Learn more about October 13
(Redirected from 13 October
October 13 is the 286th day of the year (287th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 79 days remaining in the year on this date.
- 1282 - Nichiren Daishonin, founder of the Nichiren School of Buddhism, dies. His ashes are interred at Taisekiji Temple.
- 1307 - Hundreds of Knights Templar in France are simultaneously arrested by agents of Phillip the Fair, to be later tortured into "admitting" heresy.
- 1582 - Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1775 - The United States Continental Congress orders the establishment of the Continental Navy (later renamed the United States Navy).
- 1792 - In Washington, DC, the cornerstone of the United States Executive Mansion (known as the White House since 1818) is laid.
- 1812 - War of 1812: Battle of Queenston Heights - As part of the Niagara campaign in Ontario, Canada, United States forces under General Stephen Van Rensselaer are repulsed from invading Canada by British and native troops led by Sir Isaac Brock.
- 1843 - In New York City, Henry Jones and 11 others found B'nai B'rith (the oldest Jewish service organization in the world).
- 1845 - A majority of voters in the Republic of Texas approve a proposed constitution, that if accepted by the U.S. Congress, will make Texas a U.S. state.
- 1870 - The Kappa Kappa Gamma fraternity is founded at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois, by six pioneering women.
- 1890 - The Delta Chi Fraternity is founded by 11 law students at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
- 1892 - Edward Emerson Barnard discovers D/1892 T1 (Barnard 3), the first comet discovered by photographic means, on the night of October 13-14.
- 1917 - The "Miracle of the Sun" is witnessed by an estimated 70,000 persons in the Cova da Iria in Fatima, Portugal.
- 1918 - Mehmed Talat Pasha and the Young Turk (C.U.P.) ministry resign and sign an armistice, ending Ottoman participation in World War I
- 1923 - Ankara replaces Istanbul as the capital of Turkey.
- 1943 - World War II: The new government of Italy sides with the Allies and declares war on Germany.
- 1944 - World War II: Riga, the capital of Latvia is taken over by the Red Army
- 1946 - France adopts the constitution of the Fourth Republic.
- 1958 - Burial of Eugenio Pacelli, Pope Pius XII on the 41st anniversary of the "Miracle of the Sun".
- 1960 - 1960 World Series: Baseballer Bill Mazeroski becomes the first person to end a World Series with a home run.
- 1962 - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? opens on Broadway.
- 1965- The British rock band The Who first records their hit, My Generation.
- 1972 - An Aeroflot Ilyushin Il-62 crashed outside Moscow killing 176.
- 1972- Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 crashes in the Andes mountains, in between the borders of Argentina and Chile. By December 23, 1972 all 16 survivors were rescued.
- 1973 - The British progressive rock band Family perform their last concert at Leicester Polytechnic in Leicester, England, prior to their disbandment.
- 1976 - A Bolivian Boeing 707 cargo jet crashes in Santa Cruz, Bolivia killing 100 (97, mostly children, killed on the ground)
- 1976 - The first electron micrograph of an Ebola viral particle was obtained by Dr. F.A. Murphy, now at U.C. Davis, who was then working at the C.D.C..
- 1977 - Four Palestinians hijack Lufthansa Flight 181 to Somalia and demand release of 11 members of the Red Army Faction.
- 1983 - Ameritech Mobile Communications (now Cingular) launched the first US cellular network in Chicago.
- 1988 - Kristina H. ,the great czech dramatist was born in Prague,Czech Republic.
- 1999 - The United States Senate rejects ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT).
- 2003 - The Public Library of Science commences publication of an open access scientific journal, PLoS Biology.
- 2006 - The Columbus Day Storm of 2006 drops over a foot of snow over the Great Lakes region. At least 400,000 people in Buffalo, NY alone were without power.
