17th century BC
Learn more about 17th century BC
|Centuries:||18th century BC - 17th century BC - 16th century BC|
|Decades:||1690s BC 1680s 1670s 1660s 1650s 1640s 1630s 1620s 1610s 1600s BC|
|17th century BC by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Architecture - Art - Literature - Music - Science|
|State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Births - Deaths - Sports|
|China - Egypt|
- 1700 – 1500 BC -- Hurrian conquests.
- c. 1700 BC - The last species of mammoth became extinct on Wrangel Island.
- 1700 BC - Belu-bani became the King of Assyria.
- c. 1700 BC - beginning of the Late Minoan period on Crete
- c. 1700 BC - Lila-Ir-Tash started to rule the Elamite Empire.
- c. 1698 BC - Lila-Ir-Tash the ruler of the Elamite Empire died. Temti-Agun I started to rule the Elamite Empire.
- 1691 BC - Belu-bani, the King of Assyria died.
- c. 1690 BC - Temti-Agun I, the ruler of the Elamite Empire, died. Tan-Uli started to rule the Elamite Empire.
- 1690 BC - Libaia became the King of Assyria.
- 1680s BC - Egypt: Start of Sixteenth Dynasty.
- 1680s BC - Egypt: Development of leavened bread (date approximate).
- 1670s BC - Egypt: Start of Fifteenth Dynasty.
- 1673 BC - Sharma-Adad I became the King of Assyria.
- 1661 BC - Iptar-Sin became the King of Assyria.
- 1650s BC - Egypt: Start of Seventeenth Dynasty.
- c. 1655 BC - Tan-Uli, the ruler of the Elamite Empire, died.
- 1649 BC - Bazaia became the King of Assyria.
- 1645 BC - Possible date for the eruption at Santorini, in the Aegean Sea, contributing to the demise of Minoan civilization (the date is suggested by 1990s Greenland ice coring).
- 1633 BC -- End of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth dynasties of Egypt, start of the Fifteenth dynasty.
- 1628 BC -- Possible date of the volcanic eruption on Santorini which possibly affected the fate of Minoan civilization.
- 1625 BC - Samsu-Ditana becomes King of Babylon (middle chronology).
- 1621 BC - Lullaia becomes the King of Assyria.
- 1620 BC - Mursili I becomes King of the Hittite Empire (middle chronology).
- 1615 BC - Shu-Ninua became the King of Assyria.
- 1601 BC - Sharma-Adad II became the King of Assyria.
- 1600s BC - Egypt: End of Fourteenth Dynasty.
- 1600s BC - The creation of one of the oldest surviving astronomical documents, a copy of which was found in the Babylonian library of Ashurbanipal: a 21-year record of the appearances of Venus (which the early Babylonians called Nindaranna).
- 1600s BC - The end of the Indus Valley civilization.
- 1600s BC - The overthrow of the ruling Amorite dynasty in Aleppo, Syria.
- 1600s BC - The date of the earliest discovered rubber balls.
- 1600s BC - Egypt conquered by Asian tribes known as the Hyksos - see History of ancient Israel and Judah.
- Unetice culture
- Development of leavened bread in Egypt.
- Development of the windmill in Persia.
 Significant persons
- Hammurabi, died 1686 BC short chronology.
- 1684 BC - Death of Heremon, Irish legend.
- 1637 BC - Death of Abraham according to Jewish calculations. (2,123 years after biblical creation)
- Jie , The last ruler of Xia Dynasty, ruled China for 52 years until 1600 BC according to the Xia Shang Zhou Chronology Project.
|4th BC:||40th BC||39th BC||38th BC||37th BC||36th BC||35th BC||34th BC||33rd BC||32nd BC||31st BC|
|3rd BC:||30th BC||29th BC||28th BC||27th BC||26th BC||25th BC||24th BC||23rd BC||22nd BC||21st BC|
|2nd BC:||20th BC||19th BC||18th BC||17th BC||16th BC||15th BC||14th BC||13th BC||12th BC||11th BC|
|1st BC:||10th BC||9th BC||8th BC||7th BC||6th BC||5th BC||4th BC||3rd BC||2nd BC||1st BC|
ca:Segle XVII aC cs:17. století př. n. l. de:17. Jahrhundert v. Chr. es:Siglo XVII adC eu:K. a. XVII. mendea fr:XVIIe siècle av. J.-C. ko:기원전 17세기 he:המאה ה-17 לפנה"ס ka:ძვ. წ. XVII საუკუნე hu:I. e. 17. század nl:17e eeuw v. Chr. ja:紀元前17世紀 pl:XVII wiek p.n.e. pt:Século XVII a.C. sk:17. storočie pred Kr. sr:17. век пне. fi:1600-luku eaa. sv:1600-talet f.Kr. tt:MA 17. yöz zh:前17世纪