Learn more about 1977
- For the album by Ash, see 1977 (album).
1977 (MCMLXXVII) was a common year starting on Saturday.
- May 3 - HMS Invincible is launched at Barrow-in-Furness by Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- May 5 - 1977 Silver Jubilee review of the British police at Hendon Police College by Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- May 7 - Pierre Elliot Trudeau does a pirouette behind the back of Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- May 7 - Marie Myriam wins the Eurovision Song Contest 1977 for France with her song L'oiseau et l'enfant ("The Bird and the Child").
- May 13 - The 1977 Silver Jubilee Air Fair is held at RAF Biggin Hill.
- May 14 - The 1977 IAS Cargo Boeing 707 airplane crash in Lusaka, Zambia kills all 6 on board.
- May 14 - In Milan, Italy, during a far-left demonstration, a hooded person shoots at the police, killing a policeman, Antonino Custrà. The scene is photographed and the picture  of the hooded man shooting in the middle of the street will appear in many magazines around the world.
- May 17 - The Likud Party, led by Menachem Begin, wins the elections in Israel.
- May 17 - Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom commences her 1977 Silver Jubilee tour in Glasgow.
- May 18 - Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visits Cumbernauld and Stirling.
- May 19 - Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visits Perth, Scotland and Dundee.
- May 23 - Scientists report using bacteria in a lab to make insulin.
- May 23 - Moluccan terrorists take over a school in Bovensmilde, northern Netherlands (105 hostages), and a passenger train in Bovensmilde-Assen route nearby (90 hostages) at the same time. On June 11, Dutch Royal Marines storm the train; 6 terrorists and 2 hostages are killed.
- May 23 - May 27 - Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visits Edinburgh.
- May 25 - Star Wars opens in cinemas (later renamed Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) and becomes a blockbuster hit.
- May 26 - George Willig climbs the South Tower of the World Trade Center.
- May 27 - Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom opens the new Air Terminal Building at Edinburgh Airport.
- May 27 - The 1977 Aeroflot Ilyushin 62 airplane crash in Cuba kills 69 people.
- May 28 - Climax of Windsor, Berkshire celebrations: Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visits the town during her 1977 Silver Jubilee tour.
- May 28 - In Southgate, Kentucky, the Beverly Hills Supper Club is engulfed in fire, killing 165 inside.
- May 29 - Indianapolis 500: A.J. Foyt becomes the first driver to win a (to date) record 4 times.
- May 30 - A 1977 Silver Jubilee gala performance is held at the Royal Opera House, London.
- June 5 - A coup takes place in Seychelles.
- June 5 - The first Apple II computers go on sale.
- June 6-June 9 - Jubilee celebrations are held in the United Kingdom to celebrate twenty-five years of Elizabeth II's reign.
- June 7 - After campaigning by Anita Bryant and her anti-gay "Save Our Children" crusade, Miami-Dade County, Florida voters overwhelmingly vote to repeal the county's gay rights ordinance, igniting a wave of violence against gays across the United States.
- June 10 - James Earl Ray escapes from Brushy Mountain State Prison in Petros, Tennessee (he is recaptured on June 13).
- June 15 - Spain has its first democratic elections, after 41 years under the Franco regime.
- June 20 - The Supreme Court of the United States rules that states are not required to spend Medicaid funds on elective abortions.
- June 20 - Anglia Television broadcasts the fake documentary "Alternative 3", which enters into the conspiracy theory canon.
- June 22 - Robert Hillsborough, a gay San Franciscan, is brutally stabbed to death just steps from his home by 4 youths.
- June 25 - American Roy Sullivan is struck by lightning for the 7th time.
- June 26 - Some 200,000 protesters march through the streets of San Francisco, protesting Anita Bryant's anti-gay remarks and Robert Hillsborough's murder.
