Learn more about 1666
1663 1664 1665 - 1666 - 1667 1668 1669
| Decades: |
1630s 1640s 1650s - 1660s - 1670s 1680s 1690s
| Centuries: |
16th century - 17th century - 18th century
1666 (MDCLXVI) was a common year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Monday of the 10-day slower Julian calendar). Often called Annus Mirabilis, this is the year talked about by the poem Annus Mirabilis. This year also saw a great advance in mathematics and physics by Isaac Newton. The year is also known for having all the Roman numerals used in order from biggest to smallest value.
- August 5 - English fleet beats Dutch under Michiel de Ruyter.
- September 2 - Great Fire of London: A large fire breaks out in London in the house of Charles II's baker on Pudding Lane near London Bridge. The fire burns for three days destroying 10,000 buildings including St. Paul's Cathedral, but only 16 people are known to have died.
- September 5 - Great Fire of London ends.
- Sir Isaac Newton uses a prism to split sunlight into its component colors, which helped us understand the nature of light more comprehensively. (See optical spectrum).
- Lund University founded in Lund, Sweden.
- Jean Talon completes a census of New France, the first census in North America.
- Louis XIV founds the French Academy of Sciences.
- February 9 - George Hamilton, 1st Earl of Orkney, British soldier (d. 1737)
- March 15 - George Bähr, German architect (d. 1738)
- May 14 - Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia (d. 1732)
- July 10 - John Ernest Grabe, German-born Anglican theologian (d. 1711)
- August 13 - William Wotton, English scholar (d. 1727)
- September 6 - Tsar Ivan V of Russia (d. 1696)
- December 22 - Guru Gobind Singh (d. 1708)
- Arthur Chichester, 3rd Earl of Donegall (d. 1706)
- John Quelch - English pirate (d. 1704)
- Thomas Parker, 1st Earl of Macclesfield (d. 1732)
- January 20 - Anne of Austria, queen of Louis XIII of France and regent (born 1601)
- January 22 - Shah Jahan, Mughal Emperor of India (born 1592)
- January 24 - Johann Andreas Herbst, German composer (born 1588)
- February 24 - Nicholas Lanier, English composer (born 1588)
- June 30 - Alexander Brome, English poet (born 1620)
- July 5 - Albert VI of Bavaria (born 1584)
- August 15 - Johann Adam Schall von Bell, German Jesuit missionary (born 1591)
- August 26 - Frans Hals, Dutch painter (born 1580)
- October 29 - Edmund Calamy the Elder, English Presbyterian leader (born 1600)
- October 29 - James Shirley, English dramatist (born 1596)
- Giovanni Francesco Barbieri, Italian painter (born 1591)
- Sir William Clarke, British politician
- Sir Richard Fanshawe, British diplomat and translator (born 1608)
- Philip Fruytiers, Flemish painter (born 1627)
- James Howell, British writer (born c.1594)af:1666
ar:1666 an:1666 ast:1666 be:1666 bpy:মারি ১৬৬৬ bs:1666 br:1666 bg:1666 ca:1666 cv:1666 cs:1666 co:1666 cy:1666 da:1666 de:1666 et:1666 el:1666 es:1666 eo:1666 eu:1666 fr:1666 fy:1666 gd:1666 gl:1666 ko:1666년 hy:1666 hr:1666 io:1666 id:1666 os:1666 is:1666 it:1666 he:1666 ka:1666 sw:1666 ht:1666 (almanak gregoryen) la:1666 lb:1666 lmo:1666 hu:1666 mk:1666 ms:1666 nl:1666 ja:1666年 nap:1666 no:1666 nn:1666 nrm:1666 nov:1666 oc:1666 nds:1666 pl:1666 pt:1666 ksh:Joohr 1666 ro:1666 ru:1666 год sq:1666 ru-sib:1666 scn:1666 simple:1666 sk:1666 sl:1666 sr:1666 fi:1666 sv:1666 tt:1666 tr:1666 uk:1666 uz:1666 vec:1666 zh:1666年