16th century BC
Learn more about 16th century BC
|Centuries:||17th century BC - 16th century BC - 15th century BC|
|Decades:||1590s BC 1580s 1570s 1560s 1550s 1540s 1530s 1520s 1510s 1500s BC|
- 1600 BC* — Shang Dynasty of China established.
- 1595 BC - Sack of Babylon by the Hittite king Mursilis I.
- 1567 BC - Egypt: End of Fifteenth Dynasty, end of Sixteenth Dynasty, end of Seventeenth Dynasty, start of Eighteenth Dynasty.
- 1550s BC - The city of Mycenae, located in the northeast Peloponnesus, comes to dominate the rest of Achaea, giving its name to Mycenaean civilization.
- 1556 BC - Cecrops builds or rebuilds Athens following the great flood of Deucalion and the end of the Golden age. He becomes the first of several Kings of Athens whose life account is considered part of Greek mythology.
- 1550 BC - End of Seventeenth dynasty of Egypt, start of the Eighteenth Dynasty upon the coronation of Ahmose I (Low Chronology).
- 1530 BC - End of the First Dynasty of Babylon and the start of the Kassite Dynasty - see History of Iraq.
- 1525 BC - End of Fifteenth dynasty of Egypt.
- 1512 BC (approx.): the flood of Deucalion, according to O'Flaherty, Augustine, Eusebius, and Isidore (bishop of Seville).
- 1506 BC - Cecrops, legendary King of Athens, dies after a reign of 50 years. Having survived his own son, he is succeeded by Cranaus.
- 1504 BC - Egypt started to conquer Nubia and the Levant.
- 1500s BC - The element Mercury has been discovered in Egyptian tombs dating from this decade.
- 1500s BC - Settlers from Crete, Greece move to Miletus, Turkey.
- 1500s BC - Early traces of Maya civilization developing in Belize.
- 1500s BC - The Phoenicians develop an alphabet - see Timeline of communication technology.
- 1500s BC - Earliest evidence (from archaeological excavations) of a settlement at Aylesbury, England<ref>http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/Aylesbury</ref>.
- 1500 BC - Indo-Aryan migration is often dated to the 17th to 16th centuries. Many scholars date early parts of the Rig Veda to roughly the 16th century.
- Unetice culture.
 Significant persons
- King Cheng Tang of Shang of China, first ruler of Shang Dynasty, ruled China for 29 years since 1600 BC according to the Xia Shang Zhou Chronology Project.
- Kamose, last Pharaoh of the 17th Dynasty of Egypt (1575 or 1573 - 1550 BC).
- Ahmose I, Pharaoh and founder of the 18th Dynasty of Egypt (1550 - 1525 BC).
|4th BC:||40th BC||39th BC||38th BC||37th BC||36th BC||35th BC||34th BC||33rd BC||32nd BC||31st BC|
|3rd BC:||30th BC||29th BC||28th BC||27th BC||26th BC||25th BC||24th BC||23rd BC||22nd BC||21st BC|
|2nd BC:||20th BC||19th BC||18th BC||17th BC||16th BC||15th BC||14th BC||13th BC||12th BC||11th BC|
|1st BC:||10th BC||9th BC||8th BC||7th BC||6th BC||5th BC||4th BC||3rd BC||2nd BC||1st BC|
ca:Segle XVI aC cs:16. století př. n. l. de:16. Jahrhundert v. Chr. es:Siglo XVI adC eu:K. a. XVI. mendea fr:XVIe siècle av. J.-C. ko:기원전 16세기 is:16. öldin f.Kr. he:המאה ה-16 לפנה"ס ka:ძვ. წ. XVI საუკუნე hu:I. e. 16. század nl:16e eeuw v. Chr. ja:紀元前16世紀 pl:XVI wiek p.n.e. pt:Século XVI a.C. sk:16. storočie pred Kr. sr:16. век пне. fi:1500-luku eaa. sv:1500-talet f.Kr. tt:MA 16. yöz zh:前16世纪