- 709 - Emperor Kōnin Japan (d. 781)
- 1162 - Leonora of England, wife of Alfonso VIII of Castile (d. 1214)
- 1381 - Thomas FitzAlan, 12th Earl of Arundel, English politician (d. 1415)
- 1453 - Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales (d. 1471)
- 1474 - Mariotto Albertinelli, Italian painter (d. 1515)
- 1566 - Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork, Irish politician (d. 1643)
- 1696 - John Hervey, Lord Hervey, English statesman and writer (d. 1743)
- 1713 - Allan Ramsay, Scottish painter (d. 1784)
- 1714 - Pieter Burmann the Younger, Dutch philologist (d. 1778)
- 1821 - Rudolf Virchow, German physician, pathologist, biologist, and politician (d. 1902)
- 1853 - Lillie Langtry, British actress (d. 1929)
- 1862 - Mary Kingsley, English writer and explorer (d. 1900)
- 1876 - Rube Waddell, baseball player (d. 1914)
- 1880 - Sasha Cherny, Russian poet (d. 1932)
- 1887 - Jozef Tiso, Slovak politician (d. 1947)
- 1890 - Conrad Richter, American novelist and short story writer (d. 1968)
- 1902 - Arna Wendell Bontemps, American writer (d. 1973)
- 1907 - Yves Allégret, French film director (d. 1987)
- 1909 - Art Tatum, American jazz pianist (d. 1956)
- 1909 - Herbert Block, American cartoonist (d. 2001)
- 1911 - Ashok Kumar, Indian actor (d. 2001)
- 1915 - Terry Frost, English artist (d. 2003)
- 1915 - Cornel Wilde, American actor (d. 1989)
- 1917 - Laraine Day, American actor
- 1917 - Burr Tillstrom, American puppeteer (d. 1985)
- 1918 - Robert Hudson Walker, American actor (d. 1951)
- 1921 - Yves Montand, Italian-born singer and actor (d. 1991)
- 1923 - Faas Wilkes, Dutch football (soccer) player (d. 2006)
- 1924 - Nipsey Russell, American comedian, actor, and television personality (d. 2005)
- 1925 - Lenny Bruce, American comedian (d. 1966)
- 1925 - Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1925 - Gustav Winckler, Danish singer (d. 1979)
- 1926 - Ray Brown, American jazz bassist (d. 2002)
- 1927 - Lee Konitz, American jazz saxophonist
- 1931 - Eddie Mathews, baseball player (d. 2001)
- 1931 - Raymond Kopa, French footballer
- 1932 - Jack Colvin, American actor (d. 2005)
- 1934 - Nana Mouskouri, Greek singer
- 1938 - Hugo Young, English journalist (d. 2003)
- 1939 - T. J. Cloutier, American poker player
- 1940 - Pharoah Sanders, American saxophonist
- 1941 - Paul Simon, American singer, songwriter, and guitarist
- 1942 - Jerry Jones, American football team owner
- 1942 - Pamela Tiffin, American film actress
- 1944 - Robert Lamm, American musician (Chicago)
- 1945 - Christophe, French singer
- 1946 - Edwina Currie, British politician
- 1947 - Sammy Hagar, American singer
- 1948 - Ted Poe, American politician
- 1948 - John Ford Coley, American musician
- 1949 - Tom Mees, Sports Broadcaster (d. 1996)
- 1950 - Dan Seals, American singer and songwriter
- 1953 - Pat Day, American jockey
- 1954 - Mordechai Vanunu, Israeli nuclear technician
- 1954 - Claude Ribbe, French historian
- 1954 - George Frazier, baseball player
- 1956 - Chris Carter, American television producer
- 1958 - Jair-Rohm Parker Wells, American musician and composer
- 1959 - Marie Osmond, American entertainer
- 1960 - Ari Fleischer, Former White House Press Secretary
- 1961 - Doc Rivers, basketball player and coach
- 1962 - T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh, American actress
- 1962 - Kelly Preston, American actress
- 1962 - Jerry Rice, American football star
- 1964 - Niè Hǎishèng, Chinese astronaut
- 1964 - Christopher Judge, American actor
- 1965 - Johan Museeuw, Belgian cyclist
- 1967 - Steve Vickers, English footballer
- 1967 - Scott Cooper, American baseball player
- 1968 - Carlos Marin, Spanish baritone (Il Divo)
- 1969 - Nancy Kerrigan, American figure skater
- 1969 - Cady McClain, American actress
- 1970 - Mel Jackson, actor and R&B musician
- 1971 - Sacha Baron Cohen, British comedian
- 1971 - Pyrros Dimas, Greek weightlifter
- 1971 - Billy Bush, American TV host