 Unknown dates
- January 1 - Jerry Yan, Taiwanese actor and singer
- January 3 - Mayumi Iizuka, Japanese voice actress (seiyū)
- January 7 - Michelle Behennah, British model
- January 7 - John Gidding, American actor and architect
- January 7 - Dustin Diamond, American actor
- January 8 - Amber Benson, American actress
- January 13 - Orlando Bloom, British actor
- January 18- Curtis Cregan, American actor
- January 22 - Hidetoshi Nakata, Japanese footballer
- January 26 - Vince Carter, American basketball player
- January 28 - Lyle Overbay, American Baseball player
- January 28 - Daunte Culpepper, American football player
- January 28 - Joey Fatone, American musician
- January 31 - Mark Dutiaume, Canadian hockey player
- February 2 - Gavin DeGraw, American musician
- February 2 - Shakira, Colombian musician
- February 3 - Daddy Yankee, Puerto Rican musician
- February 5 - Ben Ainslie, British sailor
- February 8 - Bridgette Kerkove, American actress
- February 8 - Yucef Merhi, Venezuelan artist
- February 11 - Randy Moss, American football player
- February 11 - Mike Shinoda, American musician
- February 16 - Ian Clarke, Irish computer scientist
- February 18 - Sean Watkins, American guitarist and songwriter
- February 19 - Gianluca Zambrotta, Italian footballer
- February 20 - Stephon Marbury, American basketball player
- February 21 - Kevin Rose, American television host
- February 23 - Kristina Šmigun, Estonian skier
- March 1 - Rens Blom, Dutch athlete
- March 2 - Heather McComb, American actress
- March 3 - Ronan Keating, Irish singer
- March 4 - Jason Marsalis, American jazz musician
- March 5 - Wally Szczerbiak, Spanish-born basketball player
- March 7 - Mitja Zastrow, German-born swimmer
- March 8 - James Van Der Beek, American Actor
- March 10- Colin Murray, British radio disc jockey
- March 11 - Becky Hammon, American basketball player
- March 11 - Jason Greeley, Canadian singer
- March 16 - Ben Kenney, bassist of the US American alternative rock band Incubus
- March 18 - Zdeno Chara, Czechoslovakian ( now Slovakia) hockey player
- March 27 - Vitor Meira, Brazilian race car driver
- April 9 - Gerard Way, American singer (My Chemical Romance)
- April 14 - Sarah Michelle Gellar, American actress
- April 14 - Chandra Levy, American federal government intern (d. 2001)
- April 16 - Fredrik Ljungberg, Swedish footballer
- April 21 - Jamie Salé, Canadian figure skater
- April 23 - Mariusz Pudzianowski, Polish strongman
- April 23 - Andruw Jones, Antillean baseball player
- April 23 - John Cena, American professional wrestler
- April 24 - Carlos Beltrán, Puerto Rican baseball player
- April 24 - Siarhiej Bałachonaŭ, Belarusian writer
- April 26 - Jason Earles, American actor
- April 26 - Tom Welling, American actor
- May 10 - Nick Heidfeld, German race car driver
- May 12 - Graeme Dott, Scottish snooker player
- May 13 - Samantha Morton, British actress
- May 14 - Roy Halladay, American baseball player
- May 14 - Ada Nicodemou, Australian actress
- May 23 - Ilia Kulik, Russian figure skater
- May 26 - Misaki Ito, Japanese actress
- May 28 - Elisabeth Hasselbeck, American talkshow host
- May 30 - Rachael Stirling British actress
- May 31 - Joel Ross, British disc jockey
- May 31 - Debbie King, British television presenter
- June 1 - Danielle Harris, American voice actress
- June 7 - Marcin Baszczyński, Polish footballer
- June 8 - Kanye West, American rapper and record producer
- June 9 - Roopa Mishra, Indian civil servant
- June 9 - Peja Stojakovic, Serbian basketball player
- June 14 - Chris McAlister, American football player
- June 16 - Kerry Wood, baseball player
- June 19 - Peter Warrick, American football player
- June 20 - Stefán H. Ófeigsson, Icelandic engineer
- June 27 - Raúl, Spanish footballer
- June 27 - Arkadiusz Radomski, Polish footballer
- June 27 - Christopher Arnold, American painter
- July 1 - Jarome Iginla, Canadian hockey player
- July 1 - Liv Tyler, American actress
- July 8 - Milo Ventimiglia, American actor
