Learn more about 1605
1602 1603 1604 - 1605 - 1606 1607 1608
| Decades: |
1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
| Centuries: |
16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- April 1 - Pope Leo XI succeeds Pope Clement VIII as the 230th pope.
- April 13 - Tsar Boris Godunow dies - Feodor II accedes to the throne.
- May 16 - Pope Paul V succeeds Pope Leo XI as the 231st pope.
- June 1 - Russian troops in Moscow imprison Feodor II and his mother. They are later executed.
- June 20 - Pretender Dmitri and his supporters march to Moscow. He is crowned the next day.
- July 30 - Pretender Dmitri is crowned officially tsar Dmitri II.
- September 27 - Swedish armies defeated by the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the Battle of Kircholm
- October 27 - Spanish troops of General Spinola occupy Wachtendonk
- November 5 - Gunpowder Plot: A plot by to blow up the English Houses of Parliament is foiled when Sir Thomas Knyvet, a justice of the peace, finds Guy Fawkes in a cellar below the Parliament building and orders a search of the area. Records show 36 barrels (1800 weight each, total 1 metric tonne) of gunpowder were found and Fawkes was arrested for trying to kill King James I of England and the members who were scheduled to sit together in Parliament the next day.
- Polish troops occupy Moscow
- The first part of Miguel de Cervantes's Don Quixote is published.
- Pope Leo XI is elected, but dies before the year is out.
- Tokugawa Ieyasu abdicates as shogun of Japan, becoming Ogosho. His son Tokugawa Hidetada succeeds him to the office.
- English colony founded on Barbados
- French Huguenot refugees settle in Dublin and Waterford
- De Nieuwe Tijdinghen, Dutch proto-newspaper
- Francis Bacon, Of the Proficience and Advancement of Learning, Divine and Humane.
- April 8 - King Philip IV of Spain (died 1665)
- April 18 - Giacomo Carissimi, Italian composer (died 1674)
- July 29 - Simon Dach, Prussian lyrical poet and writer of hymns (died 1659)
- August 8 - Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, colonial Governor of Maryland (died 1675)
- August 18 - Henry Hammond, English churchman (died 1660)
- September 12 - William Dugdale, English antiquary (died 1686)
- September 28 - Ismael Bullialdus, French astronomer (died 1694)
- October 19 - Sir Thomas Browne English physician and philosopher (died 1682)
- William Berkeley, governor of Virginia (died 1677)
- Frédéric Maurice de La Tour d'Auvergne, duc de Bouillon, prince of the independent principality of Sedan (died 1652)
- Adriaen Brouwer, Flemish painter (died 1638)
- Tianqi Emperor, Ming emperor of China (died 1627)
- John Gauden, English bishop and writer (died 1662)
- William Goffe, English parliamentarian (died 1679)
- William Habington, English poet (died 1654)
- Nectarius of Jerusalem, Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem (died 1680)
- Dominik Aleksander Kazanowski, Polish nobleman (died 1648)
- Hans Christoff von Königsmarck, Swedish-German soldier (died 1663)
- Thomas Nabbes, English dramatist (died c1645)
- Patriarch Nikon, Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church (died 1681)
- Afanasy Ordin-Nashchokin, Russian statesman (died 1680)
- Thomas Randolph, English poet and dramatist (died 1635)
- Brynjólfur Sveinsson, Icelandic bishop and scholar (died 1675)
- Jean-Baptiste Tavernier, French traveller and pioneer of trade with India (died 1689)
- Bulstrode Whitelocke, English lawyer and parliamentarian (died 1675)
- Francis Willoughby, 5th Baron Willoughby of Parham (died 1666)
See also Category:1605 births.
- February 19 - Orazio Vecchi, Italian composer (born 1550)
- March 5 - Pope Clement VIII (born 1536)
- April 5 - Adam Loftus, English Catholic archbishop (born c1533)
- April 6 - John Stow, English historian and antiquarian (born 1525)
- April 13 - Boris Godunov, Tsar of Russia (born 1551)
- April 27 - Pope Leo XI (born 1535)
- September 14 - Jan Tarnowski, Archbishop of Krakow (b. 1550)
- September 23 - Pontus de Tyard, French poet (born c1521)
- September 24 - Manuel Mendes, Portuguese composer (born 1547)
- October 13 - Theodore Beza, French theologian (born 1519)
- October 15 - Akbar, Mogul Emperor (born 1542)
- November 8 - Robert Catesby, English conspirator (born 1573)
- November 10 - Ulissi Aldrovandi, Italian naturalist (born 1522)
- John Davis, English explorer (born 1550)
- Tsar Feodor II of Russia (born 1589)
- Marek Sobieski, Polish nobleman (born 1549)
- Francis Tresham, English conspirator (born 1567)
- Thomas Tresham, English politician
- Jan Zamoyski, Polish nobleman (born 1542)
See also Category:1605 deaths.af:1605 ar:1605 an:1605 ast:1605 be:1605 bpy:মারি ১৬০৫ bs:1605 br:1605 bg:1605 ca:1605 cv:1605 cs:1605 co:1605 cy:1605 da:1605 de:1605 et:1605 el:1605 es:1605 eo:1605 eu:1605 fr:1605 ga:1605 gd:1605 gl:1605 ko:1605년 hy:1605 hr:1605 io:1605 id:1605 os:1605 is:1605 it:1605 he:1605 ka:1605 ht:1605 (almanak gregoryen) lb:1605 lmo:1605 hu:1605 mk:1605 ms:1605 nl:1605 ja:1605年 nap:1605 no:1605 nn:1605 nrm:1605 nov:1605 oc:1605 pl:1605 pt:1605 ksh:Joohr 1605 ro:1605 ru:1605 год sq:1605 ru-sib:1605 scn:1605 simple:1605 sk:1605 sl:1605 sr:1605 fi:1605 sv:1605 tt:1605 tr:1605 uk:1605 uz:1605 vec:1605 zh:1605年