- 1972 - Summer Sanders, American Olympic swimmer
- 1973 - Brian Dawkins, American football player
- 1973 - Nanako Matsushima, Japanese actress
- 1973 - Matt Hughes, Mixed Martial Fighter
- 1974 - Hawick Lau, Chinese actor and singer
- 1974 - Joseph Utsler, American rapper (Insane Clown Posse)
- 1975 - Tom Anderson, American entrepreneur
- 1975 - David Kennedy, American musician (Boxcar Racer, Angels and Airwaves)
- 1977 - Paul Pierce, American basketball player
- 1977 - Gareth Batty, English cricketer
- 1977 - Kiele Sanchez, American actress
- 1978 - Jermaine O'Neal, American basketball player
- 1979 - Wes Brown, English footballer
- 1980 - Ashanti, American musician
- 1980 - Jon Micah Sumrall, American singer (Kutless)
- 1980 - Magne Hoset, Norwegian footballer
- 1980 - Scott Parker, English footballer
- 1981 - Ryan Ashford, English footballer
- 1982 - Michael Clayton, American football player
- 1982 - Ian Thorpe, Australian swimmer
- 54 - Claudius, Roman Emperor (b. 10 BC)
- 1282 - Nichiren Japanese founder of Nichiren Buddhism (b. 1222)
- 1415 - Thomas FitzAlan, 12th Earl of Arundel, English military leader (b. 1381)
- 1508 - Edmund de Ros, 11th Baron de Ros, English politician (b. 1446)
- 1605 - Theodore Beza, French theologian (b. 1519)
- 1673 - Kristoffer Gabel, Danish statesman (b. 1617)
- 1687 - Geminiano Montanari, Italian astronomer (b. 1633)
- 1694 - Samuel von Pufendorf, German jurist (b. 1632)
- 1706 - Iyasus the Great, Emperor of Ethiopia (b. 1682)
- 1715 - Nicolas Malebranche, French philosopher (b. 1638)
- 1759 - John Henley, English minister (b. 1692)
- 1788 - Robert Nugent, 1st Earl Nugent, Irish politician and poet (b. 1702)
- 1812 - Sir Isaac Brock, British general (killed in battle) (b. 1769)
- 1815 - Joachim Murat, French marshal and King of Naples (executed) (b. 1767)
- 1825 - King Maximilian I of Bavaria (b. 1756)
- 1869 - Charles Augustin Sainte-Beuve, French literary critic (b. 1804)
- 1882 - Arthur de Gobineau, French philosopher (b. 1816)
- 1890 - Samuel Freeman Miller, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (b. 1816)
- 1905 - Sir Henry Irving, the first British actor to be knighted (b. 1838)
- 1909 - Francisco Ferrer Guardia, Spanish free-thinker (b. 1849)
- 1917 - Florence La Badie, American actress
- 1919 - Karl Adolph Gjellerup, Danish writer, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1857)
- 1931 - Ernst Didring, Swedish author (b. 1868)
- 1938 - E.C. Segar, American cartoonist (Popeye) (b. 1894)
- 1945 - Milton S. Hershey, American chocolate tycoon (b. 1857)
- 1950 - Ernest Haycox, American writer (b. 1899)
- 1955 - Manuel Ávila Camacho, President of Mexico (b. 1897)
- 1966 - Clifton Webb, American actor (b. 1889)
- 1968 - Bea Benaderet, American actress (b. 1906)
- 1971 - Stafford Smythe, National Hockey League executive
- 1974 - Ed Sullivan, American television personality (b. 1901)
- 1979 - Rebecca Helferich Clarke, English composer and violist (b. 1886)
- 1987 - Walter Brattain, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1902)
- 1987 - Kishore Kumar, Indian film playback singer and actor (b. 1929)
- 1990 - Le Duc Tho, Vietnamese general and politician, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1911)
- 2000 - Jean Peters, American actress (b. 1926)
- 2002 - Stephen Ambrose, American historian and biographer (b. 1936)
- 2003 - Bertram Brockhouse, Canadian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1918)
- 2005 - Vivian Malone Jones, American civil rights activist (b. 1942)
- 2006 - Wang Guangmei, Chinese first lady (b. 1921)
 Holidays and observances
 External links
October 12 - October 14 - September 13 - November 13 – listing of all days
nov:13 de oktobre
es:13 de octubre
eo:13-a de oktobro
fur:13 di Otubar
ga:13 Deireadh Fómhair
gl:13 de outubro
io:13 di oktobro
ia:13 de octobre
nap:13 'e ottovre
pt:13 de Outubro
scn:13 di uttùviru
vi:13 tháng 10
vec:13 de otobre
wa:13 d' octôbe