- July 8 - Wang Zhizhi, Chinese basketball player
- July 11 - Edward Moss, American impersonator
- July 12 - Brock Lesnar, American professional wrestler
- July 14 - Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden
- July 15 - Ray Toro, American guitarist (My Chemical Romance)
- July 17 - M.I.A., English musician
- July 18 - David Straitjacket, English stunt performer
- July 26 - Rebecca St James, Australian-born musician
- July 27 - Martha Anne Madison, American actress
- July 28 - Emanuel Ginóbili, Argentine basketball player
- July 30 - Misty May-Treanor, American volleyball player
- July 31 - Tim Couch, American football player
- August 2 - Dave Farrel, American musician
- August 2 - Edward Furlong, American actor
- August 3 - Angela Beesley, British Internet entrepreneur
- August 3 - Tom Brady, American football player
- August 9 - Chamique Holdsclaw, American basketball player
- August 10 - Danny Griffin, Irish footballer
- August 12 - Plaxico Burress, American football player
- August 13 - Michael Klim, Australian swimmer
- August 15 - Nicole Paggi, American actress
- August 15 - Martin Biron, Canadian hockey
- August 15 - Igor Cassina, Italian gymnast
- August 17 - Thierry Henry, French footballer
- August 17 - Tarja Turunen, Finnish singer
- August 25 - Jonathan Togo, American actor
- August 26 - Morris Peterson, American basketball player
- August 27 - Deco, Portuguese footballer
- August 30 - Kamil Kosowski, Polish footballer
- August 31 - Jeff Hardy, American professional wrestler
- September 1 - Aaron Schobel, American football player
- September 11 - Ludacris, American rapper
- September 13 - Fiona Apple, American musician
- September 15 - Angela Aki, Japanese singer and songwriter
- September 20 - Namie Amuro, Japanese singer
- September 27 - Andrus Värnik, Estonian javelin thrower
- September 28 - Se Ri Pak, South Korean golfer
- September 30 - Roy Carroll, Irish footballer
- October 7 - Meighan Desmond, New Zealand actress
- October 11 - Claudia Palacios, Colombian journalist and newsreader
- October 12 - Bode Miller, American skiier
- October 14 - Kelly Schumacher, Canadian basketball player
- October 16 - John Mayer, American musician
- October 18 - Paul Stalteri, Canadian footballer
- October 25 - Birgit Prinz, German footballer
- October 29 - Brendan Fehr, Canadian actor
- November 1 - Alistair Griffin, British singer and songwriter
- November 2 - Randy Harrison, American actor
- November 3 - Aria Giovanni, American model and actress
- November 5 - Brittney Skye, American actress
- November 6 - Patrícia Tavares, Portuguese actress
- November 10 - Brittany Murphy, American actress
- November 13 - Chanel Cole, New Zealand-born singer
- November 14 - Obie Trice, American rapper
- November 16 - Oksana Baiul, Ukrainian figure skater
- November 17 - Ryk Neethling, South African swimmer
- November 19 - Kerri Strug, American gymnast
- November 21 - Jonas Jennings, American football player
- November 22 - Michael Preston, English footballer
- November 24 - Colin Hanks, American actor
- November 26 - Ivan Basso, Italian cyclist
- November 28 - DeMya Walker, American basketball player
- December 3 - Adam Małysz, Polish ski jumper
- December 6 - Paul McVeigh, Irish footballer
- December 7 - Fernando Vargas, American boxer
- December 8 - Ryan Newman, American race car driver
- December 10 - Emmanuelle Chriqui, Canadian actress
- December 11 - Peter Stringer, Irish rugby player
- December 12 - Dahm triplets:
- December 13 - Christopher Hudgens, American Painter
- December 13 - Ahmed al-Nami, Saudi Arabian hijacker (d. 2001)
- December 14 - KaDee Strickland, American actress
- December 23 - Alge Crumpler, American football player
- December 29 - Laveranues Coles, American football player
- December 30 - Laila Ali, American boxer
- December 30 - Kenyon Martin, American basketball player
- January 2 - Errol Garner, American musician (b. 1921)
- January 14 - Anthony Eden, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1897)
