Learn more about 1200s BC
 Events and trends
- 1204 BC - Theseus, legendary King of Athens, is deposed after a reign of 30 years and succeeded by Menestheus, great-grandson of Erichthonius II of Athens and second cousin of Theseus' father Aegeus. Menestheus is reportedly assisted by Castor and Polydeuces of Sparta, who want to reclaim their sister Helen from her first husband Theseus. Theseus seeks refuge in Skyros, whose King Lycomedes is an old friend and ally. Lycomedes, however, considers his visitor a threat to the throne and proceeds to assassinate him. (Other accounts place these events a decade earlier. See 1210s BC.)
- c. 1200 BC - The Cimmerians start settling the steppes of southern Russia? (Undocumented conjecture).
- 1200 BC - Ancient Pueblo Peoples civilization in North America. (approximate date)
- 1200 BC - Olmec civilization in Mesoamerica started.
- 1200 BC - Collapse of Hittite power in Anatolia with the destruction of their capital Hattusa.
 Significant people
- Merneptah, Pharaoh of the Nineteenth Dynasty of Egypt ( 1212 BC - 1202 BC).
- Amenemses, Pharaoh of the Nineteenth Dynasty of Egypt (1202 BC - 1199 BC).ca:Dècada del 1200 aC
es:Años 1200 adC eu:K. a. 1200ko hamarkada fr:Années -1200 it:Anni 1200 a.C. he:1203 לפנה"ס nl:1209-1200 v. Chr. simple:1200 BC sk:0. roky 13. storočia pred Kr. fi:1200-vuosikymmen eaa. tt:MA 1200. yıllar zh:前1200年代