1924 Summer Olympics
Learn more about 1924 Summer Olympics
|Games of the VIII Olympiad|
|Host city||Paris, France|
|Athletes participating|| 3,089|
(2,954 men, 135 women)
|Events||126 in 17 sports|
|Opening ceremony||May 4, 1924|
|Closing ceremony||July 27, 1924|
|Officially opened by||President Gaston Doumergue|
|Athlete's Oath||Georges André|
|Stadium||Stade Olympique Yves-du-Manoir|
The 1924 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the VIII Olympiad, were held in 1924 in Paris, France. Paris was chosen to host the Games over bids of Amsterdam, Berlin, Los Angeles, Rio de Janeiro and Rome.
- The opening ceremony and several sporting events took place in the Olympic Stadium of Colombes (official name Stade olympique Yves-du-Manoir), which had a capacity of 45,000 in 1924.
- This VIII Olympiad was the last one organised under the presidency of Pierre de Coubertin.
- The "Flying Finns" dominated long distance running. Paavo Nurmi won the 1500 m and 5000 m (which were held with only an hour between them) and the cross country run (held in extremely hot weather). Ville Ritola won the 10000 m and the 3000 m steeplechase, while finishing second to Nurmi on the 5000 m and cross country. Albin Stenroos won the marathon, while the Finnish team (with Nurmi and Ritola) was victorious in the 3000 m and cross country team events.
- British runners Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell won gold medals in the 100 and 400 m, respectively. Their stories are depicted in the 1981 movie Chariots of Fire.
- The marathon distance was fixed at 42.195 km, from the distance run at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.
- Swimmer Johnny Weissmuller won three gold medals in swimming and one bronze in water polo.
- Fencer Roger Ducret of France won five medals, of which three were gold.
- The Olympic motto "Citius, Altius, Fortius" (Faster, Higher, Stronger), was used for the first time.
- Ireland was given formal recognition as an independent nation in the Olympic Movement in Paris in 1924 and it was at these games that Ireland made its first appearance in an Olympic Games as an independent nation.
- Originally called Semaine des Sports d'Hiver ("International Winter Sports Week") and held in association with the 1924 Summer Olympics, the sports competitions held in Chamonix between 25 January and 5 February 1924 were later designated by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the I Olympic Winter Games. (1924 Winter Olympics)
 Medals awarded
See the medal winners, ordered by sport:
 Participating nations
 Medal count
These are the top ten nations that won medals at these Games.
|1||Image:US flag 48 stars.svg United States||45||27||27||99|
|2||Image:Flag of Finland (bordered).svg Finland||14||13||10||37|
|3||Image:Flag of France.svg France (host nation)||13||15||10||38|
|4||Image:Flag of the United Kingdom.svg Great Britain||9||13||12||34|
|5||Image:Flag of Italy (1861-1946).svg Italy||8||3||5||16|
|6||Image:Flag of Switzerland.svg Switzerland||7||8||10||25|
|7||Image:Flag of Norway.svg Norway||5||2||3||10|
|8||Image:Flag of Sweden.svg Sweden||4||13||12||29|
|9||Image:Flag of the Netherlands.svg Netherlands||4||1||5||10|
|10||Image:Flag of Belgium (civil).svg Belgium||3||7||3||13|
 See also
 External links
- IOC Site on 1924 Summer Olympics
- 1924 medal winners - from CBS
- Picture of the Olympic Stadium of Colombes
- History of the Olympic Stadium (in French)
Olympic Games}"> |
| Sports • Medal counts • NOCs|
Medalists • Symbols
| Summer Games: 1896, 1900, 1904, 19061, 1908, 1912, (1916)2, 1920, 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936, (1940)2, (1944)2, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024|
|Winter Games: 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936, (1940)2, (1944)2, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022|
|Athens 2004 — Turin 2006 — Beijing 2008 — Vancouver 2010 — London 2012|
ar:ألعاب أولمبية صيفية 1924 bs:VIII. Olimpijske igre - Pariz 1924. da:Sommer-OL 1924 de:Olympische Sommerspiele 1924 et:1924. aasta suveolümpiamängud es:Juegos Olímpicos de París 1924 eo:Someraj Olimpikoj 1924 fr:Jeux Olympiques d'été de 1924 gl:Xogos Olímpicos de 1924 hr:VIII. Olimpijske igre - Pariz 1924. it:VIII Olimpiade he:אולימפיאדת פריז (1924) la:1924 Olympia Aestiva lb:Olympesch Summerspiller 1924 hu:1924. évi nyári olimpiai játékok nl:Olympische Zomerspelen 1924 ja:パリオリンピック (1924年) no:Sommer-OL 1924 nn:Sommar-OL 1924 pl:Letnie Igrzyska Olimpijskie 1924 pt:Jogos Olímpicos de Verão de 1924 ro:Jocurile Olimpice de vară din 1924 ru:Летние Олимпийские игры 1924 sl:Poletne olimpijske igre 1924 sh:Olimpijada 1924 fi:Kesäolympialaiset 1924 sv:Olympiska sommarspelen 1924 zh:1924年夏季奥林匹克运动会