (b. 1936)
- 1992 - Francisco Mendes, Guinea-Bissauan politician (b. 1933)
- 1995 - Wolfman Jack, American radio personality (b. 1939)
- 1996 - William T. Cahill, Governor of New Jersey (b. 1904)
- 1997 - Robert Mitchum, American actor (b. 1917)
- 1999 - Edward Dmytryk, Canadian-born film director (b. 1908)
- 1999 - Guy Mitchell, American popular singer (b. 1927)
- 1999 - Forrest Mars Sr., American candy magnate (b. 1904)
- 1999 - Sylvia Sidney, American actress (b. 1910)
- 2000 - Walter Matthau, American actor (b. 1920)
- 2001 - Nikolay Basov, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1922)
- 2003 - Herbie Mann, American jazz flutist (b. 1930)
- 2003 - Wesley Mouzon, American boxer (b. 1927)
- 2003 - N!xau, Namibian actor (b. 1944)
- 2004 - Peter Barnes, English writer (b. 1931)
- 2004 - Marlon Brando, American actor (b. 1924)
- 2005 - Luther Vandross, American singer (b. 1951)
- 2005 - Obie Benson, American musician (b. 1936)
- 2006 - Fred Trueman English cricketer (b. 1931)
 Holidays and observances
 Liturgical feasts
- Saint Aaron
- Saint Calais, abbot of Ancille
- Saint Carileffus, priest [Chartres, Rouen, Tours, Durham]
- Saint Cybar, recluse
- Saint Domitian, abbot, confessor [Lyon]
- Saint Eparchius, priest at Angoulême, confessor [Angoulême, Saintes, Limoges]
- Saint Gaius, pope, martyr [Bamberg]
- Saint Gall, bishop of Clermont
- Saint Golvinus, bishop of Léon, confessor [St. Pol de Léon]
- Saint John the Baptist's Octave
- Saints Julius and Aaron, martyrs [BLS]
- Saint Leonore, bishop, confessor [Paris, as Lunaire]
- Saint Leontius, bishop of Autun, confessor
- Saint Oliver Plunkett, martyr
- Saint Rumbold, Rumold, or Rombout, bishop, martyr [Mechelen, Liège, Cambrai, Scotland]
- Saint Servanus, bishop, confessor [Scotland]
- Saint Simeon Salus
- Saint Theobald, priest, confessor [Mainz, Trier, Metz, Switzerland, France (Paris)]
- Saint Theoderic (Diederik, Thierry), abbot of Mont d'Hor, confessor
- Saint Esther
- Saint Monegundis, virgin [Liège]
- Saint Sophia, widow, and daughters Faith, Hope, and Charity, martyrs [Freising, Minden, Sitten]
 External links
June 30 - July 2 - June 1 - August 1 -- listing of all days
nov:1 de julieaf:1 Julie
an:1 de chulio
ast:1 de xunetu
ca:1 de juliol
co:1 di lugliu
es:1 de julio
eo:1-a de julio
fur:1 di Lui
gd:1 an t-Iuchar
gl:1 de xullo
io:1 di julio
ia:1 de julio
nap:1 'e luglio
oc:1 de julhet
pt:1 de Julho
scn:1 di giugnettu
vi:1 tháng 7
vec:1 de lujo
wa:1î d' djulete