Learn more about 1774
1774 was a common year starting on Saturday (see link for calendar).
March 31 - American Revolutionary War: The Kingdom of Great Britain orders the port of Boston, Massachusetts closed in the Boston Port Act.
- October 14 - Document Congress in America Adpoted-Decloration and Resolves.
- January 21 - Mustafa III, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1717)
- February 4 - Charles Marie de La Condamine, French mathematician and geographer (b. 1701)
- April 4 - Oliver Goldsmith, English writer (b. 1730)
- May 4 - Anthony Ulrich II, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (b. 1714)
- May 10 - King Louis XV of France (b. 1710)
- July 1 - Henry Fox, 1st Baron Holland, English statesman (b. 1705)
- July 11 - Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet, Irish-born New York pioneer
- July 14 - James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley and Kilmaine, British field marshal (b. 1682)
- August 11 - Tiphaigne de la Roche, French writer (b. 1722)
- August 14 - Johann Jakob Reiske, German scholar and physician (b. 1716)
- August 25 - Niccolò Jommelli, Italian composer (b. 1714)
- September 22 - Pope Clement XIV (b. 1705)
- September 25 - John Bradstreet, Canadian-born soldier (b. 1714)
- October 23 - Michel Benoist, French Jesuit missionary and scientist (b. 1715)
- November 22 - Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, British general and statesman (b. 1725)
- December 2 - Johann Friedrich Agricola, German composer (b. 1720)
- December 16 - François Quesnay, French economist (b. 1694)
ht:1774 (almanak gregoryen)