1928 Summer Olympics
Learn more about 1928 Summer Olympics
|Games of the IX Olympiad|
|Host city||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Athletes participating||3,014 (2,724 men, 290 women)|
|Events||109 in 14 sports|
|Opening ceremony||May 17, 1928|
|Closing ceremony||August 12, 1928|
|Officially opened by||Prince Hendrik|
|Athlete's Oath||Harry Dénis|
The 1928 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the IX Olympiad, were held in 1928 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Amsterdam had made a bid for the 1920 and 1924 Olympic Games, but had to give way to war-victim Belgium and De Coubertin's Paris before finally being awarded with the organisation. The only other candidate city was Los Angeles. Los Angeles hosted the Olympics four years later.
- For the first time, the Olympic Flame was lit during the Olympics. The torch relay, however, would not occur until the 1936 Summer Olympics.
- For the first time, the parade of nations started with Greece, which holds the origins of the Olympics, and ended with the host country, a tradition which continues today.
- Women's athletics and gymnastics debuted at these Olympic, in spite of criticism. Halina Konopacka of Poland became the first female Olympic track and field champion. The 800 m run ended with several of the competitors being completely exhausted. Because of this, running events longer than 200 m were not included in the Olympics until the 1960s.
- Johnny Weissmuller, who later appeared in several Tarzan movies, won three gold medals in swimming.
- Paavo Nurmi of Finland won his 9th gold medal by finishing first in the 10000 m.
- Canada's Percy Williams surprised everyone by winning both the 100 m and 200 m sprint events.
- South American football made a definite breakthrough, as Uruguay retained its title by defeating Argentina.
- India took its first ever gold in field hockey, the beginning of a winning streak which continued until 1956 with six gold medals won during the period.
- Is the first appearance of the sponsor Coca-Cola for the Olympic Games.
- These games were the first to bear the name "Summer Olympic Games".
 Medals awarded
See the medal winners, ordered by sport:
 Demonstration sports
 Participating nations
 Medal count
These are the top ten nations that won medals at these Games.
|1||Image:US flag 48 stars.svg United States||22||18||16||56|
|2||Image:Flag of Germany.svg Germany||10||7||14||31|
|3||Image:Flag of Finland (bordered).svg Finland||8||8||9||25|
|4||Image:Flag of Sweden.svg Sweden||7||6||12||25|
|5||Image:Flag of Italy (1861-1946).svg Italy||7||5||7||19|
|6||Image:Flag of Switzerland.svg Switzerland||7||4||4||15|
|7||Image:Flag of France.svg France||6||10||5||21|
|8||Image:Flag of the Netherlands.svg Netherlands (host nation)||6||9||4||19|
|9||Image:Flag of Hungary.svg Hungary||4||5||0||9|
|10||Image:Canadian Red Ensign 1921.svg Canada||4||4||7||15|
 See also
 External links
- IOC Site on 1928 Summer Olympics
- Louis S. Nixdorff, 1928 Olympic Games Collection, 1926-1978 Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution.
Olympic Games}"> |
| Sports • Medal counts • NOCs|
Medalists • Symbols
| Summer Games: 1896, 1900, 1904, 19061, 1908, 1912, (1916)2, 1920, 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936, (1940)2, (1944)2, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024|
|Winter Games: 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936, (1940)2, (1944)2, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022|
|Athens 2004 — Turin 2006 — Beijing 2008 — Vancouver 2010 — London 2012|
bs:IX. Olimpijske igre - Amsterdam 1928. da:Sommer-OL 1928 de:Olympische Sommerspiele 1928 et:1928. aasta suveolümpiamängud es:Juegos Olímpicos de Ámsterdam 1928 fr:Jeux Olympiques d'été de 1928 gl:Xogos Olímpicos de 1928 hr:IX. Olimpijske igre - Amsterdam 1928. it:IX Olimpiade he:אולימפיאדת אמסטרדם (1928) la:1928 Olympia Aestiva hu:1928. évi nyári olimpiai játékok nl:Olympische Zomerspelen 1928 ja:アムステルダムオリンピック no:Sommer-OL 1928 nn:Sommar-OL 1928 pl:Letnie Igrzyska Olimpijskie 1928 pt:Jogos Olímpicos de Verão de 1928 ro:Jocurile Olimpice de vară din 1928 ru:Летние Олимпийские игры 1928 sl:Poletne olimpijske igre 1928 sh:Olimpijada 1928 fi:Kesäolympialaiset 1928 sv:Olympiska sommarspelen 1928 zh:1928年夏季奥林匹克运动会