Learn more about 1887
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s|
|Years:||1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890|
|1887 in topic:|
|Archaeology - Architecture - Art - Literature - Music|
|Australia - Canada - Mexico - South Africa - U.S. - UK|
|Rail Transport - Science - Sports|
|Lists of leaders|
|Colonial Governors - State leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
- January 6 - `Abd-allah II of Harar opens the Battle of Chelenqo with an attack on the camp of the Shewan army of Negus Menelik II early in the morning; prepared for the assault, the Negus orders a counter-attack which routs the enemy, resulting with the capture of Harar a few days later.
- January 20 - The United States Senate allows the Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- January 21
- January 26 - Battle of Dogali: Abyssinian troops defeat Italians
- January 28 - In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, USA, the largest snowflakes on record are reported. They are 15 inches (38cm) wide and 8 inches (20cm) thick.
- February 2 - In Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania the first Groundhog Day is observed.
- February 5 - The Giuseppe Verdi opera Otello premieres at La Scala
- February 23 - The French Riviera is hit by a large earthquake, killing around 2,000.
- February 26 - At the SCG, George Lohmann becomes the first bowler to take eight wickets in a Test innings.
- February 26 - William Frawley is born.
- March 3 - Anne Sullivan begins teaching Helen Keller
- March 4 - Gottlieb Daimler unveils his first automobile
- March 13 - Chester Greenwood patents earmuffs
- March 19 - Henry Cogswell College established by Henry D. Cogswell.
- April 4 - Argonia, Kansas elects Susanna M. Salter as the first female mayor in the United States.
- April 20 - George Bouton wins the world's first motor racing contest: he is the only participant.
- June 8 - Herman Hollerith receives a patent for his punch card calculator.
- June 18 - The Reinsurance Treaty is closed between Germany and Russia.
- June 21 - Britain celebrates a Golden Jubilee, marking the 50th year of Queen Victoria's reign. 
- June 23 - The Rocky Mountains Park Act becomes law in Canada, creating that nation's first national park, Banff National Park. 
- June 28 - Minot, North Dakota is incorporated as a city.
- July 26 - L. L. Zamenhof publishes "Dr. Esperanto's International Language".
- July 27 - Giuseppe Peano marries Carola Crosio
- November 3 - Associação Académica de Coimbra, students' union of the University of Coimbra in Portugal, was founded.
- November 10
- November 11 - August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer, George Engel, Louis Lingg, Michael Schwab, and Samuel Fielden hanged for inciting riot and murder in the Haymarket Riot of May 4, 1886.
- November 13 - Bloody Sunday, Police clash with pro-Irish independence protesters.
- December 25 - Glenfiddich single malt Scotch whisky first ran from the stills of Glenfiddich Distillery. The whisky is still produced today by William Grant & Sons.
 Unknown dates
- L. L. Zamenhof completes the creation of the initial version of Esperanto
- U.S. National Institutes of Health founded
- Teachers College, later part of Columbia University, is founded
- Thomas Stevens is 1st man to bicycle around the world
- Michelson-Morley experiment is performed
- Gramophone patented by Emile Berliner
- The New Gate is built in Jerusalem
- Comptometer patented by Dorr Eugene Felt
- The first All-Ireland Hurling and Football Finals are held
- Suez Canal is declared neutral
- Japan annexes Iwo Jima
- Zululand becomes a British colony
- Yellow river floods in China - 900,000 dead
- British nurses association organized
- Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn founded
- Spandau Prison in Berlin finished
- Portugal abolishes death penalty for murder
- Heinrich Hertz discovers electromagnetism
- US congress passes the Interstate Commerce Act
- Adolf Eugen Fick invents the contact lens
- Hibernian FC defeat Preston North End to become Undisputed Champions of the World through the dominece of these to teams in their respective countries.
- January 1 - Wilhelm Canaris, head of German military intelligence in World War II (d. 1945)
- January 3 - August Macke, German painter (d. 1914)
- January 19 - Alexander Woollcott, American intellectual (d. 1943)
- January 21 - Maude Davis, Oldest Person in the World (d. 2002)
- January 23 - Dorothy Payne Whitney, American-born philanthropist and social activist (d. 1968)
- January 28 - Arthur Rubinstein, Polish-born pianist and conductor (d. 1982)
- February 1 - Charles Nordhoff, English-born author (d. 1947)
- February 2 - Pat Sullivan, Australian director and producer of animated films (d. 1933)
- February 3 - Georg Trakl, Austrian poet (d. 1914)
- February 6 - Josef Frings, Archbishop of Cologne (d. 1978)
- February 10 - John Franklin Enders, American scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1985)
- February 11
- February 17 - Leevi Madetoja, Finnish composer (d. 1947)
- February 20 - Vincent Massey, Governor-General of Canada (d. 1967)