- January 14 - Peter Finch, English-born actor (b. 1916)
- January 14 - Anaïs Nin, French author (b. 1903)
- January 17 - Gary Gilmore, American murderer (executed) (b. 1940)
- January 19 - Yvonne Printemps, French singer and actress (b. 1895)
- January 21 - Sandro Penna, Italian poet (b. 1906)
- January 23 - Toots Shor, New York restaurateur (b. 1903)
- January 29 - Buster Nupen, South African cricketer (b. 1902)
- January 29 - Freddie Prinze, American actor and comedian (b. 1954)
- February 4 - Brett Halliday, American writer (b. 1904)
- February 11 - Louis Beel, Prime Minister of the Netherlands (b. 1902)
- February 16 - Rózsa Péter, Hungarian mathematician (b. 1905)
- February 27 - Allison Hayes, American actress (b. 1930)
- February 28 - Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson, American actor (b. 1905)
- March 4 - Andrés Caicedo, Colombian writer (b. 1951)
- March 5 - Tom Pryce, British Formula Race Car Driver (b. 1949)
- March 11 - Ulysses S. Grant IV, American geologist and paleontologist (b. 1893)
- March 16 - Kamal Jumblatt, leader of the Lebanese Druze (b. 1917)
- March 18 - Marien Ngouabi, President of The Republic of the Congo (assassinated) (b. 1938)
- March 22 - A.K. Gopalan, Indian communist leader (b. 1904)
- March 26 - Madeleine Dring, British composer and actress
- March 30 - Abdel Halim Hafez, Egyptian singer and actor (b. 1929)
- April 17 - William Cardinal Conway, Northern Irish clergyman (b. 1913)
- April 21 - Gummo Marx, American actor and comedian (b. 1892)
- May 5 - Ludwig Erhard, Chancellor of Germany (b. 1897)
- May 9 - James Jones, American writer (b. 1921)
- May 10 - Joan Crawford, American actress (b. 1905)
- June 2 - Stephen Boyd, Northern Irish actor (b. 1931)
- June 3 - Archibald Vivian Hill, English physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1886)
- June 16 - Werner von Braun, German-born rocket scientist (b. 1912)
- June 19 - Lady Olave Baden-Powell, English Chief Girl Guide (b. 1889)
- June 19 - Ali Shariati, Iranian sociologist (b. 1933)
- July 2 - Vladimir Nabokov, Russian-born writer (b. 1899)
- July 9 - Alice Paul, American women's rights activist (b. 1885)
- July 13 - Carl Gustav von Rosen, Swedish pilot (b. 1909)
- July 23 - Arsenio Erico, Paraguayan footballer (b. 1915)
- August 3 - Makarios III, Cypriot Archbishop and first President of Cyprus (b.1913)
- August 4 - Edgar Douglas Adrian, 1st Baron Adrian, English physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1889)
- August 14 - Ron Haydock, American actor, writer, and musician (b. 1940)
- August 16 - Elvis Presley, American singer and actor (b. 1935)
- August 19 - Groucho Marx, American actor and comedian (b. 1890)
- September 1 - Ethel Waters, American singer (b. 1896)
- September 6 - John Edensor Littlewood, British mathematician (b. 1885)
- September 12 - Steve Biko, South African activist (b. 1946)
- September 13 - Leopold Stokowski, English conductor (b. 1882)
- September 16 - Marc Bolan, English musician (b. 1947)
- September 16 - Maria Callas, American-born soprano (b. 1923)
- October 14 - Bing Crosby, American singer and actor (b. 1903)
- October 20 - Members of the American rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd killed in a plane crash:
- October 27 - Tony Hulman, American businessman and racetrack owner (b. 1901)
- November 5 - René Goscinny, French comic book writer (b. 1926)
- November 8 - Bucky Harris, baseball player (b. 1896)
- November 11 - Greta Keller, Austrian-born singer and actress (b. 1903)
- November 15 - Princess Charlotte of Monaco (b. 1898)
- November 25 - Tommy Prince, Canadian war hero (b. 1915)
- December 15 - Wilfred Kitching, General of The Salvation Army (b. 1893)
- December 19 - Jacques Tourneur, French director (b. 1904)
- December 24 - Samael Aun Weor, Columbian writer (b. 1917)
- December 25 - Charlie Chaplin, English-born comedian (b. 1889)
 Nobel prizes
 Ship events
ht:1977 (almanak gregoryen)