- February 26 - Grover Cleveland Alexander, baseball player (d. 1950)
- March 5 - Heitor Villa-Lobos, Brazilian composer (d. 1959)
- March 9 - Phil Mead, English cricketer (d. 1958)
- March 14 - Sylvia Beach, American publisher in Paris (d. 1952)
- March 22 - Chico Marx, American comedian and actor (d. 1961)
- March 23
- March 24 - Fatty Arbuckle, American actor (d. 1933)
- April 10 - Bernardo Houssay, Argentine physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1971)
- April 15 - Mike Brady, American golfer (d. 1972)
- May 2 - Eddie Collins, baseball player (d. 1951)
- May 5 - Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury (d. 1972)
- May 11 - Paul Wittgenstein, Austrian-born pianist (d. 1951)
- May 25 - Pio of Pietrelcina, Italian saint (d. 1968)
- May 26 - Paul Lukas, Hungarian-born actor (d. 1971)
- May 28 - Jim Thorpe, American athlete (d. 1953)
- May 31 - Saint-John Perse, French diplomat and writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1975)
- June 2 - Orrick Johns, American poet and playwright (d. 1946)
- June 22 - Julian Huxley, British biologist (d. 1975)
- June 25 - George Abbott, American playwright (d. 1995)
- July 7 - Marc Chagall, Russian-born painter (d. 1985)
- July 16 - Shoeless Joe Jackson, baseball player (d. 1951)
- July 18 - Vidkun Quisling, Norwegian politician and traitor (d. 1945)
- July 22 - Gustav Hertz, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1975)
- July 28 - Marcel Duchamp, French-born artist (d. 1968)
- July 29 - Sigmund Romberg, Hungarian-born composer (d. 1951)
- August 3 - Rupert Brooke, British war poet (d. 1915)
- August 12 - Erwin Schrödinger, Austrian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1961)
- August 13 - Julius Freed, American inventor and banker (d. 1952)
- August 15 - Edna Ferber, American novelist (d. 1968)
- August 17
- August 24 - Harry Hooper, baseball player (d. 1974)
- September 1 - Blaise Cendrars, Swiss writer (d. 1961)
- September 3 - Frank Christian, American jazz musician (d. 1973)
- September 13 - Lavoslav Ružička, Croatian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1976)
- September 16 - Nadia Boulanger, French composer and composition teacher (d. 1979)
- September 26 - Edwin Keppel Bennett, British writer (d. 1958)
- September 28 - Avery Brundage, American sports official (d. 1975)
- October 1 - Violet Jessop, RMS Titanic survivor (d. 1971)
- October 5 - René Cassin, French judge, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1976)
- October 6 - Le Corbusier, Swiss architect (d. 1965)
- October 8 - Huntley Gordon, Canadian-born actor (d. 1956)
- October 22 - John Reed, American journalist (d. 1920)
- October 31 - Chiang Kai-shek, Chinese Nationalist (d. 1975)
- November 1 - L. S. Lowry, English painter (d.1976)
- November 6 - Walter Johnson, baseball player (d. 1946)
- November 10 - Arnold Zweig, German writer (d. 1968)
- November 17 - Bernard Montgomery, World War II British commander (d. 1976)
- November 19 - James B. Sumner, American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1955)
- November 15 - Georgia O'Keeffe, American Woman Painter (d.1986
- December 12 - Kurt Atterberg, Swedish composer (d. 1974)
- December 22 - Srinivasa Aaiyangar Ramanujan, Indian mathematician (d. 1920)
 Month/day unknown
- Joseph H. Choate, Jr., American politician and philanthropist (d. 1968)
- Pauline Sabin, American activist for repeal of prohibition in U.S. (d. 1955)
- A.G. Edwards founded by General Albert Gallatin Edwards
- February 27 - Alexander Borodin, Russian composer (b. 1833)
- March 8 - Henry Ward Beecher, American clergyman and reformer (b. 1813)
- May 14 - Lysander Spooner, American philosopher and abolitionist (b. 1808)
- June 10 - Richard Lindon, Inventor of the Rugby Ball, the India-rubber inflatable bladder and the Brass Hand Pump for the same (b. 1816)
- July 8 - John Wright Oakes, Landscape painter (b. 1820)
- July 17 - Dorothea Dix, American social activist (b. 1802)
- July 25 - John Taylor, American religious leader (b. 1808)
- August 8 - Alexander William Doniphan, American lawyer and soldier (b. 1808)
- August 20 - Jules Laforgue, French poet (b. 1860)
- October 17 - Gustav Kirchhoff, German physicist (b. 1824)
- November 2 - Jenny Lind, Swedish soprano (b. 1820)
- November 8 - Doc Holliday, American gambler and gunfighter (b. 1851)
- November 19 - Emma Lazarus, American poet (b. 1859)
- December 5 - Eliza Roxcy Snow, American poet (b. 1804)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|
ar:1887 an:1887 ast:1887 az:1887 be:1887 bs:1887 br:1887 bg:1887 ca:1887 cv:1887 cs:1887 co:1887 cy:1887 da:1887 de:1887 et:1887 el:1887 es:1887 eo:1887 eu:1887 fr:1887 fy:1887 ga:1887 gd:1887 gl:1887 ko:1887년 hy:1887 hr:1887 io:1887 ilo:1887 id:1887 ia:1887 os:1887 is:1887 it:1887 he:1887 ka:1887 csb:1887 sw:1887 ht:1887 (almanak gregoryen) la:1887 lb:1887 lt:1887 jbo:1887moi nanca lmo:1887 hu:1887 mk:1887 ms:1887 nl:1887 ja:1887年 nap:1887 no:1887 nn:1887 nrm:1887 nov:1887 oc:1887 nds:1887 pl:1887 pt:1887 ksh:Joohr 1887 ro:1887 ru:1887 год sq:1887 ru-sib:1887 scn:1887 simple:1887 sk:1887 sl:1887 sr:1887 fi:1887 sv:1887 tt:1887 te:1887 th:พ.ศ. 2430 tr:1887 uk:1887 uz:1887 vec:1887 wa:1887 zh:1887年